Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

vCash
    N_Halifax, did I ever thank you for that wonderful interview with Jason?
    I hope that you enjoyed doing it, as much as I enjoyed reading it.

Jason's musicianship shines through his skating.

vCash
    what a wonderful ray of sunshine Jason is! And I love that his choreography is done by my forever favorite Obscure North American Skater, Rohene Ward! Thank you so much for the interview, N Halifax

vCash
    An article from Figure Skaters Online: Jason Brown: Ready for the challenge! (includes some fun facts at the end)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Jason was wonderful in SP pracrice here in TEB! Did not put a foot wrong and radiated the joy of skating.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    "A ray of sunshine." Doris nailed it.

vCash
    Glad to hear about his practice, Finnice! Here's hoping that translates to his SP today. Gooooo Jason!!

vCash
    Oh, fingers crossed he can pull off another great SP like SkAm - I'll bet that'd shake up a few of them! (Especially when Chan realises that here's a kid with more transitions than him - and who can actually USE them effectively!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    N_Halifax, did I ever thank you for that wonderful interview with Jason?
    I hope that you enjoyed doing it, as much as I enjoyed reading it.

Jason's musicianship shines through his skating.
    Would you believe he does NOT play a musical instrument? Someone asked him at SA. He and Jeremy Abbott both need to take up a musical instrument when they retire. They're both so naturally musical!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    @USFigureSkating: Nice work, @jasonbskates ! He earns an SP score of 84.77 (season's best) #TeamUSA #TEB2013
    Woohoo!!

vCash
    Looks like Jason has the edge (big edge!) on Joshua as regards making the Olympic Team, and rightfully so, Jason was FABULOUS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Would you believe he does NOT play a musical instrument? Someone asked him at SA. He and Jeremy Abbott both need to take up a musical instrument when they retire. They're both so naturally musical!
    I find that very surprising, on both counts. They're both two of the most naturally musical male skaters in the US today, here I was assuming each of them played at least one instrument. ITA that they should both learn an instrument when they retire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Uh... Are you referring to Jason Brown? The interview mentions that he plays the piano.

Q: You play piano! What do you find the most rewarding about playing music?

A: I've always loved taking piano lessons. I really feel that playing a musical instrument helps with my rhythm and musicality on the ice. When I was younger, playing the piano really taught me a lot about discipline, focus, phrasing, and tempo.

vCash
    FWIW, I never thought being a "musical skater" automatically means the skater could play an instrument well. Being able to move one's body well to music on the ice uses very different muscles and parts of the brain (I assume), yes?

TEB Men's SP recap article by J-C Berlot: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...l-performances
    Relevant excerpt:
    Brown was not known in Paris before he started his short program. He was second to skate Friday night. Two minutes and 40 seconds after he hit the ice, he was a Parisian hero. The 18-year-old landed his triple Axel, triple flip-triple toe and a masterful 'Tano triple Lutz. His spins, his jumps, his steps were like a piano masterclass, as they seemed effortless.

With one edge only, Brown would have crossed the ice in pure delight tonight, so much energy he displayed. Throughout his short program, he showed that rare talent to go to the end of every one of his movements, offering his whole body possibilities at each step. He mastered his body the way Toller Cranston used to, and his inspired joy was reminiscent of Janet Lynn's.

"That crowd was amazing," he said with his unique, enthusiastic style. "You finish your program and you bow to the judges, and when you turn around you discover all the support!" he said.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    FWIW, I never thought being a "musical skater" automatically means the skater could play an instrument well.
    No, I don't think so either. However, people with excellent ability to hear, feel, and express music have often developed that through training on a musical instrument. To be able to move ones body well to music requires the ability to understand music. But- just playing an instrument well doesn't necessarily translate to being able to move the body well. For example, I have no idea how well Yoyo Ma could express music physically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Looks like Jason has the edge (big edge!) on Joshua as regards making the Olympic Team, and rightfully so, Jason was FABULOUS!
    Hey, settle down, we haven't seen Josh's second outing yet. Schindler's List is gorgeous. Can you imagine if they both went clean at Nationals!

I loooooooooooooooooooooooved Jason's SP! He gets better and better all the time! This time it was the spins that had me boggling - I swear he's got faster!

Jason's a very intelligent young man, and I can bet he's learned from the Skate America mistake...oh, I hope we see Riverdance at full strength!

vCash
    Jason is certainlly on fire. His SP scores put him right with the Top League, even without a quad ( and even with PCS which can easily grow with some recognition). Fabulous!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Jason is certainlly on fire. His SP scores put him right with the Top League, even without a quad ( and even with PCS which can easily grow with some recognition). Fabulous!
    My thoughts exactly. Despite all my gripes about component scores, I think international judges have pretty much supported the long-time opinions of Jason Brown's fans. So much for those who are baffled by "all the hype for Jason Brown" and believe his presentation is on the same level as Meite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    FWIW, I never thought being a "musical skater" automatically means the skater could play an instrument well. Being able to move one's body well to music on the ice uses very different muscles and parts of the brain (I assume), yes?
    :
    That's a tricky question Of course musical skaters, or professional dancers, do not automatically play an instrument. However, the need to express oneself through music often manifests early in life, and in many cases the first thing parents do is give a child an instrument. I know quite a few pro dancers, though, who hated practicing an instrument, which always requires lots of sedentary repetition; their bodies rebelled. Still, very different muscles, but the same part of the brain. Feeling and being eble to express emotion through music is the same, whether pressing the keys or moving a body; the ability to feel rhythm, form, melody, it's all the same part of the brain...

It's just when one sees somebody so exceptionally musical, like Jason Brown or Jeremy Abbott, it is easy to assume they would be proficient in music; but it does not have to be. Talent and instinct go a long, long way.
    Last edited by dinakt; 11-16-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Does anyone know where I can find Jason's SP without the music cut out? The copyright is driving me crazy

vCash
    British Eurosport with Sound

There is some kind soul out there who uploads Jason's SPs to Dailymotion to get around the copyright rubbish. PRINCE, YOU ARE NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE. SHUT UP AND LET US ENJOY JASON'S SKATING.

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast