Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    How does an experienced skater on the level of Mao (or is it her choreographer's and coach's fault) lose points by repeating a spin? That being said, it was great to see her skating with such confidence.
    TAT had to change and finish the choreo of Swan Lake in August because of the change of the rules. TAT was angry enough about the timing of big rule changes (like ChSq and spins) to write a letter to Cinquanta. Maybe TAT think big changes of rules should have done two seasons before the Olympics.
    http://winter.sport-express.ru/figur...reviews/24762/
    Mao used to be given new programs in spring. So she had less time this year to practice her Swan Lake. Of course she was nervous at the first international competition but there was another reason. I can't wait to see her perfect Swan Lake like good wine being matured in the later season.

vCash
    Love the fluidity of Mao's Swan Lake. Was one of the spin problems that she didn't get her hip low enough in the sit position to count?

Not a fan of Ashley's costume color, but delighted to see her skating with power and control, especially right after Mao has delivered a great program.

vCash
    OK so Wagner has beaten Asada in their last 3 head-to-head competitions, and this time with Asada skating quite well. Who would think they were neck and neck in PCS?

Wagner's program was nice - I especially like the timing of the layback spin. I think she might have been a little behind near the end, causing the rushing through of the Choreographic Sequence. This can be good come Nationals and Worlds (hopefully). Still, I was hoping to see yet a little more details below the ankle. Her arms and upper body were always busy, but she really could use more edges and one footed turns.

The new COP rules is killing her spins though. I HATE that she has to hop within her deathdrop, which used to be so fast and tight but is now slowing to a halt. Same for the change of foot in her combo spin - it was so small it wans't even given credit. Perhaps it's time to rethink the spins.

Sad to see too little progress on fixing the flutz and her 2axel is still problematic. Perhaps a 3loop3toe or a 3toe-2axel sequence would be easier for her than the 2axel3toe. The 3loop3toe could also be used in the short program so she wouldn't have to train 2 money tricks.

Asada's program was great. Her lightness is back. If anything, I would like her to work on her arms. They are too weak. Not soft, weak. There was too little tension and the overall impact of her positions was lessened. I hope the spin issue was a brain fart like what Yuna Kim did at 2009 Worlds, not a mis-calculation by TAT. Hate to see TAT losing her touch.

Suzuki's program was ... okay. I will need some more time to get into it. Her programs last season were too impressive for comparison to be honest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Was one of the spin problems that she didn't get her hip low enough in the sit position to count?
    No, she began the same CCoSp as she already did, then she noticed her mistake and she arranged the rest of the seq. Mao said "I made a mistake with my spins." and talked about what she did with Dai at the K&C.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Awww! Gedevanishvilli's LP is so charming! Loved it.

And as a sign of the apocalypse, I didn't hate Plushenko's program! It might be the lack of the violin-on-crack Edvin Marton music, but it's the first time I've enjoyed something from him since his Nijinsky program

vCash
    about Chan's mistakes, but it was a great program. So good that I am already hoping he would re-use it next season.

Takahashi's program was better in the second half. The first half was kind of bland.

Sad to see Kozuka coming up with a new program because I loved his program last season, but this new one isn't half bad. He will again need to work hard on his expressions. Glad to see him relatively solid so early in the season. If Oda returns strongly this season, I have a sense he is the one who will need to worry about it.

Buttle was surreal. Is he already ineligible for Sochi?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    wow, thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    No, she began the same CCoSp as she already did, then she noticed her mistake and she arranged the rest of the seq. Mao said "I made a mistake with my spins." and talked about what she did with Dai at the K&C.
    I thought perhaps the second spin was perhaps meant to be a layback, and she went into the camel by mistake.. just by the way it ended in a beilman. My theory anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'd like to think that he's flourished without the pressure of constant training, competition and expectations. If he's happy, what does it matter? I was shocked he did the 3ax here, considering it's never been a great jump for him - and still has all his transitions and WHEEE!
    I think so too. Without pressure of competition, Jeff can truly do what he likes and showcase his strengths. In competition, we must fulfill the criteria to win. He was a delight to watch during his competition years and he, very much like Browning, has grown from strength to strength post competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Awww! Gedevanishvilli's LP is so charming! Loved it.

And as a sign of the apocalypse, I didn't hate Plushenko's program! It might be the lack of the violin-on-crack Edvin Marton music, but it's the first time I've enjoyed something from him since his Nijinsky program

vCash
    I haven't watched all programs but so far I thought ...

Mao's Swan Lake was gorgeous and suits her very well. Her jumps still look a bit iffy in places and she could use some more power but I think she is on the right track.

I am not a fan of Ashley's program. For me there is too much weird staring/glaring, too much arm movement and too much posing/stop&go. The two stops during her footwork especially bother me. She will probably add changes to the program just like last year and I am sure it will improve, but I find that her movements in general lack the polish that Mao and other top skaters have.

I enjoyed the first half of Akiko's program but it somehow seemd a bit lost towards the end. She looked a little like she had an off day but I am sure she will be in great form for the Grand Prix. Her basic skating is

Dai seems to be in great form this early in the season, happy to see him attempt two quads in the LP! The men seem to be a lot more open now than a year ago and he seems determined to give Patrick some serious competition. I like the program but I think he has had better LPs in the past. And pleeeease get rid of that costume :-)

Patrick - that was painful to watch and it must have been hard for him to skate this to the end. I think it's a fantastic program, very complex and difficult. It has a lot of potential when skated better. He looked very off. I guess we will have to wait and see how he does at his next competition to know whether this was just an off day or if it's more than that.

Overall I was impressed by the quality some of the skaters have shown this early in the season. Can't wait for the GP to start!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post

Jeff Buttle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGQ-Fq7s6c (a little watered down, but clean)
    I love this Buttle program.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Lurved, lurved, lurved Mao's program.

Ashley's program has a lot of potential, but to my eyes still needs quite a bit of polish. However, I felt this way about her "Black Swan" program last year at first glance, so I'm sure it will develop nicely.

I love Suzuki, but not this program.

Not really sure what I think of Takahashi's program. I don't think it really shows off his inherent musicality.

Kozuka's "Rondo" is vastly superior to Plushy's. Although props to Plushy for doing 2 quads and a superb 3A. The last minute of Plushenko's program was a hot mess though. All the good things in the first part revert back to the awful loose limbed flailing in the choreographed footwork sequence.

for Buttle. Amazing skating. Wishful thinking he'd want to come back next season. *sigh*

Chan's program could be brilliant, but it was far, far, far from that at this comp.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Do you know, who did Takahashi LP choreo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Do you know, who did Takahashi LP choreo?
    Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed it about one month ago in Canada.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    TAT had to change and finish the choreo of Swan Lake in August because of the change of the rules. TAT was angry enough about the timing of big rule changes (like ChSq and spins) to write a letter to Cinquanta. Maybe TAT think big changes of rules should have done two seasons before the Olympics.
    http://winter.sport-express.ru/figur...reviews/24762/
    Mao used to be given new programs in spring. So she had less time this year to practice her Swan Lake. Of course she was nervous at the first international competition but there was another reason. I can't wait to see her perfect Swan Lake like good wine being matured in the later season.
    It is so nice to see Mao skate so well! It almost brought tears to my eyes, after watching her struggle the last two years, tragedy in her personal life, etc. After she becomes comfortable with this new program, it's going to be a gem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homura View Post
    Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed it about one month ago in Canada.
    Thank you

vCash
    Just saw Akiko's program and peacock dress. What a dress. WOW.

Mao's dress rather blah. Also, she was a bit cautious and slow but the program has potential. As always, lovely flow from Mao. She just needs some ooomph and 'guts.'
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Jeffrey Buttle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRcile3Pr8&feature=plcp
    I just absolutely love this guys pro work. Arguably skating better now than before he retired!
    Oh my. Only now got to it. Talk about uplifting. That's uplifting in the best sense. As was previously said in the thread- exquisite.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I wasn't inclined to watch Jeffrey's program. So far this season, I have exited most vids before the program was over. BUT I AM GLAD I decided to watch Jeffrey's. What skating, what a program!!!!!

Re Chan, maybe he is attempting programs that are too difficult and complex for him now.
    Excuse the jump failures all "you" want, but very few are going to look at a program with multiple falls and think it great skating, no matter what the skater's other skating skills might be.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast