Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    yes, they are very well know in the area, it's a big local newspapers (bit more than local as it about several regions). but as professional journalists they should know about quoting their sources.......

the biggest kuddos goes to umronnie and the one and ones who went through all the compilation and recounting of the programs ! I don't think that many people realise how big a work it is

and anyway, as you counted only international competitions, Brian had topped his 100th quad in competition a while ago, even only with counting the ones he landed at French Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Maybe someone could interview him about it for Europe on Ice, Golden Skate, etc? I wonder if Brian even knows. Or maybe someone could give him a little trophy at Worlds (along with Robin's MIA PSOTY award!).
    This is a pre-Worlds article, but I'm posting the link here because it confirms Joubert now knows about the 100th quad; apparently he finds the achievment rewarding

vCash
    Updates quad count after WC13:
    1 Joubert – 102
    2 Plushenko – 94
    3 Menshov – 46
    4 Reynolds – 42
    5 Fernandez – 40
    6 Voronov – 34
    7 Chan – 30
    8 Verner – 28
    9 Takahashi – 27
    10 Hanyu - 18

vCash
    Amazed by Joubert. I didn't know he landed so many quads, and still does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    Updates quad count after WC13
    I meant to post this and forgot - finally, someone (specifically, the print edition of L'Equipe) has cited FSU as the source for this story

Several skaters on the list can presumably add to their totals next month at the WTT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I meant to post this and forgot - finally, someone (specifically, the print edition of L'Equipe) has cited FSU as the source for this story
    Yay! Finally I make it into print media. Letters to the editor that I wrote were never published but obscure figure skating stats do. The world is a funny place.

Several skaters on the list can presumably add to their totals next month at the WTT.
    Whuch countries have qualified for WTT? I assume Canada and Russia are in. Probably USA. Japan? They don't even have a pair now, do they? And since P/B missed a few comps for injury does France qualify? Who else? Italy? China?

vCash
    Whuch countries have qualified for WTT? I assume Canada and Russia are in. Probably USA. Japan? They don't even have a pair now, do they? And since P/B missed a few comps for injury does France qualify? Who else? Italy? China?
    I imagine France will qualify - ISU Championship points are counted based on whatever event yielded the most points for that country's top skater(s), so it'll be Worlds that counts for P/B rather than Euros, and they didn't miss the GP. No idea re China vs. Italy, each country has strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't matter much for the quad list, though.

vCash
    Forgot to post update after WTT.

1 Joubert – 104
    2 Plushenko – 94
    3 Menshov – 49 (the two quads in the free do not appear on the protocols because he withdrew shortly after)
    4 Reynolds – 45
    5 Fernandez – 40
    6 Voronov – 34
    7 Chan – 31
    8 Verner – 28
    8 Takahashi – 28
    10 Hanyu - 18

vCash
    is this an all time list? or just these past years? I supposed Yagudin and Goebel would be right up there too

vCash
    Forgot to post update after WTT.
    Thanks for the update

Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    is this an all time list? or just these past years? I supposed Yagudin and Goebel would be right up there too
    Active skaters. See umronnie's older post for information on Yagudin and Goebel; they're well behind Joubert and Plushenko.

vCash
    If his body holds out, I would dearly love to see Plushenko reach 100. He deserves it.

The scary part comes when you imagine how many quads Joubert and Plushenko have done in practice. You'd have to be thinking at least five times that number. And then it starts getting scary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Yagudin couldn't be right up there, please remember that he was forced to retire from competitive skating at the age of 22 basically, due to a severe hip condition. And if memory serves, Yagudin didn't attempt quadruple jumps during his first season in the senior ranks. Who knows how many quads he would have landed under different circumstances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Yagudin couldn't be right up there, please remember that he was forced to retire from competitive skating at the age of 22 basically, due to a severe hip condition. And if memory serves, Yagudin didn't attempt quadruple jumps during his first season in the senior ranks. Who knows how many quads he would have landed under different circumstances.
    It is unfortunate that Yag was forced to retire due to his hip condition. He was one of the standouts IMO. Amazing that Joubert beat Plushenko in the number of quads. Hanyu is still young. He'll get there
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    So I spent a few days checking out records, trying to find the "next runner up". Turns out I was wrong about Stojko - he hasn't landed nearly as many quads as I thought.

I'm missing some data, of course (for early comps under 6.0 for which I could not find youtube clips) so I will list the precentage of competitions I managed to cover. Who wold you guess came next to Jobert and Plushy?

Yagudin - I managed to cover all of his competitions except for some qualifying rounds and easrly comps of 1996. With 92% of his competitions accounted for I have him at 56 quads at an astounding success rate of 90%! And to think he seemed vulnerable next to Plush.

For Goebel I covered 86% of his comps. I have him at 48 quads and an amazing success rate of 89%! I estimate his total at 56 (48/86%) - so about the same as Yags.

Lambiel I also covered 86% of his comps. Luckily there were more under CoP. I have him at 46 confirmed quads. His success rate is 72%.

Elvis is somewhere in the mid 20s, with a success rate of about 60%. Amazing that he's had such an impact on the sport with these stats.

Of the skaters in competition today I have:
    Kevin Reynolds at 31 quads and a success rate of 63% (he tends to underrotate)
    Takahashi at 23 and a 61% success rate
    Chan at 20 and a 74% success rate
    Brezina (mentioned above as "the next king") at only 7 quads and a success rate of 58%.
    Will check up Fernandez and Amodio next. Anyone else?

Of course, Joubert and Plushenko are still competing, as well...

I just notice there's no Chinese skaters on the list. IIRC, their amount of quads should be quite decent too.

vCash
    Chengjiang Li used to quad, & didn't Min Zhang as well?.

Zhang is the first skater to land a clean quadruple toeloop in the short program at an ISU Championship (1999 Four
    Continents). The option to include a quad in the short program exists only since the season 1998/99. Zhang has
    landed quadruple Salchows in competition as well. Zhang names three time World Champion Elvis Stojko of
    Canada as his idol in skating. Zhang competed in the 1994 Olympic Winter Games and finished 20th.
    And then there's Han Yan...

vCash
    Yes Chengjiang Li used to have huge quads. Takeshi Honda also did 3 quad in a program once.

vCash
    The Kings of Quad – The Last Hurrah

In honor of the kings of quad who will be retiring after the games, and to pass the time until the competition starts, here are the stats as of February 5th:

1 Joubert 105
    2 Plushenko 95
    (3 Menshov 56) won't be in Sochi
    4 Fernandez 48
    (5 Voronov 45) won't be in Sochi
    5 Reynolds 45
    6 Chan 39
    7 Verner 34
    8 Takahashi 31
    9 Hanyu 26
    (10 Kovtun 21) will he be in Sochi?

Will Plushy break 100? Let the games begin.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789