Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Hmm, didn't think of that. Interesting perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Or is she working on her own behalf? My first thought, last week when she found the check, was that she knew someone who was on the plane that the terrorists blew up.
    That could be an interesting twist...very John Grishamish.

vCash
    But why would she leave the framed cheque right out in the open for Nolan to see? If had some mischievous intention, I would think she'd hide it somewhere safe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    But why would she leave the framed cheque right out in the open for Nolan to see? If had some mischievous intention, I would think she'd hide it somewhere safe.
    Why would she hide it? Nolan knows the check exists.

She easily lied when asked. Not to mention she basicaly gave Nolan a chance to say something.

If she had hid it, DavidnClarke's name stays out of the conversation. She has some reason for wanting it in the open.
    Last edited by ArtisticFan; 10-30-2012 at 12:00 AM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Aiden probably provided Treadmill with the contents of that folder.
    I doubt it, because that would seriously undermine Emily and I believe he's on her side. Treadwell has tons of contacts from when he wrote the book, so not surprising that he knew of an old injury. btw, one would guess that happened when she was older, not when Treadwell interviewed her as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I hate that Aiden is conspiring with Daniel to take control of Nolcorp. Yay for Emily for saying NO WAY!
    I think Aiden is up to something else. I don't think he's interested in becoming rich and powerful - he's just using the obviously vulnerable daddy-issues Daniel to further his own agenda.

Remember that he's on a revenge track too - we don't yet know what it is. But I do think he won't screw over Emily, and since he just found out that Nolan is important to her, I can't imagine he will screw him over either.

And thankfully, Nolan is now waking up and will hopefully get back in control of the company he has been neglecting of late.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    So the question is when did she fall in love with him. Was it an act on his part? Her part? Is it a case of Stockholm Syndrome or did she really get to know him? How much did he trust her and vice versa? Obviously he didn't tell her everything, as she is not aware that Emanda is actually her daughter, David's innocence in the terrorist act, the WHM killing David, etc. If she is aware, she's doing a good job of hiding it.
    From what I can tell, WHM was supposed to kill Kara, and didn't for whatever reason - perhaps to use her against the Graysons, given his habit of going rogue. She in her mental state thought she was being rescued and that she had Victoria to thank for it, and our smooth Victoria doesn't miss a beat and just went along with it.

I'm guessing that WHM had Kara well under control all these years, and that had he lived, there's no way he would have let her get anywhere near the Hamptons, or even catch the news for that matter. Recall that WHM also had another house - the one filled with clocks - so he's been leading a double or triple life for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've heard that Emily sold her shares in Nolcorp, though. It makes sense in retrospect, though: she'd be far more involved in his business if she did still have a 49% interest.
    I think so too - just last week we were wondering if Padma had id'd her, given that she was a major shareholder. Mind you, if she's going back to David Clarke's time, and has discovered the initial investment, then she either knows or is close to knowing that his daughter once owned a large share of the company. This seriously compromises Emily's careful switcheroo with Amanda - who is supposed to be a poor orphan, not an extremely wealthy heiress. The question will be, where did that money go?

I can't say I'm thrilled about this whole financial angle on the story ... but at least it's better than the eye-rolling saga of the Porters.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Or is she working on her own behalf? My first thought, last week when she found the check, was that she knew someone who was on the plane that the terrorists blew up.
    VERY interesting thought. Further to above - Padma perhaps is tracing where the money went, because she believes she has a claim on it - like you say perhaps a family member of someone who died on the plane. Or a Thomas Crown Affair style character, looking to recover the insurance money. Or another Talented Mr Hamptons - someone with financial smarts who knows that tens of millions or more is missing, and thinks that she might be able to find it to her own advantage.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    BTW, does anyone else find it just a little bit straining belief that Kara would have zero recognition of her real daughter? If Emily had been a baby when last they'd met, it would make sense. But by age 5 her facial structures would be sufficiently formed, and the grown-up Emily should retain enough features for Kara to recognize her when she's staring her right in the face. Sure, Kara was bat-crap crazy and hopped up on who knows what drugs ... but still.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    ^ I agree. I actually was surprised that the two met up face to face so quickly. I figured the writers would try to keep them apart for a while in order to avoid that huge plot hole but maybe they figured it would be better to just dive in head first. They did leave a moment of pause when the two came up to each other but obviously it was only for dramatic effect.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    BTW, does anyone else find it just a little bit straining belief that Kara would have zero recognition of her real daughter? If Emily had been a baby when last they'd met, it would make sense. But by age 5 her facial structures would be sufficiently formed, and the grown-up Emily should retain enough features for Kara to recognize her when she's staring her right in the face. Sure, Kara was bat-crap crazy and hopped up on who knows what drugs ... but still.
    Have you ever known an adoptee who met her real parents later in life? I've known several. Zero, zippo connection, and massive heartbreak when they find out there's nothing more there than some superficial characteristics. We want to believe we would just "know", but the truth is, there is no magical, mystical family connection. Outside of a fantasy novel, blood does not call to blood.

I like she didn't recognize her. Realistically, she wouldn't. And you don't necessarily look like the person you're going to grow into at five as you do as an adult. Braces can change face shape. How you do your eyebrows can change it. Hair color changes. Typically, when children are younger they resemble their father. As adults, not as much. Children typically have sweet, round faces so adults will take care of them but most of us grow out of that.

We're not nearly as good as we think we are at recognizing who belongs with whom. Study after study has shown that people only see similarities/differences as they're coached to do so. If you're a six foot tall Indian guy and you tell someone the five foot blonde girl is your sister, they'll start to see similar noses, hand gestures, etc. Show people fraternal twins and tell them they're two total strangers, they won't see any resemblance. When I was young, I was classified as failure to thrive. No one would classify me as such now Some are tall in middle school...and then that's it, they're done growing. Others are average height or short, but shoot up in high school to be giants.

Plus, it's not like there aren't superficial similarities between Amily and Emanda: brown eyes. Nice blonde highlight jobs. Similar height. One slender, one curvy, but neither body type would manifest at five.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    But that is not AT ALL the same as not recognizing the daughter you raised from birth to age 5 or 6. I will suspend my disbelief but all the evidence you cite is quite different.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont know anyone that doesnt look somewhat like what they looked like at 5. if this was real life, i would say kara was stupid. but for a soap opera, it works fine.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    But that is not AT ALL the same as not recognizing the daughter you raised from birth to age 5 or 6. I will suspend my disbelief but all the evidence you cite is quite different.
    Actually, some of it is. Parents don't recognize their children even if they raised them up to five, six, or even ten. Foster children reunited with their parents after just a couple of years don't always recognize their kids. That little girl they show at the beginning? She could very easily be Emily. Or Amanda. Or my great-niece Lexi. Or the neighbor's daughter. Or any number of children you see in a typical class. Many, many little white girls have blonde hair and light eyes, whether it's light brown, light green, light blue. Over time, both typically darken. You lose baby fat. Your features can get longer, more pronounced, change through braces, injury, surgery. Hair texture changes. Skin tone changes.

As for somewhat, I look somewhat like a lot of people. I look somewhat like my cousin. I don't look at all like my younger brother. I look a lot like my best friend. We've all had the experience of someone coming up to them and say you must be related to so-and-so, or have some total stranger acost them saying, "omg, I haven't seen you in FOREVER! Since HIGH SCHOOL!" Maybe even been the total stranger CONVINCED the person you're talking to was your best friend from elementary school. I'm sure I somewhat resemble myself at five...and probably a lot of people on this board too at age five.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm very, very happy she didn't recognize her. To me, it would be completely unrealistic to look at someone after being separated for 20 years and just "know." It's hokey in the extreme.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I also have no problem with Kara not recognizing Emily.

Aside from the fact that she was mentally ill at the time and heavily medicated immediately following, which could easily distort her memory, the key thing to me is that she believes Amanda is her daughter, wants to connect with her and is excited about her grandchild. With all that pulling her to Amanda, why would she stop and think "but maybe it's not really her"? Even seeing Emily - and yes they did have a meaningful look and perhaps Kara saw something familiar as we often do in others - shouldn't immediately make her go "wait, she looks familiar, maybe she's really my daughter and Amanda is not."

These are not questions that most people ask - switched identities happen on tv all the time, but are rare in real life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont know anyone that doesnt look somewhat like what they looked like at 5. if this was real life, i would say kara was stupid. but for a soap opera, it works fine.
    I'd normally agree with this, but I don't look at all like I did at that age. Different hair, different nose (sadly, it was better when I was younger ) and a friend of mine was blonde as a kid but now has nearly black hair. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I also have no problem with Kara not recognizing Emily.

Aside from the fact that she was mentally ill at the time and heavily medicated immediately following, which could easily distort her memory, the key thing to me is that she believes Amanda is her daughter, wants to connect with her and is excited about her grandchild. With all that pulling her to Amanda, why would she stop and think "but maybe it's not really her"? Even seeing Emily - and yes they did have a meaningful look and perhaps Kara saw something familiar as we often do in others - shouldn't immediately make her go "wait, she looks familiar, maybe she's really my daughter and Amanda is not."

These are not questions that most people ask - switched identities happen on tv all the time, but are rare in real life.
    That's a good point - expectation often clouds our view. Kara expects that Amanda is her daughter, so she sees what she wants to see.

Alternatively, Kara knows full well that Emily is Amanda, which would explain their little scene at the end and also the scene in the car when Kara told her about David and asked if she thought Amanda really forgave her. She's been playing the Graysons (or trying to), so why not play Emily?

I think that we, as the audience, expect that we know what's going on since we often find out about plot twists before other characters. What if that expectation is clouding our view of Kara's behaviour?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post

Alternatively, Kara knows full well that Emily is Amanda, which would explain their little scene at the end and also the scene in the car when Kara told her about David and asked if she thought Amanda really forgave her. She's been playing the Graysons (or trying to), so why not play Emily?
    This is also a good possibility, especially given the clues you describe. Maybe Kara learned a thing or two from WHM, and is smarter than we think. Plus, while certainly trying to drown her own child points to some kind of mental illness, this is tv, and she might be the sanest character on the show - she might have been drugged, Gaslit, etc, and Emily's memory might be faulty.

I think that we, as the audience, expect that we know what's going on since we often find out about plot twists before other characters. What if that expectation is clouding our view of Kara's behaviour?
    Definitely. It was Matryeshka's post saying that people often see what they want to see that made me think Kara was seeing what she wanted to see, and it stands to reason that the writers can also use power of suggestion to influence what we think too.

Or they're just f*cking with us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Or they're just f*cking with us.
    I think that's most likely

As for Fauxmanda's lack of scar...is it such a bad thing that everyone know's she's not Amanda? It doesn't mean that Emily's exposed. It could be a good way to write her out, at least for now. That said, I feel sorry for her. Emily's manipulated her the whole time they've known each other and all she's ever wanted is a family...even though she's a stripper and a murderer, I'm okay with her staying with Jack

vCash
    True story: my mother did not see me for a year when I was 9-10 year old, and she did not recognize me when she saw me again for the first time. I had to call "mom" out a few times before she did a double take.

vCash
    Jack needs to just run away in the night and take the baby with him. Amily can have idiot Declan.

I considered Kara knowing who her real daughter is, and I don't know if the writers know yet. I think they're leaving it open depending on where other storylines take them.

vCash
    Once Upon a Time and Revenge is my favourite one-two punch since Klimova/Ponomarenko and Usova/Zhulin.

Aiden's suspicions over Ashley are intriguing. Do we know what anything about Aiden's story...something about a sister?

vCash

Aiden's suspicions over Ashley are intriguing. Do we know what anything about Aiden's story...something about a sister?
    He trained with Emily to save his sister, but he couldn't save her in the end. No idea what that means.

I'm surprised Mason is the first person to work out the Emily/Amanda switch, and that it took so long to make the connection. Victoria, for someone who is so suspicious, is quite dense. She KNOWS they were both in juvy, it was her info that lead Mason to make the connection, but she just...hasn't.

I guess it wouldn't be really in the interest of the plot if they were to piece it together now though

vCash
    OMG you are so right!

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast