Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    So - neither Lochte or Phelps will be in the 100 free or the 100 free relay - right?

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    That dolphin kick of Kitajima's probably was at least in part responsible for the later change in the rules that now allow one downward dolphin kick on the pullout in breaststroke, but at the time it was illegal and jj is absolutely right, it gave him the winning edge in that 100 race, even apart from deserving DQ.

I don't recall there ever being an Olympic or even world team with 4 individual breaststrokers making it! Sorry for Hansen and Shanteau, but it was a pretty amazing race for the other two.

I am so hoping Natalie can pull up to top 6 tomorrow in the 100free final, but she doesn't seem to have it this week. Thrilled to see Lezak squeak in, and also very surprised that Cullen Jones pulled out 2nd, good for him!

Emotional seeing Teresa out there in that 200fly. Fran Crippen almost certainly would have been on this Olympic team for open water - it's still so hard to believe what happened and it's almost 2 years already.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    So - neither Lochte or Phelps will be in the 100 free or the 100 free relay - right?
    Phelps will certainly be, I actually think Lochte has a shot too, but that is less certain.
    Edited again to say, that is assuming Phelps wants to do that relay; I assume he does.
    Last edited by AYS; 06-30-2012 at 03:18 AM.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post

I don't recall there ever being an Olympic or even world team with 4 individual breaststrokers making it! Sorry for Hansen and Shanteau, but it was a pretty amazing race for the other two.

I am so hoping Natalie can pull up to top 6 tomorrow in the 100free final, but she doesn't seem to have it this week. Thrilled to see Lezak squeak in, and also very surprised that Cullen Jones pulled out 2nd, good for him!
    I wonder if they'll really be able to take the top 6 freestylers given all the folks swimming just one event. Aren't they strictly limited on the team size? (They were in 2008, but it worked because quite a few swimmers qualified to swim in a number of events.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I wonder if they'll really be able to take the top 6 freestylers given all the folks swimming just one event. Aren't they strictly limited on the team size? (They were in 2008, but it worked because quite a few swimmers qualified to swim in a number of events.)
    They can take up to 26 men and 26 women. I think they'll be able to take the top 6 in the 100 free for the women. It's not an issue for the men since Lochte and Phelps swim so many events.

vCash
    I would bet Phelps and Lochte will both be used in the 4 x 100 free relay final. Why bother taking the top 6 in the 100 free. Unless they are going to use a totally different 4 in prelims and finals, but usually they have a swim off of sorts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I would bet Phelps and Lochte will both be used in the 4 x 100 free relay final. Why bother taking the top 6 in the 100 free. Unless they are going to use a totally different 4 in prelims and finals, but usually they have a swim off of sorts.
    I don't think Lochte will be on the 400 free relay. Lochte's time in the semifinal was 48.91, which would have finished 7th in the final today. Perhaps he would have gone faster in the final, but we don't know that for sure. I think they'll go with Lezak, Berens, Feigan, and Jones or Grevers in the prelims. With the way Grevers is swimming, though, I could see them going with Phelps, Adrian, and Grevers in the final, with the fastest guy in the morning getting the final spot. (I'm not convinced that Jones will be able to match the time that he went today.) At any rate, I don't think Lochte went fast enough to guarantee himself a spot on the team. Phelps has been the leadoff on this relay for the last 8 years, so they know what they are going to get from him.

Regardless of who they put on the team, I don't think there's going to be a Lezak miracle this year, and the best the U.S. can hope for is silver behind Australia.
    Last edited by SpeedySucks; 06-30-2012 at 05:54 AM.

vCash
    I'd be surprised if Ryan made the 100 relay. He's never done it before and he clearly couldn't do the final today so they don't have much to base it on.

I will say, SpeedySucks, that there's almost no way they'd do Lezak, Berens, Feigan, and Grevers in the prelims and Phelps, Adrian, Grevers, and the fastest from the prelims in the finals. Jones was 2nd at trials and was on the wining relay in Beijing. He'll at least get a chance to make it onto that team.

But I agree that the US looks to hold onto the 4x200 and the Medley relay but lose the 4x100.

I hope even if he loses the 200 IM to Michael he swims a great race and isnt affected by the 200 back final. He is far enough ahead of the others in the 200 back he can give a bit less and still win, so maybe he will do that, and then be able to swim his best in the 200 I.M and maybe win. There isnt really any competition in the 200 back for him with Piersol gone is there.
    I think he'll swim a great race and I think he can win it. But with the two of them being so close, he could theoretically be only affected slightly by doing the 200 back and still have it cost him the race.

I think he is alot fitter and stronger than 2008 though so I actually think regardless how he swims the 200 back he will be able to swim his best race in the 200 I.M, even if he loses. I actually dont think it will affect him much, and it wasnt why I picked him to lose it.
    I think Ryan is far and away in the best shape of his life right now (knock on wood). He has really scaled up his training and his dedication since Beijing. And his improvements in the breast stroke have been massive. With Michael taking it a bit easy this year, I think London will probably be the first time we've ever seen the two of them compete against each other where they were both as prepared as they could possibly be. I'm pretty excited for it!

vCash
    Jones did not have a great leg in the free relay at the Olympics. I sure hope he's better this time.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by london_calling View Post
    Why do people dislike Kitagima?
    Because he beats their faves.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Because he beats their faves.
    Pretty much true. I didn't like the "primal scream" either.

vCash
    I just really hope Gyurta wins the 200 in London. That is one of my biggest wishes for the swimming competition. I have already conceded Kitajima will win the 100 now, but the 200 he could be upset by Gyurta or his teammate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Pretty much true. I didn't like the "primal scream" either.
    I can't decide whether Hansen using it as his alarm clock is brilliant (for motivation) or creepy.

vCash
    Katajima was the highlight of Mens swimming in Beijing I thought. Phelps was amazing. But I love Breastroke.

On the womens side. I loved the battle between Rice and Coventry.

vCash
    Thrilled that Jason Lezak and Nathalie Coughlin both managed to squeak in to the last possible spots on the team.

And amazed at all the new breaststroke qualifiers!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    There's only one thing I can think of to say about tonight's latest page in the Phelps/Lochte showdown journals...

Isn't it wonderful when the actual event lives up to the hype?

That was WOW!! What a race and it's just upping my excitement for the Games even more. Can't wait for the Swimming in London. I think it's going to be one heck of a memorable event!!

vCash
    It was indeed a cool race. About 15 meters before the end I thought Lochte had it. They do compete, don't they.

vCash
    Lochte & Phelps were amazing!

I still can't get over Lochte's body, the dude is built like a brick shithouse.

Missy Franklin!!! 17yo and already not only a great athlete, but a gracious competitor (Her Natalie Coughlin love!) and a poised interviewee.

And how about a for Janet Evans! Never was gonna happen, but good for her for chasing the dream.

Coughlin AND Lezak both *SQUEAKING* in for a spot on the team, let's hear it for the old farts!
    Last edited by Fergus; 07-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.

vCash
    Aw, bummed for Elizabeth Pelton - shame there's no relay event for her (unless I'm mistaken).

vCash
    Lochte THIRD
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I'm watching these for the first time this week. Where are all the Speedos?

eta: I may have to turn this off. If I have to hear about another athlete "who hates to lose" (SHOCKING!), I am going to punch a puppy.
    Last edited by PrincessLeppard; 07-02-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast