Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    That is exactly what I told him when I spoke to him on Sunday. He said that yes, he absolutely LOVES to be out there and LOVES to perform and I said, yep, it's obvious, and don't ever change!!
    Bless your heart for telling Jason that, and for him sharing his love of skating/performing with you. I had no idea before this weekend that this was his first GP assignment.

vCash
    Joshua's SP from Skate Canada! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNsdjw19maY

He scored 69.14 (TES 33.11, PCS 36.03) and is 8th.

The popped quad sucks, but his refocusing was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab. I love this program.

Now for a haunting Schindler's List tomorrow!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    Bless your heart for telling Jason that, and for him sharing his love of skating/performing with you. I had no idea before this weekend that this was his first GP assignment.
    Yes, last season there seemed to be all sorts of rumblings about whether he had wanted to compete on the senior level. It made sense ultimately for him to seal his Junior career with the championships that he won.

vCash
    Well, the men's event was a bit of a splatfest, but Josh managed to pull up to 5th and was 4th in the FS so good for him! And he was the top American man at this event! Looking at the scores, his FS number was not that far off from Hanyu and Oda in 2nd and 3rd. A good step in the right direction for him. I also like this costume better, but still not sure if I'm sold on it. He totally could have landed that 4t too!

vCash
    Josh's LP to Schindler's List is absolutely STUNNING. Even with the mistakes, it makes a feeling in my heart...it's like going into a trance, watching him skate that program.

I love the new costume. My only issue is that maybe it needs a belt, or a few stitches in at the back, because right now, he doesn't always have a waist in it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Josh's LP to Schindler's List is absolutely STUNNING. Even with the mistakes, it makes a feeling in my heart...it's like going into a trance, watching him skate that program.
    I agree, looking forward to when he skates it to his potential.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Joshua's skating is like a dream. He leaves me captivated and spellbound. I can say the same about Jason too. I am officially on the Joshua Farris/Jason Brown bandwagon for the long haul. Both of these young men have made me a fan for life. I am so impressed with them and they most certainly are the future, and perhaps the present, of US men's figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Joshua's skating is like a dream. He leaves me captivated and spellbound. I can say the same about Jason too. I am officially on the Joshua Farris/Jason Brown bandwagon for the long haul. Both of these young men have made me a fan for life. I am so impressed with them and they most certainly are the future, and perhaps the present, of US men's figure skating.
    Especially after watching some of the older US Men bomb this weekend. Both Jason and Joshua need to start landing the quad though to break through to the next level. Josh has already landed them before but is struggling and Jason has yet to try. Right now the US Men seem to either be able to land quads but lack skating skills like Max or not land quads like Josh and Jason but have the other skills to be champions one day but no one skater who has both at the moment.

vCash

vCash
    Why is there one thread for two skaters who are completely different?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why is there one thread for two skaters who are completely different?
    From the OP:
    By request, since we were kinda taking over the US Men's thread in GSD.
    It's sort of the US Men's thread...

vCash
    The main U.S. Men's news and updates thread is in GSD.

I think this is the only joint Uber thread in the Trash Can right now. At some point in the future, Farris and Brown will probably have separate uber threads, I assume.

Skate Canada action photos of Josh (2 from SP, 2 from FS): http://www3.daylife.com/search/photo...013+Saint+John
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Given the insanity of certain ice dance team ubers, it's nice that (so far), this thread has been equally friendly to both skaters (who are reportedly good friends).

vCash
    Fantastic skate from Josh last night! And it gets even better when you realize that he choreographed it himself (with a little help). Here's a version without comments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsygOJRfMXQ
    Also
    Jeffrey Buttle ‏@J_Butt
    Wow wow wow, Joshua Farris is the real deal. Breath taking! #SCI13
    How awesome would it be if these two worked on a program together?

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laire View Post
    Fantastic skate from Josh last night! And it gets even better when you realize that he choreographed it himself (with a little help). Here's a version without comments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsygOJRfMXQ
    Also

As a Buttle uber for many many years, seeing that quote from him about Josh makes me so very happy!!

vCash
    Until now it still makes sense to have a joint uber thread for two young men of almost the same age who have shared a friendly rivalry since they were little boys, from Novice up to Senior, in US competitions as well as on the JGP circuits, and who apparently admire and appreciate each other over the years. US fans (like me) have watched them "grew up together", in a sense, and many hope they can maintain the friendly competition with each other and push each other for as long as they can, so that we don't have to break up the thread into two vicious uber threads arguing who is better by arguing who is worse.

The thing I dislike about Josh's "Schindler's List" is the literal and overly sentimental approach to the choreography and performance. It's already a heavily sad and tragic piece of music with a movie behind it to illustrate how sad and tragic the story is. To pile on the mournfulness and tormented feelings with out and out expression is a bit ... hmm ... like screaming in my ear how I should feel and think. I mean, sure, nearly every figure skating program is screaming in my ear with the most obvious messages, telling me exactly how to feel and what to think. It's rampant in figure skating choreography. "I'm doing Carmen! I'm fierce! I'm seductive!" Or "I'm doing Benny Goodman's band! I'm jazzy! I'm happy!" Or "I'm doing Gladiator! I'm tough! I'm strong! I'm heroic!" Or "I'm doing Romeo and Juliet! I'm romantic and baroque and tragic!"

I'm just a little tired of being told the obvious in general, but I understand most judges and spectators may not get it if the program is a bit obscure. You can't risk confusing them with irony or subtlety or restraint.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 10-27-2013 at 03:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laire View Post
    Also

Josh is reminiscent of Buttle in some ways, and Cousins too. I'd love to see him work with either or both as choreographers in the future.

vCash
    Loved Josh's Schlinder's List program, just beautiful.

vCash
    I worry about Josh and his training. TSL said it's well known in Colorado that Josh doesn't train his programs and it shows. You can't hope to be a great skater if you don't put in the work and i don't understand why his coaches are not pushing him more. He has the talent to make the team even at 18. But lack of training if you are not hurt is inexcusable especially in a Olympic year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I worry about Josh and his training. TSL said it's well known in Colorado that Josh doesn't train his programs and it shows. You can't hope to be a great skater if you don't put in the work and i don't understand why his coaches are not pushing him more. He has the talent to make the team even at 18. But lack of training if you are not hurt is inexcusable especially in a Olympic year.
    I thought Josh didn't have the best ATTITUDE toward his training, ie he has a tendency to get emotional and frustrates easily, but I certainly think he trains hard. The Tom Z comments and comments Josh himself has made alludes to the attitude side of his training not being the best, and it seems like in years past that definitely was the case but has gotten a lot better under Allen and Krall. Given the way he kept reeling off those nearly clean FPs last season, I would think he trains his programs a lot and quite well. I have never heard anything from Krall or Allen's mouth that suggests he doesn't train hard, the only comments about his training I've heard have come from Josh himself or TSL via Tom Z, who hasn't been Josh's coach for 3 seasons now and considering how much better Josh's competition results have gotten since he left Tom makes me think that maybe some of those training issues Tom mentioned have since been fixed.

Anyways, I hope Josh can have more confidence going into COR and Nationals now, because even not skating his best he can realize he does belong on the senior GP. Being the top placed American man and posting a FS score only a handful of points below skaters like Oda and Hanyu overall and even getting PCS marks close to those two and Abbott, and higher than Brezina, Miner, and Mura, it really shows that he can compete with those guys and has no reason to feel out of place or intimidated. And he can do way better than he did at SC too, so really, there is a lot to be optimistic about.

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast