Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Which Skaters by Discipline did you grow up with when you first became a Sk8ing Fan?

Ok my friends!!! I don't think we've talked about this before. But,what I want to know from you all today is....not your fav. Skaters..but rather ..Which Skaters..by Discipline did you grow up with,when you first became a Skating Fan? Please use the following Format... Here's my List...

Ladies Freestyle = Tara Lipinski,Sasha Cohen,Surya Bonaly,Michelle Kwan,Amber Corin,

Pairs Skaters = Katie Orscher and Garett Lucash,Jamie Sale and David Perfer.

Ice Dance = Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe,Rene Roca and Gosha Sur,Winkler and Loush.

I'm sure there's more I've forgot. But for now you all....GO!!!
    Last edited by FSWer; 06-16-2012 at 02:42 AM.

vCash
    For years, I only watched ladies. Which is nutty, as now it's mostly just men, but hey.

Ladies Freestyle = Oksana, Katarina, Tara, Fancy Kerrigan, Michelle, Sasha.

I was so desperate to hear how the 94' Olympics were playing out, that I listened to the whole thing on AM radio live. Yes, I listened to skating. I'm sure I heard some lovely blade scratching noises :

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Ok my friends!!! I don't think we've talked about this before. But,what I want to know from you all today is....not your fav. Skaters..but rather ..Which Skaters..by Discipline did you grow up with,when you first became a Skating Fan? Please use the following Format... Here's my List...

Ladies Freestyle = Tara Lipinski,Sasha Cohen,Surya Bonaly,Michelle Kwan,Amber Corin,

Pairs Skaters = Katie Orscher and Garett Lucash,Jamie Sale and David Perfer.

Ice Dance = Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe,Rene Roca and Gosha Sur,Winkler and Loush.

I'm sure there's more I've forgot. But for now you all....GO!!!
    his name is David PELLETIER

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    his name is David PELLETIER
    DARN!!! My edit didn't save change David's last name after I rewrote the correct spelling. BTW.,Oksana was one for me too.

vCash
    Grew up hearing alllll about Michelle Kwan.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Dorothy Hammill. Charlie Tickner. Scott Hamilton was an up and comer.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Ladies: Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn
    Men: John Misha Petkevich, Ondrej Nepala
    Pairs: Protopopovs, Kaufmans

I don't remember what the teams were in dance until Blumberg/Seibert.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

YEAH!
    vCash
    I started watching ladies in 1994 so it would be Oksana and Surya. I got interested in dance in 1998 mostly because of A&P (eta: and G&P, but I didn't grow up with them because they promptly split up ).
    Last edited by Cherub721; 06-16-2012 at 05:21 AM.

vCash
    1994 Olympics for me too. I love those Olympics. Norway knew how to hold an olympics. I remember being memerized by the cross country and the speed skating. Fell absolutely in love with Norway.

In terms of skating

Ice Dance - Torvill & Dean and the two Russian teams. The way it was expressed here was very much supportive of Torvill & Dean with an emphasis that they Torvill & Dean were unfairly judged. Presumably this would be as a result of getting British coverage.

Ladies - Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan and Oksana Baiul. I remember being memerized by Surya Bonaly as well. I can't say I remember Lu Chen.

Mens and Pairs I don't have memories of.

1998 I remember Lipinski and Kwan and once again Bonaly was memorable for the commentators we had kept saying Bonaly had planned a Quad Salchow but ended up doing the back flip. Once again I have no memory of Lu Chen.

Ice Dance was very memorable. Memories and the Canadians pulling off the Irish Dancing. The second Russian team doing Carmen. I remember the commentators criticism that they were doing a Carmen program. I remember the French too.

Once again though I do not have memories of the mens or pairs. I know I watched them but I honestly can't say I remember anything about them. And to be honest I don't remember either event in 2002 either. So for pairs and mens it really would have to be 2005 worlds as that was on satellite. Here winter sports are barely mentioned outside of the Olympics. Even with satellite etc today winer sports coverage here is very rare. Thank god for the internet.

vCash
    I grew up idolizing Peggy Fleming!

Loved the protopopovs.

Dotty Hamil kinda got on my nerves but I've gotten to like her since. Curry is a god!

I was so heartbroken for tai & randy!

I've come to rediscover Lynn, and Cranston and Shelly and JMP, jojo, the militanos, but back then it was like if you didn't win gold, you were forgotten the next day.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One of the nicest things my parents ever did for me was bringing the second TV from home to me in college, so I could watch Curry skate at the Olympics. There was no cable back then, and I had to hold the end of the antenna and move it around to get reception, but it was worth it. But college was too late to say I'd grown up with his skating, since I started watching when I was five.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Michelle Kwan. I still remember, around in 1997, I was a fourth grader, my hometown paper was loudly talking about her chance of winning OGM and how she's injured in the FRONT PAGE. AND my hometown was really, really small. That was the first time I came to know her and about figure skating, then I watched the olympics in 1998, so fell in love with her. Unfortunately, my hometown was not well packaged with infrastructure or internet for that matter, I lost touch of everything related to her and figure skating since.

Then in 2009, I watched the world championships in LA, saw Michelle interviewed by hundreds of reporters, feeling quite reminiscing of course, and saw Yuna perform. That was my cue to get really into the world of figure skating.

vCash
    Babes: Liz Manley, Kat Witt, Nancy K., Oksana B., Sasha C., Joannie Rocket; Dudes: Kurt, Scott, Phillipe Candeloro;
    Pears: Underheight & Martini;
    Eyes Dance: Krylova & Ovsiannikov, D & L

vCash
    Michelle Kwan, Lu Che, Irina Slutskaya, Tara Lipinski

Ilia Kulik (i was the biggest fan girl, I had pictures up in my room), Phillip Candeloro

Gishuk & Platov

vCash
    Klimova-Ponomarenko 1984 OG.

vCash
    I remember watching Christopher Bowman, Paul Wylie and David Santee, Tiffany Chin was a favorite, the Carruthers and Tai and Randy. Didn't pay attention to dance until Bolero blew everyone away at the Olympics.

Lost all interest in skating until I was channel surfing and caught Johnny skating, fell in love with skating all over again.

vCash
    Maria Butyrskaya, Yagudin, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Anissina & Peizerat...the good "ole" days

vCash
    Always watched fs during the Olympics since Peggy Fleming, felt heartbroken for Tai & Randy, had the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut, but fell completely in love with the sport by the time of the 1988 Calgary Olympics. Thank you, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Midori Ito, and G&G! There's been no going back since. We try to watch just about everything. Once we learned that Paul Wylie and Brian Orser were part of the SOI tour, we started going to that (1993 to the present).

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Liked skating my whole life, I'm 63. Grew up going to the Ice Capades in Atlantic City every summer. Watched the limited coverage of skating on TV. It was really the 80 Olympics, though, that made me a total fan..Robin Cousins, Scott Hamilton, Charlie Tickner, Torville and Dean, Tai and Randy, Carruthers..I was hooked! Once skating breaks your heart, Tai and Randy, then one knows one is a fan..

vCash
    Good question, it's very long ago.
    Pairs: Rodnina/Saizev, Riegel/Nieschwitz, Baess/Thierbach
    Ladies: Denise Biellmann, Dagmar Lurz, Linda Fretianne (sp?)
    Men: Norbert Schramm, Jan Hoffmann, Robin Cousins, Toller Cranston
    Ice Dance: Linichuk/Karponosov, Torvill/Dean
    Well, these are the ones I came to watch when I became interested in FS as a kid. My very favourites out of these were and still are Cranston, Cousins and Rodnina/Saizev.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast