Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Exciting that China gets Worlds for the first time! I do hope that the attendance is better than Cup of China, though.
    It's cool seeing the progression after going through my old tapes - first CoC, then 4CC, then GPF. I was actually wondering when they'd get Worlds!

I do hope the attendance will be good especially if there don't happen to be major Chinese contenders by then (fingers crossed for Yan Han, Zijun Li and improvement from Sui/Han).

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Stockholm, Seoul and Shanghai. Guess they need to choose another city beginning with S for 2015 Junior Worlds! lol
    I vote for Sydney, Sbrisbane, or Smelbourne (okay, the last one didn't sound too great putting an "s" in front of it).

But Australia is never going to get a major international after the 2000 Worlds snub.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    JW in...San Francisco? There isn't really a venue that I can think of. That's just wishful thinking.
    Actually, Oakland, CA held Worlds in 1992. So, you never know.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    What's Shanghai like in March weather-wise?
    Was there when 2011 Worlds were originally to have happened in late March. Pretty nice out, not so cold as to warrant a coat if you have a long-sleeve shirt (even at night time), but not so hot as to warrant light clothing. About 70-75F during in the day, 60F at night.

Should be a great event, not only for skating's visibility in China and for Chinese skating, but for adventurous travelers as well, as the city not only personifies the Chinese need for speed in getting ahead, but also boasts all the high-end comforts, luxuries, and amenities found in the highest circles in the West.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Was there when 2011 Worlds were originally to have happened in late March. Pretty nice out, not so cold as to warrant a coat if you have a long-sleeve shirt (even at night time), but not so hot as to warrant light clothing. About 70-75F during in the day, 60F at night.
    That sounds about perfect. Maybe I can make that happen.

vCash
    2015 Four Continents in Seoul? I thought Gangneung (Pyeongchang) would be given an event to test operational readiness of the actual Olympic venue? Does this mean another ISU championship will be held in Korea before 2018?

vCash
    ^ Interesting point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle K View Post
    2015 Four Continents in Seoul? I thought Gangneung (Pyeongchang) would be given an event to test operational readiness of the actual Olympic venue? Does this mean another ISU championship will be held in Korea before 2018?
    The figure skating venue in Gangneung has not been constructed yet; once it is, I'm guessing that Gangneung will host either the 2016-17 GPF or 2017 4CC. Korea hosted the 2008 4CC, 2008-09 GPF, and 2010 4CC, so they've hosted several major events in the same quadrennium previously.

vCash
    which venue in Seoul will they be using? I'm thinking of Jamsil Arena or the Jamsil Indoor Swimming Pool. Both facilities were used for Seoul 1988

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    which venue in Seoul will they be using? I'm thinking of Jamsil Arena or the Jamsil Indoor Swimming Pool. Both facilities were used for Seoul 1988

Both 2008 4CC and 07/08 GPF was held at Seongsa Ice arena located on the outskirts of Seoul. Before that Mokdong Ice rink was a major venue for ice events incl. Jr Worlds AFAIK. 2010 4CC was at Jeonju, not Seoul.

I personally don't think they will make temporary ice for the event especially in Jamsil area. Jamsil gymnasium has been used for ice shows for several times but it is usually booked for basketball/volleyball league and it's nearly impossible to get a practice rink near the place. Both Mokdong and Seongsa have practice rinks so I assume one of them will be the venue.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    No travel for Euros for once!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigiliae View Post
    Both 2008 4CC and 07/08 GPF was held at Seongsa Ice arena located on the outskirts of Seoul. Before that Mokdong Ice rink was a major venue for ice events incl. Jr Worlds AFAIK. 2010 4CC was at Jeonju, not Seoul.

I personally don't think they will make temporary ice for the event especially in Jamsil area. Jamsil gymnasium has been used for ice shows for several times but it is usually booked for basketball/volleyball league and it's nearly impossible to get a practice rink near the place. Both Mokdong and Seongsa have practice rinks so I assume one of them will be the venue.
    Seongsa, is that the one in Goyang City?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    Seongsa, is that the one in Goyang City?
    Yes it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle K View Post
    Does this mean another ISU championship will be held in Korea before 2018?
    According to their Olympics bid book online, I think it said that their test event would be 2017 Four Continents. I seriously hope they think about getting the 2016 Grand Prix Final or even 2017 Junior Worlds instead of Four Continents as their test event, since that's an opportunity for European skaters and officials to attend as well.

Good for Shanghai for getting 2015 Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I vote for Sydney, Sbrisbane, or Smelbourne (okay, the last one didn't sound too great putting an "s" in front of it).

But Australia is never going to get a major international after the 2000 Worlds snub.

You might be right. There was talk some years ago about a 4cs for Brisbane but that seems to have disappeared. We did have a JGP event in Brisbane last year which might have been a step in the right direction. One of our problems is virtually no media interest. A community TV station did show some of the event but didn't do a really good job. They showed some parts many times and others not at all it was very disjointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    According to their Olympics bid book online, I think it said that their test event would be 2017 Four Continents. I seriously hope they think about getting the 2016 Grand Prix Final or even 2017 Junior Worlds instead of Four Continents as their test event, since that's an opportunity for European skaters and officials to attend as well.

Isn't the purpose of the test event to allow the organizers and federation officials to test out the arrangements? I can't see how having Junior Worlds there would be particularly helpful for the Olympic skaters, other than a couple that might possibly make it to the Olympics a year later. Is there something special about this arena (vs. all of the other random arenas that host ISU championships) that suggests that it is desirable for Europeans to check it out?

(I understand why sports like luge & bobsled & skiing want to check out the actual facility; I'm just not following the logic on skating.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    (I understand why sports like luge & bobsled & skiing want to check out the actual facility; I'm just not following the logic on skating.)
    Just imagine what would have happened if there had been a Winter Olympic Games this year in Bern and there had been a test event at the PostFinance Arena.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    My guess is that 2016 Worlds will go to Europe, and the USFSA will hold out for 2017 Worlds.
    I was told the USFS is seeking the 2016 championships.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post

4CC for me is a better test event than GPF since that's a bigger event. i was shocked Sochi didn't go to 2013 Europeans. Torino went for 2005 Euros as their test event.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Nagano used the 1997 NHK Trophy as a test event so there's nothing to say that a championship has to be the test event.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast