Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

Life After the Games for Five Former Olympians: Features Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen

A nice article that talks about how five former winter Olympians . . . Cohen, Lipinski, Hughes, and speedskater Joey Cheek and skiier Jeremy Bloom . . . are all getting together every month.

It also says Sarah Hughes is writing a book about skating.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I almost started a thread here in GSD earlier today but put in the Trash Can instead because they are retired competitive skaters : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84008
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    That was truly delightful. What a great idea and what a fun group.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I almost started a thread here in GSD earlier today but put in the Trash Can instead because they are retired competitive skaters : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84008
    Sorry. I was in a rush. Thanks Sylvia.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Great fun. Thanks for the link.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Love Sasha, Alex.

vCash
    That was a fun article. Both guys have impressive charities. Wonder why Tara moved to NY? It would be closer to her house in Kiawah. I would love to have a place there. Love that little island.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Well, it was an article, so that's good. But what did it really say? Nothing. What's Lipinski up to except for her Ice Channel commento? And Sarah Hughes is 'writing a book' on skating? It cannot at all be related to proper technique and aesthetic presentation, at least I hope not. Sasha? Eh. Isn't she in Columbia's 'different' school? The one for pro athletes and VIPS? I was much more interested in the skier and skateboarder's resumes. Great for the publicity but I wanted a bit more.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Well, it was an article, so that's good. But what did it really say? Nothing.
    Another reason I decided to put the article thread in the Trash Can.

Sarah Hughes just tweeted the following:
    Just arrived in Washington D.C. Thrilled to be attending the "White House Title IX 40th Anniversary Celebration" tomorrow.
    Panel discussion & event will be streamed LIVE at http://www.whitehouse.gov/live from 2-4pm EST tomorrow. Join the conv by tweeting Qs using #TitleIX
    More info at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/...omen-and-girls
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Isn't she in Columbia's 'different' school? The one for pro athletes and VIPS?
    Sasha is in the School of General Studies. It's designed for older ("non-traditional age") students, many of whom work full or part-time in addition to going to school. I believe most classes are in the evenings. It also provides more flexibility than the traditional undergrad program (Columbia College) so students don't have to take 4 courses each semester and finish their degree in 4 years (or expected to). It makes sense for someone like Sasha, b/c she travels a lot for SOI and other shows and appearances, plus she is older. I believe Tim Goebel went through the same program. Kim Navarro also graduated from GS - I think she was probably still traditional college age but I assume she needed the flexibility, plus afternoon and evening classes, to accommodate her training.

Yes, GS is easier to get into than the traditional undergrad program, but I assume the professors are the same who teach traditional undergrads and course requirements are similar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Yes, GS is easier to get into than the traditional undergrad program, but I assume the professors are the same who teach traditional undergrads and course requirements are similar.
    Neither is the case, actually. However, I don't think that that should detract from perceptions of Sasha's education. Some people seem to think she is not really studying or not taking it seriously. I am glad she was able to go back to school to achieve new goals.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    It wouldn't matter to me if they were, or if she was at a completely different school. It sounds like she's having fun and is engaged by the classes - good for her. It must be hard to "leave behind" something that has been as all consuming as skating for the elite level skaters, so I'm always happy when skaters can make a good transition to the next stage - whatever that is for them.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    How nice that they get together once a month!

vCash
    Cool that they've kept in touch after all these years.

The article mentioned they all met at 2002 Olys...Tara wasn't a competitor there. I guess she was a spectator? It surprises me because I don't recall any cameras panning to her in the audience (like they always do for Kristi/Peggy/ Dorothy/Boitano whenever they attend a skating comp).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post

The article mentioned they all met at 2002 Olys...Tara wasn't a competitor there. I guess she was a spectator? It surprises me because I don't recall any cameras panning to her in the audience (like they always do for Kristi/Peggy/ Dorothy/Boitano whenever they attend a skating comp).
    I attended the 2002 Olympics and got Tara's autograph at a signing sponsored by Hallmark. So she was definitely there at some point. Still have it on an Olympic Hallmark card.

Love the article....thanks for sharing. Sasha will always be one of my all-time favorite skaters. Her line and extension are incomparable. I loved Tara for her joy and competetive moxy and consistency....AND the 3/3 loop. I thought Sara had many lovely aspects to her skating including one of the best laybacks ever...and consistency. Wish any of the top U.S. ladies today had the fire to compete like these three.

Sometimes I cannot believe the ridiculous trash-talking that goes on around here

vCash
    That is a cool story -- thanks for posting the link.

vCash
    Sometimes I cannot believe the ridiculous trash-talking that goes on around here
    Some people will not be satisfied, whatever these Olympians choose to do with their lives.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Well, it was an article, so that's good. But what did it really say? Nothing. What's Lipinski up to except for her Ice Channel commento? And Sarah Hughes is 'writing a book' on skating? It cannot at all be related to proper technique and aesthetic presentation, at least I hope not. Sasha? Eh. Isn't she in Columbia's 'different' school? The one for pro athletes and VIPS? I was much more interested in the skier and skateboarder's resumes. Great for the publicity but I wanted a bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post

Tara commentates for Universal Sports. She WAS at the 02 OLY dinner with the other US Ladies gold medalists to welcome Sarah.

Sarah has been working on a book about the OLY gold medalists from the US.

vCash
    I love feel good articles!

Nice to see them all reconnect and enjoying whatever path they're on now.

vCash
    Sasha is in the School of General Studies. It's designed for older ("non-traditional age") students, many of whom work full or part-time in addition to going to school. I believe most classes are in the evenings. It also provides more flexibility than the traditional undergrad program (Columbia College) so students don't have to take 4 courses each semester and finish their degree in 4 years (or expected to). It makes sense for someone like Sasha, b/c she travels a lot for SOI and other shows and appearances, plus she is older. I believe Tim Goebel went through the same program. Kim Navarro also graduated from GS - I think she was probably still traditional college age but I assume she needed the flexibility, plus afternoon and evening classes, to accommodate her training.

Anybody knows what is up with Tim Goebel now? Did he graduate? What is he doing now? I'm glad that Sasha diecided to go back to school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast