Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Not loving Akiko's program.

The music is a departure and does nothing for her at all ... a bit of a risky move in a pre-Olympic year. She should've experimented last year if she wanted to do something different.

Akiko's needs big and bold music to fit her skating.

vCash
    I think that this is the best program Mao has ever had. She still needs more power but I love the music cut and the choreography. It's really refreshing to see this from her!

vCash
    Tarasova hit the nail on the head with Mao this time.

Fantastic work

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Don't agree with you guys, personally I LOVE Akiki's music and program! I think she has a winner with this LP if she skate it clean. It really fits her fluid ethereal style

And Mao!!! MAO!!!! Her best LP EVER!!!! Even the poor music cuts don't bother me!! FINALLY!!!!

Kokuza is KING! And this Classical elegant LP is PERFECTION! What elegance! His best LP since Romeo and Juliette

Love Daisuke, but I've been spoiled by his programs the past 3 seasons, so this is a bit of a let down, but still amaaazing I know Morozov didn't choreograph it, but it feels like a typical generic Morozov program. the music is gorgeous and his skating is gorgeous, and together they hold my attention, but hoping for something more interesting than this for the Olympic season

vCash
    Re-posting the link to the Men's and Ladies' FS official results and protocols page: http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNatio...3/jo/index.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    Thanks babayaga. Akiko's dress is gorgeous. She's skating well and I always love her beautiful charming smile.
    Soo happy to see Kozuka starting strong and skating well this season. His boot issues are now behind him. And he's got his quads. The Japanese men are all looking great and strong (Kozuka, Daisuke, Hanyu, Obo etc.) this season. Won't be surprised if they dominate the GP and World podiums.

vCash
    Thanks for that protocol- missed it before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Don't agree with you guys, personally I LOVE Akiki's music and program! I think she has a winner with this LP if she skate it clean. It really fits her fluid ethereal style

Love Daisuke, but I've been spoiled by his programs the past 3 seasons, so this is a bit of a let down, but still amaaazing I know Morozov didn't choreograph it, but it feels like a typical generic Morozov program. the music is gorgeous and his skating is gorgeous, and together they hold my attention, but hoping for something more interesting than this for the Olympic season
    I agree with you MR-FAN, re Akiko. This is a wonderful program for her. She just obviously ran into a little difficulty toward the end, perhaps with stamina. The music and choreo are quite lovely. For those who don't like this music for Akiko, I understand that you maybe associate her style of skating with a different kind of music and this is somewhat of a departure for her. But the fact Akiko skates so well to this music without losing any of her joie de vivre, I think shows her range. ITA with MR-FAN that this program skated cleanly is a "winner" for Akiko. Is the music by a Japanese composer?

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Thanks babayaga. Akiko's dress is gorgeous. She's skating well and I always love her beautiful charming smile.
    Soo happy to see Kozuka starting strong and skating well this season. His boot issues are now behind him. And he's got his quads. The Japanese men are all looking great and strong (Kozuka, Daisuke, Hanyu, Obo etc.) this season. Won't be surprised if they dominate the GP and World podiums.
    You mean Oda, not Obo, of course. Oda is not anywhere near being a musical instrument, ahem. As I've mentioned, Oda is a great jumper and a wonderful skater (and of course he's shown that he's been working on his weaknesses) but he simply doesn't have musicality, artistry or great presentation skills. Right, I know none of that matters to the judges as long as he lands his jumps and has learned how to count.

vCash
    Well, I'm entitled to my opinion about Akiko ... And this is coming from a fan. The levels (volume) seemed low on her music so maybe I'll change my mind after seeing (and hearing) it again.

At least I made the right call on Mao's deductions -- the edge call, the repeated combination spin, and the downgraded loops.

vCash
    ^^ Absolutely. All I said was "I understand" you may associate Akiko's skating and personality with a different kind of music, and that I think she skated very well to music that may be a bit of a departure, which shows her range, IMO. Doesn't negate your opinion.

Mao's program is a keeper. Most of all, it's so great to see Mao happy and skating beautifully after the battle she went through re-learning jump technique and the recent grief of losing her mother. Every time Mao steps out on competitive ice, I think it's a victory for her.

ETA:
    Ahhh, I just looked at Kozuka's program. Very nice job to music I will always associate with Johnny Weir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtHYSAmLMg
    Last edited by aftershocks; 10-07-2012 at 12:47 AM.

vCash
    I liked the top 3 ladies a lot, but this season it seems that Mao is a Swan and Akiko is a Peacock, I wonder if Miki will jump on the bandwagon

vCash
    I may be in the minority, but I love Akiko's program.

Mao's Swan Lake is gorgeous, but she still looks to me like she's lacking a lot of power. She still looks as if those URs are going to kill her this year. Hope I'm wrong.

vCash
    ^^ You're not in the minority re Akiko's program.

Mao has never looked like she has a lot of power, but believe me, no matter how delicate she looks and seems to skate, she has the POWER too (not to mention, the glory ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    I liked the top 3 ladies a lot, but this season it seems that Mao is a Swan and Akiko is a Peacock, I wonder if Miki will jump on the bandwagon
    I saw somewhere that Miki's LP might be Black Swan? So if it is, then she is a bird as well!

Also, Akiko's music is from the Cirque du Soleil "O" soundtrack.

vCash
    What happened to Patrick? I'm dying to see his new program.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I love Akiko's program.

Mao's Swan Lake is gorgeous, but she still looks to me like she's lacking a lot of power. She still looks as if those URs are going to kill her this year. Hope I'm wrong.
    Me too, I really like Akiko's program! Love the music, and the program has potential!

I'm so glad that Mao looks healthy and happy. I had expected something new from her, but her swan lake is typical Mao's balletic program. It suits her very well, but I like liebestraum much more.

Oh Dai, I really love him and his skating, but not his new typical generic Morozov program. He deserves much better program!

vCash
    ^^ Don't know what people were/ are expecting from Dai re his on again association with Morozov. IMHO, Dai has a personality, a work ethic and a focus that rises above negativity. Dai likely looks for the good in everyone, and he seeks to learn and to grow from whatever his mentors, coaches and competitors have to offer.

Fortunately, I didn't look at Dai's new program thinking, "Oh no, choreographed by Morozov." Dai skated that program "lights out," and still it's only the beginning of the season. The best is yet to come ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Don't know what people were/ are expecting from Dai re his on again association with Morozov. IMHO, Dai has a personality, a work ethic and a focus that rises above negativity. Dai likely looks for the good in everyone, and he seeks to learn and to grow from whatever his mentors, coaches and competitors have to offer.

Fortunately, I didn't look at Dai's new program thinking, "Oh no, choreographed by Morozov." Dai skated that program "lights out," and still it's only the beginning of the season. The best is yet to come ...
    This!

vCash
    Just watched the videos.

Dai was absolutely amazing for this early in the season. That FS is already gorgeous and is just going to get better with more mileage, and I'm relieved, because his SP this season isn't so great so I'm glad he has a program like this to make up for that.

Akiko's FS is VOIDY and I think it has the potential to be really effective and impressive once she cleans up the jumps. I'm glad she's going out of her shell and trying something different, I wasn't sure about Kostner's SP at the start of last season either but by the time Worlds rolled around I loved it.

Mao and Taka were also great, glad to see them skating well and going "back to their roots" so to speak, beautiful programs & beautiful skating! Also, Mao's lutz looked better and Taka's quad seems a lot more powerful and strong compared to last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

Dai did a great job, but this post made me search for the definition of "lights out." I know that it's used to describe a superb performance but didn't quickly find any official definition for that use of the term. Is it not commonly used in that way in other contexts? I wonder where it originated. Anyone know?

vCash
    Here are the interviews of the Team Japan members.

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter...-spnavi_1.html

Akiko seems to have skated to the opposite direction by mistake after the 2nd spin, so she had to do the rest of the elements at the other side. That would have caused har a lot of problems in the 2nd half of the program.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast