View Poll Results: The Perfect Russia Pairs Exhibition: Belousova and Protopopov VS Gordeeva and Grinkov

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash

The Perfect Russia Pairs Exhibition: Belousova and Protopopov VS Gordeeva and Grinkov

vCash
    I picked G&G.My most favorite Meditation from Thais is by B&S (it's 'from Thais' not 'On Thais'- Thais being the title of the opera that has this music).

However, it may be interesting to compare Moonlight Sonata by G&G with the same music by B&P (The Protopopovs) and 'Meditation from Thais' by the same pairs.

'Meditation' by G&G:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJYhweun0A
    (I prefer the Protopopovs)

'Moonlight Sonata' by The Protopopovs (1985- I am sure there is an earlier version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qky5kw67nX4

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I wanted to be fair to G/G, and their Meditation program is just too immature to compare with the Protopopovs.

The Protopopovs did the same Moonlight Sonata exhibit in the 60s. The only differences was their speed was better and their costumes were less voidy. I would have used it but it was no longer available online.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 02-01-2014 at 08:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I wanted to be fair to G/G, and their Meditation program is just too immature to compare with the Protopopovs.

The Protopopovs did the same Moonlight Sonata exhibit in the 60s. The only differences was their speed was better and their costumes were less voidy. I would have used it but it was no longer available online.
    I remember watching it on yt at one time, but it's been a few years.

vCash
    The programs can be downloaded on fsvids.net website.

I love both pairs and find it difficult to choose the one over the other. G&G are slightly ahead in my mind, but perhaps that's because they have a special place in my heart for making me notice pairs skating in 1994 which was when I first really began watching this sport.

vCash
    G&G for me, because of the pure basic skating of Ekaterina and the fact that I grew up with them !
    But I like both pairs, of course.
    My favorite exhibition by G&G is Reverie, from 1994 Olympics :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLnF1cmDLQ

I also love The man I love !

vCash
    I understand why you like Katia's basics, but I think Ludmilla in full blum was amazing. Her core strength was incredible and it showed in her elegant held out positions. There are elements in B&P's exhibition that I don't think any pair would have been able to replicate, not because of the complexity but the sheer strength. B&P hold out the extension of their movements so long.

Btw when B&P part on individual outside edges then come back together in a pair spiral.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 02-05-2014 at 07:41 PM.