Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

USA Diving Trials - June 17th-24th

Diving trials start today. Here are the main links I could find.

USA Diving - Main page and schedule
    NBC Olympics - Diving Page
    USA Diving - Twitter

Viewing Schedule - includes TV and Streaming schedule and several Twitter links

There will be 14 hours of coverage on NBC and NBC Sports Network (old Versus Network). USA Diving will not be providing live results due to contractual agreements with NBC.

NBC Sports Network - Channel Finder Comcast varies (here it's channel 34). Direct TV is 603. DISH Network is 159 and 9466. Repeat broadcasts will be on Universal Sports starting on June 20th.

If anyone has other useful links, please post them in the next 24 hours and I will put them here.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 06-18-2012 at 03:44 AM.

vCash
    Results for Sunday - https://secure.meetcontrol.com/divem...anization=USAD

Looks like, baring a meltdown, the top two synchro teams in both events are pretty much a lock. What happened to Thomas Finchum? I thought he was doing well in synchro.

vCash
    Interesting article about Finchum.

vCash
    ESPN article about the Women's 3M Sping and Men's Platform prelims & semis.

Boudia, McCrory, & Finchum were pretty tightly packed in the prelims, but it sort of looks like the first two pulled away with a big lead in the semis.

I tried to stay up to watch, but alas, didn't happen.

vCash
    I got home from work at 1:30am last night and turned on the re-broadcast while I was laying in bed.. was able to watch a couple of rounds, but being super beat from work, I don't remember much.

What happened to Cynthia Potter? She was a pretty good commentator and was excellent with pointing out why dives would score well and what the judges could deduct for. Laura Wilkinson wasn't too bad, though.

I found it funny that they brought in international judges for the event, to help reduce any national 'inflation' and get more accurate scores they'd receive in London, yet the 10.0's were handed out left and right for dives with flaws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    What happened to Cynthia Potter? She was a pretty good commentator and was excellent with pointing out why dives would score well and what the judges could deduct for. Laura Wilkinson wasn't too bad, though.

I found it funny that they brought in international judges for the event, to help reduce any national 'inflation' and get more accurate scores they'd receive in London, yet the 10.0's were handed out left and right for dives with flaws.
    Cynthia Potter will be doing the commentary for the finals this weekend and will definitely be doing the commentary for NBC at the Olympics. I think she's just not doing the semifinals coverage on NBC Sports Network.

I agree with you about the inflated scores--not only were too many 10.0s handed out, but I was appalled by the 5s and 6s handed out to dives that were cleary "deficient" and should have been scoring in the 3s and 4s. Unfortunately, I think these scores ARE relatively accurate, as the score inflation is rampant internationally as well.

vCash
    Unofficial results show Ipsen (511.90) taking a big lead in the Men's 3M Spring Prelims ahead of Dumais (465.70) and Colwill (458.90).

vCash
    Here's a good schedule and article about the upcoming major Olympic Trials over the next several days - http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-weeks/138490/

Cynthia Potter will be the analyst on diving. I don't see any big changes in the other sports.

vCash
    Not really a huge surprise, but nonetheless for Boudia & McCrory!

The Women's 3M Spring Synchro was sooooooo close.

It was nice to have the cozy, comfortable, dulcet tones of Ms. Potter on the scene last night.

ETA: NBCOlympics.com video of Boudia & McCrory's winning dives.
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-22-2012 at 04:19 PM.

vCash
    Nice video. I like Cynthia Potter. I always like an analyst who is realistic about technique and points. Does Boudia jump higher than McCrory? Is that the reason McCrory always goes in the water first? Can they fix that?

vCash
    Not a teknik smarty here by any means, but it appears to me that while the jumps are fairly equal, Boudia's hips sort of hang in the air for a bit before he begins his descent......

.....almost like how a really good delayed axel jump from the good ol' days would just sort of *hover* and *present* for a beautiful split-second.
    Last edited by Fergus; 06-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Not a teknik smarty here by any means, but it appears to me that while the jumps are fairly equal, Boudia's hips sort of hang in the air for a bit before he begins his descent......

.....almost like how a really good delayed axel jump from the good ol' days would just sort of *hover* and *present* for a beautiful split-second.
    I see that too. Is it more strength? Whatever it is, I hope they work on that part. I think it could make a significant difference in points if they both enter the water at the same time

vCash
    Ashton Eaton is on track to at least break the US national record, he could more than likely take down the world record. After 6 events of decathlon he is well and truly in the lead and should make the team barring a disaster. World champion Trey Hardee is in second, some 300points behind Eaton. Reigning Olympic champion Brian Clay will have to dig deep to qualify since he is lying in 6th position.

ETA: brian clay was initial given a result, now he is DQ. So He won't be defending his Olympic title after all.
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 06-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Ashton Eaton is on track to at least break the US national record, he could more than likely take down the world record. After 6 events of decathlon he is well and truly in the lead and should make the team barring a disaster. World champion Trey Hardee is in second, some 300points behind Eaton. Reigning Olympic champion Brian Clay will have to dig deep to qualify since he is lying in 6th position.

ETA: brian clay was initial given a result, now he is DQ. So He won't be defending his Olympic title after all.
    I think you meant to put this in the track thread

NBC coverage today of diving trials starts at 4pm EST.

vCash
    Boudia & McCrory go 1-2 for Men's 10M Platform.

(((Finchum)))

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Boudia & McCrory go 1-2 for Men's 10M Platform.

(((Finchum)))
    I agree. I guess Finchum will get on with his music now. I just wonder why he wasn't in synchro.

vCash
    Finchum announced he is retiring from diving after these trials. Pity, he's so young (22) and so good. But I think he has mentally moved on to other things to pursue, so best of luck to him.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    Just watching this later on and realizing that one of the young divers is named Steele Johnson...

vCash
    Anyone watching the diving right now? Men's springboard is down to the final round, with just 2 points separating Colwill, Dumais, and Ipsen

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Watching here and this is insane!! So close for the final dive!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast