Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm certainly not going to sit through every quad attempt each guy has made with a timer to measure how long the setup was . That said, I'm not sure Chan's setup is that much shorter/more difficult than everyone else's. Also - IMO, the most important criteria for the success of a jump are rotation and landing (we can throw in correct technique, too, I guess). That's not to say I want to see jumps telegraphed, but if a skater needs an extra couple of seconds of setup to get a good quad, I have no problem with that.

Since I'd rather not make this thread a debate on the merits of Patrick Chan's skating, let's leave it at that, okay?
    Agree ...when I've finished what I have to say about it like you have.

No one was ever using a timer measuring the setup time of a jump. That was not the question. When someone's jump could fit into the music, it could be felt shorter in setup time. When someone needs to ignore the music for the preparation of a jump, particularly a hard jump like quad, it stands out as if this person needs more time for a jump. I do have a little problem with someone using too much time than the music flow allowed for a setup for the quad jump, like Daisuke Takahashi's new LP.
    Last edited by Eyre; 01-07-2013 at 04:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    I do have a little problem with someone using too much time than the music flow allowed for a setup for the quad jump, like Daisuke Takahashi's new LP.
    I am trying to pretend he never changed his LP after last season.

vCash
    Perhaps the number of quads divided by number of years competing might give a truer picture of the averages, if this hasn't been done.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Perhaps the number of quads divided by number of years competing might give a truer picture of the averages, if this hasn't been done.
    Well, yes and no. It's probably easier to land them for skaters who are in their early twenties, haven't been through years of senior competition and haven't dealt with the effects of that on their bodies. Older skaters also tend to do fewer events per season. I imagine Joubert's average per year would have been higher a few years ago, and Plushenko's as well.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For the early quad kings, there were also less opportunities to compete - the GPF had not been formalized, and there was no 4CC (although there was an extra Olys in there!). Plus, as has already been discussed, in the early days, before CoP there was less incentive to do quads, other than as icing on the cake so to speak, and for personal development. You could win without them. Now, if your competitors are doing them, you pretty much have to for the points.

vCash
    Plushy landed cca in 100 quads up to 2006 in all competitions, not only in internationally competitons.( wikipedia) He was 23 y.o.
    Last edited by lala; 01-09-2013 at 05:46 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Plushy landed in cca 100 quads up to 2006 in all competitions, not only in internationally competitons.( wikipedia) He was 23 y.o.
    But that isn't what this thread is about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    But that isn't what this thread is about.

The Kings of quads...

vCash
    The OP has made it so clear in the opening post:

Quote Originally Posted by umronnie View Post
    Reading this I was curious to know whether they have, indeed, landed 100 quads in international competition, and – which one of them has landed more quads?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post

The Kings of quads...
    Read the first post....or any post at all, i'm not sure you bother to read very much in any thread.

vCash
    It would seem that to lala, it's all about Plushenko and nothing else matters. Wonder what they will do when Plushy actually retires from skating. Will they still follow him as intensely as they do now? I understand about being uber but I fear lala may be taking it to another level -- perhaps their own rep level, dare I say?
    Crazy about sports!

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Wonder what they will do when Plushy actually retires from skating. Will they still follow him as intensely as they do now?
    It's not like he hasn't retired before, and yes, many of his fans continued to follow him intensely then. He put together lots of great shows and had interesting side projects (Eurovision, political stuff). But getting back on topic, I'm not sure if he did quads in the shows. Actually it is an interesting question (and you'd have to be a real uber to know this), how many quads did he land in exhibition between the 2006 Olympics and 2009 CoR? Guessing not a lot cause of show lighting, although Plushy is insane enough to try. It must have been so hard to get it back if he hadn't been practicing it regularly.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I respect and admire Plushy very much, but these ubers are influencing me to want to avoid him. This kind of extreme infatuation has got a huge "ick" factor. Bless their hearts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I respect and admire Plushy very much, but these ubers are influencing me to want to avoid him. This kind of extreme infatuation has got a huge "ick" factor. Bless their hearts.
    I think that's true for ubers in general. Chan ubers have ruined his skating for me, though I'm trying to overcome this prejudice I just don't get why some people can only like a skater if they perceive said skater as perfect and superior to others in all aspects. To me that's a variation on being a fair weather fan.

umronnie, I have a challenge for you: can you post a list of who has done the most quads other than a 4T? I figure Goebel and Fernandez will be on it, and Amodio and Zhang as well.

YEAH!
    vCash

umronnie, I have a challenge for you: can you post a list of who has done the most quads other than a 4T? I figure Goebel and Fernandez will be on it, and Amodio and Zhang as well.
    I'm actually thinking Michael Weiss could be somewhere on there, since the two footed quad lutz may count (if rotated), and I remember him doing that a lot. Klimkin had a sal, but I don't think he used it much. Did Chengjiang Li have the sal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I'm actually thinking Michael Weiss could be somewhere on there, since the two footed quad lutz may count (if rotated), and I remember him doing that a lot. Klimkin had a sal, but I don't think he used it much. Did Chengjiang Li have the sal?
    Kevin Reynolds as well. He does the 4s quite regularly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I'm actually thinking Michael Weiss could be somewhere on there, since the two footed quad lutz may count (if rotated), and I remember him doing that a lot.
    He didn't do it a lot. 1998 Nationals looked pretty good in real time but was two footed and not rotated. I think he tried at one or two international events but didn't come even that close. His other quad attempts were toe loops and also inconsistent.

I was going to suggest Reynolds and Klimkin as well. I haven't done the research though.

vCash
    I think that's true for ubers in general. Chan ubers have ruined his skating for me,though I'm trying to overcome this prejudice
    Takahashi ubers have largely ruined his skating for me. I know that I should have appreciated him more than I do now and I did appreciate him more in the past. I'm trying.

And Plushy uber like lala has done great negative jobs on me, too.

vCash
    I was thinking anyone who tries the sal more than the toe, so maybe someone like Frederick Dambier, who definitely landed a few 4S (i don't think he ever attempted the 4T), but my money would be on Goebel.

Re Ubers: I found not reading anything to do with Chan, interviews, threads on internet boards, and just watching his skating has turned me into a fan.

On Plush - seeing him skate live at Europeans finally made me understand what doesn't come across on TV, so I appreciate him more than i ever have....but since I still only get to watch him on TV i don't massively enjoy his performances. I watched the taped cvoerage of the Europeans programmes I saw live, and just noted how unfavourably it compared to live.

vCash
    It was the Kwan ubers (in the US media even more than the fans) that prevented me from appreciating a very nice skater as much as I would have if I'd been allowed to develop that appreciation on my own.

But she never did any quads much less as king of them.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast