Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Joubert! It may not be the most important achievement, but it's still pretty neat and a testament to longevity, hard work, and willingness to push himself and take risks.

Now if only someone would report on this somewhere more official, I'll finally be able to source that Wikipedia claim
    Maybe someone could interview him about it for Europe on Ice, Golden Skate, etc? I wonder if Brian even knows. Or maybe someone could give him a little trophy at Worlds (along with Robin's MIA PSOTY award!).

Allez Brian!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Maybe someone could interview him about it for Europe on Ice, Golden Skate, etc? I wonder if Brian even knows. Or maybe someone could give him a little trophy at Worlds (along with Robin's MIA PSOTY award!).
    I doubt he knows. When he tied the Euros medal record two years ago, he was asked about it and had no idea - and that's a much bigger achievement.

As for the proposed award presentation... see here. Actually, I doubt I'll ever make it to any Worlds, and certainly not this season.

vCash
    Well, I e-mailed the ISU and sent them my spreadsheet. I doubt they'd do anything with it, though.

Just to demonstrate how big an achievement that is - 100 quads is more than the entire sqaud of Canadaian men did since 2001/2 (Joubert's first senior season), and that includes all of Reynolds', Chan's and Sandhu's qauds, plus the two Elvis landed at SLC. It is also more than the entire Japanese team did (probably ever), as well as the entire American team... Only the Russian quad-masters could accumulate more - together (and that even without Plushy).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    Well, I e-mailed the ISU and sent them my spreadsheet. I doubt they'd do anything with it, though.

Just to demonstrate how big an achievement that is - 100 quads is more than the entire sqaud of Canadaian men did since 2001/2 (Joubert's first senior season), and that includes all of Reynolds', Chan's and Sandhu's qauds, plus the two Elvis landed at SLC. It is also more than the entire Japanese team did (probably ever), as well as the entire American team... Only the Russian quad-masters could accumulate more - together (and that even without Plushy).
    Hi umronnie

I was super amazed by your tremendous work. Then I got a little bit interested in counting quads for Brian. At the beginning I just wanted to know how he got 100 quads in these years. However, after all the counting done, I found that there might be 2 more quads than 100.

Here is my method.
    1) I checked all the ISU international competitions (GP EC WC OG) including 2 senior B events. Even though I still missed some events or programs since lack of videos or reports, such as QR at Worlds 2002 and 2003, QR at Euro 2002, SP at GPF 2002-03, and two programs at SA 2001. I am wondering if you could provide me some information about those events.
    2) I also used a pretty strict way to rule out the hard hand-down but not actual fall quads, such as 2nd 4T of FS at GPF 2006 (a couple of GOE-2), and some similar ones in his early career (4T in both FSs at GPF 2002-03 and FS at Euro 2002), as well as some obvious UR like the opening in FS of Trophee Lalique 2002.
    3) I'd also like to mention that I did not count international competitions such as Japan Open 2007, Marshall's 2004 and Campbell 2004.

I am willing to send my spreadsheet and discuss further more with you.

vCash
    This is a great achievement and I think Joubert should receive a some kind of official announcement for it from the ISU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    This is a great achievement and I think Joubert should receive a some kind of official announcement for it from the ISU.
    {Raises hand in agreement} That would make two of us.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    {Raises hand in agreement} That would make two of us.
    It would be nice if it was mentioned somewhere and for umronnie to get some credit for taking on this project and tracking all those competitions and jumps!

vCash
    I would love to see Joubert recognised for this. Well done!

Someone ought to tell Plushy, too...I'm sure he'd be first in line to congratulate him.

vCash
    It would be nice if it was mentioned somewhere
    I think you could send the spreadsheet to Icenetwork (Mickey Brown, editor or Lynn Rutherford, writer) and/or IFS (Susan Russell) - I'd send it to both. I would think someone would do something with it, a little squib at least - it's a milestone after all.

vCash
    Looks like someone has been reading this thread... but why didn't they credit the source?

vCash
    Looks like someone has been reading this thread... but why didn't they credit the source?
    You could also ask why the article totally failed to mention that a) Brian won with only a 0.12 margin on a guy who was 7th in US Nats and hadn't been in an international competition in, like, FOREVER and b) that his performance, while not bad, wasn't nearly enough if the other favorites at Worlds skated half as well as they can

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    You could also ask why the article totally failed to mention that a) Brian won with only a 0.12 margin on a guy who was 7th in US Nats and hadn't been in an international competition in, like, FOREVER and b) that his performance, while not bad, wasn't nearly enough if the other favorites at Worlds skated half as well as they can
    Why would anyone bother to write all of that crap in article about Brian landing the 100th quad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Why would anyone bother to write all of that crap in article about Brian landing the 100th quad
    What Ant said - the article, and this thread, are about the skaters who've landed a lot of quads, not about the merit of people's skating at the Challenge Cup. Joubert's goal at the Challenge Cup was to work on doing two different quads in his programs, and it's nice that along the way he got #100.

There is a mistake in the article, however - Joubert is currently ranked 11th in the world, not eighth. Unless they mean he moved up eight spots? I don't recall what his previous ranking was.

vCash
    What Ant said - the article, and this thread, are about the skaters who've landed a lot of quads, not about the merit of people's skating at the Challenge Cup. Joubert's goal at the Challenge Cup was to work on doing two different quads in his programs, and it's nice that along the way he got #100.

There is a mistake in the article, however - Joubert is currently ranked 11th in the world, not eighth. Unless they mean he moved up eight spots? I don't recall what his previous ranking was.
    I mentioned that because they continue in the article by noting that the Challenge Cup result and the fact that this victory helped him move up to 8th in the world (I can confirm that's what the article says btw ) should give him a confidence boost for Worlds. Given his actual performance at CC, was point was to say that probably not so much.....

That being said, and to go back on track with the content of this thread, it's nice to see that his accomplishment of landing 100 quads in career is being recognized
    Last edited by rayhaneh; 02-27-2013 at 12:45 PM.

vCash
    I mentioned that because they continue in the article by noting that the Challenge Cup result and the fact that this victory helped him move up to 8th in the world (which should answer your question) should give him confidence for Worlds. Given his actual performance at CC, was point was to say that probably not so much.....
    So the throw away comment at the end of the article about the upcoming world championships should have been re-written to eclipse the actual subject of the article...okay....maybe you should email them and let them know

vCash
    I think that's what they meant - prior to Challenge Cup he had 2233 points which I think would have put him 19th in the rankings.

ETA: he's 8th in the season world rankings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    So the throw away comment at the end of the article about the upcoming world championships should have been re-written to eclipse the actual subject of the article...okay....maybe you should email them and let them know
    Or maybe they could not have made that thrown-away comment at the end?

Anyway, I don't really understand why my comment is such a problem (apart from going off topic, for which I apologize)

vCash
    I mentioned that because they continue in the article by noting that the Challenge Cup result and the fact that this victory helped him move up to 8th in the world (whether that's right or not) should give him a confidence boost for Worlds. Given his actual performance at CC, was point was to say that probably not so much...
    But since he accomplished his stated goal (trying two quads, and he was close with the LP 4S) why wouldn't it make him feel good? If Kevin Reynolds can get the marks he did when landing three quads, I imagine that a similar skate (if h's up to it, and that's a big if) by Joubert should score very well. Final comment on the CC: Joubert's score was a shade higher than at last year's Challenge Cup.

Anyway, as Ant noted, it's a throwaway comment in a brief report about the 100th quad ( to that). And I still think they should have credited umronnie in some way; considering the mentions of Plushenko and more importantly, Menshov, it's very clear that the information could only have originated from this thread.

vCash
    Wow, that's. The Menshov-mention (say that 3 times in a row) is a dead giveaway. As I said, I wrote to the ISU and sent them my findings. I did mention Plushy, but not Meshov.

I don’t mind not getting credit, I started this project for fun and I'm glad Brian is getting some kind of recognition, but – is this a reputable web site? It doesn’t seem very responsible to use data from an unaccredited, unsubstantiated fan website without some independent verification. OTOH, now Wikipedia can sight this article as verification for that claim on Brian's page(which I now see that they did).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    I don’t mind not getting credit, I started this project for fun and I'm glad Brian is getting some kind of recognition, but – is this a reputable web site? It doesn’t seem very responsible to use data from an unaccredited, unsubstantiated fan website without some independent verification. OTOH, now Wikipedia can sight this article as verification for that claim on Brian's page(which I now see that they did).
    It's the website of a regional newspaper for Poitou-Charentes and other parts of central France, so naturally they write about Joubert quite often. I believe it's a reputable publication, but they really should cite their sources.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast