Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It would be for an event that occurred forty years ago. I think it says it all that the Israeli government is not among those pushing this.
    I guess I don't understand why the fact that it was 40 years ago matters...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I guess I don't understand why the fact that it was 40 years ago matters...
    Because there are numerous tragedies that have connection to the Olympic games, and it's not feasible to have minutes of silence for all of them every Olympic games. I don't see the rationale for a moment of silence for the victims of the Munich games, but not a moment of silence for the victims of the bombing at the Atlanta games.

The point of the Olympics is to celebrate nations coming together for peaceful competition. So the focus of an opening ceremony should be on celebrating the present athletes and recognizing contemporary events. Memorials serve a wholly different function and definitely have their place. But not at the opening ceremonies.

vCash
    OK, nobody else is going to say it so I will. A minute of silence is a downer on what is supposed to be a celebration of the world coming together. We don't want to be reminded that certain groups of people hate each other. It's the Olympics.
    Yeah . . . but the hate doesn't stop, whether we want to be reminded or not. It would be a lovely world if we could suspend all hate whenever we all get together for a big fun ceremony, but we can't.

I guess what I'm saying is, an acknowledgment like this wouldn't seem out of place to me. Life is made up of celebration and tragedy all mixed together, so I don't quite see why ceremonies can't be. But that's just my $.02.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Yeah . . . but the hate doesn't stop, whether we want to be reminded or not. It would be a lovely world if we could suspend all hate whenever we all get together for a big fun ceremony, but we can't.
    Speak for yourself. I have no problems doing just that for three and a half hours once every for years.

Except if a slam poet shows up.

I guess what I'm saying is, an acknowledgment like this wouldn't seem out of place to me. Life is made up of celebration and tragedy all mixed together, so I don't quite see why ceremonies can't be. But that's just my $.02.
    You set a precedent and then every group will be wanting their minute of silence. Why not a minute of silence for the victims of the Atlanta Centennial Park bombings? Or the Georgian killed in Vancouver?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Except if a slam poet shows up.
    There, you see? No getting away from the evils of the world, even during the Olympics!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I am quietly glad there will not be a memorial minute during the opening ceremonies. There have been other tragedies at the Olympics, as noted. And I truly believe this particular Israeli government wanted it for propaganda reasons, still working away at the victim trope for the coming war with Iran.

And as everyone knows, I work in and for Israel, so it's certainly not lack of respect for the victims that propels my opinion.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I am quietly glad there will not be a memorial minute during the opening ceremonies. There have been other tragedies at the Olympics, as noted.
    My thoughts exactly.

A moment of silence for everyone killed in relation to the Olympics would be more appropriate.

vCash

I tend to have to ignore Fred. Calm, rational, logical rebuttals are lovely.

vCash
    OK, let me get this straight. Someone posts the info that German neo-nazis, citizens of the host country, were in on the murders and it was then covered up for 40 years, yet all you people can talk about for two pages is the same stupid 'minute of silence' argument you're already hashing over and over and over again in other threads?????? Stop the insanity!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    OK, let me get this straight. Someone posts the info that German neo-nazis, citizens of the host country, were in on the murders and it was then covered up for 40 years, yet all you people can talk about for two pages is the same stupid 'minute of silence' argument you're already hashing over and over and over again in other threads?????? Stop the insanity!
    Because there is a connection between the 2 things.
    The cooperation between the Palestinian terrorists and the neo Nazi group in Germany was a common secret knowledge.
    The only difference now, is that the German government openly admitted that there was a cooperation between those two (the Palestinian terrorists got this way the fake IDs, weapons and access to the Olympic Village).

The other thing is the fact that the head of the IOC in 1972 Avery Brundage, was a Nazi sympathizer and anti-Semite. The IOC during his time and before the Munich games began denied the Israeli government's request for security for its athletes.

His protege's Juan Samaranch's Francoist past was no secret either.

Guri Weinberg, the son of Moshe Weinberg, the wrestling coach murdered at the 1972 Olympics talked to the FOX news "Why the IOC will never memorialize the '72 Munich massacre".
    Yes, it is more important to remember the terrorists rathen than to honor the Israeli athlets who were murdered by them.
    Shame on IOC, and shame on you Alex Gilady.

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And as everyone knows, I work in and for Israel, so it's certainly not lack of respect for the victims that propels my opinion.
    Since the above might make it sound like you're working for one of the Israeli government offices, or in some other important organization that is representing Israel (like Sochnut):

As far as I understood from your posting record:
    You work for an Israeli organization with a political agenda that IMO is not exactly supported by majority of Israelis, but rather by minority of them.
    Therefore - no matter how important your job is - that doesn't exactly make you as the official voice of Israel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    yes, but I was expecting more of this
    Now, I have a message to all the members of the IOC. The torture inflicted by “Black September” on the 11 Israeli athletes and their families took 48 hours. Your torture of the families and the memories of those esteemed athletes has lasted 40 years. I am not satisfied with a moment of silence in every Opening Ceremony of the Summer Games. Now I want all of you to lose your jobs and be replaced by real Olympians who care about the athletes and believe in the Olympic

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...#ixzz227CljP5k
    rumor or "open secret" is one thing. Publicly published proof is another. At this point, a moment of silence is a bandaide on a hemorrhage IMO and I can't believe that's all most people want.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    The cooperation between the Palestinian terrorists and the neo Nazi group in Germany was a common secret knowledge.
    The only difference now, is that the German government openly admitted that there was a cooperation between those two (the Palestinian terrorists got this way the fake IDs, weapons and access to the Olympic Village).

The other thing is the fact that the head of the IOC in 1972 Avery Brundage, was a Nazi sympathizer and anti-Semite. The IOC during his time and before the Munich games began denied the Israeli government's request for security for its athletes.

Guri Weinberg, the son of Moshe Weinberg, the wrestling coach murdered at the 1972 Olympics talked to the FOX news "Why the IOC will never memorialize the '72 Munich massacre".
    Yes, it is more important to remember the terrorists rathen than to honor the Israeli athlets who were murdered by them.
    I didn't read Guri Weinberg's article on foxnews, but it was published here as well:

Sports Business Network

Alex Gilady is a pathetic excuse for a human being -- the article, especially the part with his exchange with Ilana Romano, is beyond reprehensible:

Gilady informed us that a moment of silence was not possible because if the IOC had a moment of silence for the Israeli athletes, they would also have to do the same for the Palestinians who died at the Olympics in 1972.

My mother said, "But no Palestinian athletes died."

Gilady responded, "Well, there were Palestinians who died at the 1972 Olympics."

I heard one of the widows say to Gilady, "Are you equating the murder of my husband to the terrorists that killed him?"

Silence.

Then Ilana Romano burst out with a cry that has haunted me to this day. She screamed at Gilady, "How DARE you! You KNOW what they did to my husband! They let him lay there for hours, dying slowly, and then finished him off by castrating him and shoving it in his mouth, ALEX!"

I looked at Gilady's face as he sat there, stone cold with no emotion. This man knew these athletes personally. This man led the Israeli media delegation at the 1972 Olympics and saw this atrocity first hand. This man saw my father's dead, naked body thrown out front of the Olympic Village for all the world to see.

Without a hint of empathy, Gilady excused himself from our meeting.
    One of my FB friends who works for a major sports news conglomerate posted it on his page, and so far the reaction has been one of outrage that this news is being "conveniently" buried.

I'll never forget back in the 90s when Atlanta got the games, my mother was bitching about how Juan Antonio Samaranch was an bigot and an Anti-Semite. At the time, I didn't know much about the dude, but the more I read about him and about his "mentor," Avery Brundage, it makes my blood run cold that either of these two could have ever risen the highest position in the IOC.
    Last edited by Cyn; 07-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I didn't read Guri Weinberg's article on foxnews, but it was published here as well:

Sports Business Network

Alex Gilady is a pathetic excuse for a human being -- the article, especially the part with his exchange with Ilana Romano, is beyond reprehensible:

One of my FB friends who works for a major sports news conglomerate posted it on his page, and so far the reaction has been one of outrage that this news is being "conveniently" buried.

I'll never forget back in the 90s when Atlanta got the games, my mother was bitching about how Juan Antonio Samaranch was an bigot and an Anti-Semite. At the time, I didn't know much about the dude, but the more I read about him and about his "mentor," Avery Brundage, it makes my blood run cold that either of these two could have ever risen the highest position in the IOC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12