Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I wonder what happened to Katie Hoff. Complete disaster in the 400 and 200 free, failing to move out of prelims, and then didn't swim the 200IM. Her 400 swim was so odd, she was right there through the first 200 or so, and then fell off a cliff.

Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I wonder what happened to Katie Hoff. Complete disaster in the 400 and 200 free, failing to move out of prelims, and then didn't swim the 200IM. Her 400 swim was so odd, she was right there through the first 200 or so, and then fell off a cliff.

On another board I read that Rowdy Gaines said she has an "intestinal virus." Not sure where they heard/read that though...

vCash

Poor girl, once she was what now it´s Missy Franklyn, the so called ´female Phelps´ but I think that she never recovered from the 2008 olympic ´disappointment´ specially after the 400m free loss to the brit girls

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I read an article quoting Hoff as saying she had stomach flu this week, felt better and could eat, but she just didn't have it.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Swimmer's World says something about food poisoning. Rotten luck.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...,4108602.story

What is the rule in swimming? If she doesn't make the team here, is that it? Or can she be named to the team anyway?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I'm pretty sure she can't be named to the team anyway. Maybe for a relay, but since she didn't make it out of prelims, that's very doubtful (and not fair).

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Crap, what a shame for Hoff. She definitely won't be named to the team, but what awful luck. Bad for the team too, because if she's in good form, she's a valuable part of that 800 free relay.

ETA: I'm pretty sure the rule is you have to qualify for the team by finishing either top 2 in any individual event and top 6 in the 100 or 200 free (for the relays), but then, once you've qualified by that route, they can actually put you in an event (relay) you didn't qualify in - which is why someone like Phelps can always be on the 4x100free relay without actually competing finals in the 100 free at trials.
    Last edited by AYS; 06-27-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    ETA: I'm pretty sure the rule is you have to qualify for the team by finishing either top 2 in any individual event and top 6 in the 100 or 200 free (for the relays), but then, once you've qualified by that route, they can actually put you in an event (relay) you didn't qualify in - which is why someone like Phelps can always be on the 4x100free relay without actually competing finals in the 100 free at trials.
    Yes that's right. Natalie Coughlin was on the 4x200 relays in 2004 and 2008 despite not swimming the event in the finals at trials.

vCash
    Phelps takes the 200M Free with Lochte in 2nd!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Phelps takes the 200M Free with Lochte in 2nd!
    And both under Yannick Angel fastest time in the world. 2000freestyle and 100 free are shaping out to be really good at the Olympics.

vCash

I think there is another exception if a swimmer decides not to swim that event. If Phelps decides not to swim the 400 IM I think the swimmer in 3rd place gets a spot in that event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    And both under Yannick Angel fastest time in the world. 2000freestyle and 100 free are shaping out to be really good at the Olympics.
    200 free will be a battle between so many swimmers, but nobody can beat Magnussen in the 100 free.

vCash
    Props to Rachel Bootsma for making the team!! She lives in this area and her story has been extensively covered in the paper.

vCash
    May I say that the competition is going swimmingly so far.

The US Olympic team that is forming looks pretty stellar, IMHO. There have been some near world record-breaking performances, it's rather exciting to think what could happen when they are all at the very peak of their abilities in London.

There have been some nice surprises as well, so its fun to see the newbies getting their Olympic moment.

I still just can't even believe it's time for another Summer Olympics. I'm absolutely giddy in anticipation!
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-28-2012 at 04:47 AM.

vCash
    Are the Mutual of Omaha AHA moments playing everywhere? I think them are really well done.

vCash
    I'm most impressed with Breeja Larson -- 19 years old, only began competitively swimming (seriously, I guess) when she was 17, and just beat Rebecca Soni and Jessica Hardy in the 100 breaststroke. (Besides putting her on the team, that could also end up putting her on the medley relay!)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...t7V_story.html

vCash
    Katie Hoff is one of my favorite athletes, and I'm absolutely gutted for her

I think she'll go down in history on the same page as Franziska van Almsick.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 06-28-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I see that Phelps has scratched the 100free today (though Lochte still doing it). I wonder if he already has assurance he's on that relay. I know I heard Lochte is doing it specifically because he wants a shot at being on that relay - he wasn't part of that team in Beijing or Athens; in fact, don't recall him ever being on it in World champs either.

vCash
    The men's Medely relay is looking better than last year. Should be Phelps in the fly, Hansen in the breast stroke (or Shanteau if he were to beat Hansen at the Olympics), Grievers in the back stroke where he posted a great time, and then (knock on wood) Nathan Adrian in the free. I think the breast stroke and back stroke were the weak links last year and I think there's a big step up there.

4x200 Free will be interesting. They'll be at least one new team member with Vanderkaay not making the finals and Dave Walters having a broken wrist. It'll depend on what happens in the prelims, of course, but Phelps, Lochte, Dwyer, and Berens are a really solid team.

At the Olympics, can you enter the prelims for any race once you've qualified for the games or are you restricted to two per country even in the prelims?
    Last edited by Theatregirl1122; 06-28-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast