Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1004
  1. #161

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Evan is apparently pretty seriously injured currently so who knows if he will even be able to skate at Nationals let alone place top 2.
    Where did you get your information that Evan was "pretty seriously injured." Last I heard, Evan had a groin injury that was not considered to be serious. In fact, if Evan's injury was deemed to be as serious as you proclaim (so serious that he may not be able to compete at Nationals), then USFSA would have already assigned another skater to Skate America.

    Evan has a groin injury. Some groin injuries can be severe, and even a minor groin injury can become chronic if not treated properly. However, it was reported that Evan's was not severe. As with all groin injuries, they require rest to heal properly. From all accounts, Evan has been resting the injury (cancelled Sun Valley performance and did not perform programs at Champs Camp) However, there has been no indication that Evan will have to W/D from Skate America or miss Nationals because of the groin injury.

  2. #162
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Secret Garden
    Posts
    57
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Where did you get your information that Evan was "pretty seriously injured."
    Wishful thinking? Less veterans, less competition.

  3. #163

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,275
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    maybe they were intimidated by that courchevel blog where jason came across like a rhodes scholar. tough act to follow.
    Gotta watch out for those sneaky honor-roll skaters. And really, how can they beat the tales of late-night UNO?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Evan is apparently pretty seriously injured currently so who knows if he will even be able to skate at Nationals let alone place top 2.
    Ey? Last I heard it was a minor groin injury that pulled him out of a couple of shows/Champs Camp. He's still expected to skate at SkAm. I'm expecting him to be at Nationals.

  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Maybe the injury is minor. I just read an article recently where they made it sound like a pretty big deal...maybe that was intentional though to protect Lysacek's reputation should he show up to SKAM and/or Nationals a shadow of his former self.

  5. #165

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Maybe the injury is minor. I just read an article recently where they made it sound like a pretty big deal...maybe that was intentional though to protect Lysacek's reputation should he show up to SKAM and/or Nationals a shadow of his former self.

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's time to turn the page. Johnny and Evan have had their time in the sun and have gone to two Olympics. It's time for the younger kids to get their chance and not live in the past.

  7. #167

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's time to turn the page. Johnny and Evan have had their time in the sun and have gone to two Olympics. It's time for the younger kids to get their chance and not live in the past.
    I am glad that USA Swimming did not take that attitude, or else Michael Phelps would have only competed in 2 or 3 Olympics instead of 4.

    Each federations goal is to send its BEST athletes to compete at the Olympics. If Johnny and/or Evan are among the two best skaters (or three, if USA earns the third spot at 2013 Worlds) at 2014 U.S. Nationals, then they deserve to compete at the 2014 Olympics. If Johnny and/or Evan are still among the top skaters in the USA in 2014, it will not be "living in the past" for them to compete in Sochi. Just like Johnny and Evan, the younger skaters will get "their chance" to earn a spot on the 2014 Olympic Team at the 2014 U.S. Nationals.

    It will be interesting to see what Johnny and Evan can do this season. I am kind of fond of "living in the past"....when the US men were actually competitive at the World Championship. Johnny and Evan have not competed in two seasons, yet they still have the highest personal best ISU scores among the USA skaters (#5- Lysacek 257.67; # 15 - Weir 238.87)

  8. #168

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,275
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's time to turn the page. Johnny and Evan have had their time in the sun and have gone to two Olympics. It's time for the younger kids to get their chance and not live in the past.
    Disagree with this attitude entirely. If Josh and Jason want their chance they have to EARN it. If Johnny and Evan come out on top of the pile then they go. If Plushenko comes out on top of the pile at RN then he goes. If the youngsters can't beat the oldsters that's THEIR problem. There's no way the oldsters should be forced out to make way for the youngsters.

    I absolutely loathe this attitude. It smacks of feeling entitled. It's not the old guys' problem if the young ones can't beat them, end of story. Maybe the young ones who bleat about this attitude should do less bleating and more training...

    Let the youngsters prove they deserve it over the oldsters.

  9. #169

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Maybe the injury is minor. I just read an article recently where they made it sound like a pretty big deal...
    Link please?

    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    In the meantime, someone tell Josh and Angela that they are rubbish bloggers. No updates since Thursday?
    I'll see what I can do!

    At least Angela tweeted a few photos from Lake Placid:
    Josh and I with our coaches in Lake Placid
    Sometimes we pretend to like each other haha
    Lake Placid was GORGEOUS!

    ETA: Well that was quick! Joshua Farris' and Angela Wang's Saturday Lake Placid blog entry is up now! http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  10. #170

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,275
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I'll see what I can do!

    At least Angela tweeted a few photos from Lake Placid:
    Josh and I with our coaches in Lake Placid
    Sometimes we pretend to like each other haha
    Lake Placid was GORGEOUS!
    Oh bwaha, not literally rubbish though. Just not a speedy updating pair

    Gorgeous pictures! I love that Josh is taller than both Damon and Christy, whoops.

    EDIT:

    Uh oh, do you suppose they read FSU?
    Last edited by misskarne; 09-04-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Josh and Angela updated!

  11. #171
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Johnny and Evan have not competed in two seasons, yet they still have the highest personal best ISU scores among the USA skaters (#5- Lysacek 257.67; # 15 - Weir 238.87)
    You really can't compare scores from 2 years ago with the scoring system currently in place. For example, among the many revisions to COP since 2010, the most significant one is that now there are only 7 required elements in the SP as opposed to the 8 elements that were in place in 2010. The men now only have 1 step sequence in the SP. In 2010 and prior years, they had 2 step sequences (an additional element to earn points). Jeremy Abbott's personal best ISU total score is 238.82 based on the 2012 season GPFinal, just 0.05 shy of Weir's total score from 2010. Had Abbott been given the opportunity to perform an extra SP step sequence in last season's GPF, there's no question he would have beaten Weir's score, barring completely wiping out on the step sequence, of course.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 09-04-2012 at 08:51 PM.

  12. #172
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Disagree with this attitude entirely. If Josh and Jason want their chance they have to EARN it. If Johnny and Evan come out on top of the pile then they go. If Plushenko comes out on top of the pile at RN then he goes. If the youngsters can't beat the oldsters that's THEIR problem. There's no way the oldsters should be forced out to make way for the youngsters.

    I absolutely loathe this attitude. It smacks of feeling entitled. It's not the old guys' problem if the young ones can't beat them, end of story. Maybe the young ones who bleat about this attitude should do less bleating and more training...

    Let the youngsters prove they deserve it over the oldsters.
    I agree with this however, I don't like a situation where the federation finagles scores to reflection reputation, allowing an oldster to narrowly come out on top of a youngster by inflating the scores of the oldster and holding back the scores of the youngster. I get that Evan and Johnny deserve good PCS, but if they come out at Nationals, fail to land a quad and/or make other mistakes, then I don't think their PCS should allow them to finish ahead of a youngster like Josh if he shows up to Nationals and skates lights out nailing 3a and 4t in the SP and FS. I get there's more to skating than jumps, but there are a lot of men in the US who are sufficient enough in the other areas of skating (Miner, Rippon, Farris, Brown, Messing, Mahbanoozadeh, Dornbush) that Lysacek, Weir, or Abbott should be able to beat them with weak technical content and/or mistakes if one/several of them should skate cleanly and display very difficult technical content just because USFS inflates the PCS scores of the older guys enough to overcome this gap while not inflating the PCS, and possibly even deflating the PCS, of these younger guys. That's what I worry about. If Evan, Johnny, and Jeremy can land the big tricks and keep up the level of the rest of their skating and other guys don't do better, then by all means, they should go to the Olympics, I just want whoever goes to have earned the spot fairly.

  13. #173

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    You really can't compare scores from 2 years ago with the scoring system currently in place. For example, among the many revisions to COP since 2010, the most significant one is that now there are only 7 required elements in the SP as opposed to the 8 elements that were in place in 2010. The men now only have 1 step sequence in the SP. In 2010 and prior years, they had 2 step sequences (an additional element to earn points). Jeremy Abbott's personal best ISU total score is 238.82 based on the 2012 season GPFinal, just 0.05 shy of Weir's total score from 2010. Had Abbott been given the opportunity to perform an extra SP step sequence in last season's GPF, there's no question he would have beaten Weir's score, barring completely wiping out on the step sequence, of course.
    Look at the list of ISU personal best scores carefully. The majority of the top 20 scores were earned AFTER the post 2010 Olympic revisions to the COP. (may have taken out step sequence but quads now worth more points) Had Abbott executed his programs at ISU competitions the way he has at US National, then he would have exceeded Weir and/or Lysacek's personal best ISU scores.

  14. #174

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Uh oh, do you suppose they read FSU?
    FWIW, Angela replied to my tweet earlier today as follows:
    We've finished the last entry. @joshDfarris you better have sent it in to @icenetwork!
    It wasn't long afterwards that their updated blog was posted on IceNetwork.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  15. #175

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,275
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    If Evan, Johnny, and Jeremy can land the big tricks and keep up the level of the rest of their skating and other guys don't do better, then by all means, they should go to the Olympics, I just want whoever goes to have earned the spot fairly.
    And I hope it's that way too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    FWIW, Angela replied to my tweet earlier today as follows:

    It wasn't long afterwards that their updated blog was posted on IceNetwork.


    Oh dear Josh!

    Wonder who'll do the blog for Austria and if Jason will do another one for Turkey? I really liked his Courchevel one.

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Angela and Josh seem to have an interesting relationship off the ice...I get the sense that Josh is rather shy, quiet, nerdy, and serious and Angela is more outgoing, and silly towards him, and he finds it all rather amusing.

  17. #177

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I agree with this however, I don't like a situation where the federation finagles scores to reflection reputation, allowing an oldster to narrowly come out on top of a youngster by inflating the scores of the oldster and holding back the scores of the youngster. I get that Evan and Johnny deserve good PCS, but if they come out at Nationals, fail to land a quad and/or make other mistakes, then I don't think their PCS should allow them to finish ahead of a youngster like Josh if he shows up to Nationals and skates lights out nailing 3a and 4t in the SP and FS. I get there's more to skating than jumps, but there are a lot of men in the US who are sufficient enough in the other areas of skating (Miner, Rippon, Farris, Brown, Messing, Mahbanoozadeh, Dornbush) that Lysacek, Weir, or Abbott should be able to beat them with weak technical content and/or mistakes if one/several of them should skate cleanly and display very difficult technical content just because USFS inflates the PCS scores of the older guys enough to overcome this gap while not inflating the PCS, and possibly even deflating the PCS, of these younger guys. That's what I worry about. If Evan, Johnny, and Jeremy can land the big tricks and keep up the level of the rest of their skating and other guys don't do better, then by all means, they should go to the Olympics, I just want whoever goes to have earned the spot fairly.
    I think the results of 2011 U.S. Nationals shows that the USFSA will not hold up a skater. Abbott was the 2009 & 2010 US Champion and an Olympian; however, he was not held up by PCS. The USFSA had no problem sending Dornbush and Miner to 2011 Worlds based on their placement at Nationals.

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, they didn't hold up Jeremy Abbott. I'm not convinced that's a general policy across the board.

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Well, they didn't hold up Jeremy Abbott. I'm not convinced that's a general policy across the board.
    It's not Jeremy I worry about, and when he skates well Jeremy absolutely deserves huge marks. Not too worried about Johnny either because in the past he hasn't been given big favors by the USFS. My fear is more that Lysacek and Rippon get held up...and that gets me very scared because both their 3As are and I won't even get started about their "quads"....

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Michal Brezina's pants
    Posts
    272
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At least Lysacek is somewhat consistent with the 3A. Rippon on the other hand...

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •