Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

vCash
    I'd like to see him get his jump landings cleaned up a lot, and some nice running edges out of the jumps.

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'n sure that the "improvements" that some are anxious about, will come, in time.
    Congratulations, Jason!

vCash
    Jason's programs are beginning to come together & show promise for GP & nationals. He's a contender!

vCash
    Did Josh get 2 grand prix assignments this season. I am having trouble opening the ISU grand prix assignments reader.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Did Josh get 2 grand prix assignments this season. I am having trouble opening the ISU grand prix assignments reader.
    He's got two
    Last edited by Impromptu; 09-29-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: misread original

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    He's got two
    Thanks. Who does he have in his events. I was hoping he could make the Grand Prix final this year. Is that realistic.

vCash
    Josh's two events are Skate Canada and Cup of Russia. I don't know that him making the GPF is a particularly realistic prospect at this stage. At Skate Canada he has to contend with Chan, Oda (I think?), as well as Abbott and Miner, and other strong skaters. At CoR, he has to deal with not only Chan, but Kovtun, Gachinski and of course, Plushenko. Given that to qualify for GPF you usually need to finish no lower than second twice...I love Josh but I don't think this year's GPF is for him.

vCash
    Evan has withdrawn from SA so we should hear soon, I would imagine, that Jason is going! http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...y-torn-labrum/

Torn labrum in the hip is seeming unfortunately common, no? Coughlin, Czisny, Kwan, Lipinski, and now Evan?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I happened to be reading Janet Lynn and her comments on the IJS and skater safety may be a propos -- see paras 6-8. (Sorry, the article format doesnt allow cut and paste, ar least on my ipad.)

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...%20freedom.htm

vCash
    Congrats to Jason!

Our own Patrick Chan, but better.

vCash
    Let's let Jason be Jason - no need to compare him with anyone else, IMO. Same with Josh.

It's official! Tweeted by USFS:
    NEWS: Jason Brown (@jasonbskates) will replace @EvanLysacek at 2013 @HiltonHHonors Skate America #SA2013
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Let's let Jason be Jason - no need to compare him with anyone else, IMO. Same with Josh.

It's official! Tweeted by USFS:
    They are both amazing. And so different. It is fun to be their fan
    Congratulations to Jason on Skate America!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I have more reasons to look forward to Skate America, now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Congrats to Jason!

Our own Patrick Chan, but better.
    Well said, LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Josh's two events are Skate Canada and Cup of Russia. I don't know that him making the GPF is a particularly realistic prospect at this stage. At Skate Canada he has to contend with Chan, Oda (I think?), as well as Abbott and Miner, and other strong skaters. At CoR, he has to deal with not only Chan, but Kovtun, Gachinski and of course, Plushenko. Given that to qualify for GPF you usually need to finish no lower than second twice...I love Josh but I don't think this year's GPF is for him.
    The article from SLC said that Josh has set lofty goals of placing at his GP events, but nothing was said about the GP final. I took that as meaning that he was shooting to maybe walk away with 2 bronzes this GP season and thought it could be possible if he can skate up to his potential at his events and/or capitalize on others' mistakes. The fact that the GPF wasn't even mentioned makes me think Josh and his coaches don't think it's really realistic and I would agree. And 2 bronze medals wouldn't make the GPF but could maybe be possible if everything aligns in his favor. Personally, I would just be happy to see Josh finish in the middle of the pack at his GPs as opposed to last or nearly last, because I think being a newbie senior finishing in the 4th-7th range is perfectly acceptable and about on target with what one would expect from a top junior skater in his first senior season. In the ladies it's different I know and we often see JW champions winning events and making GPF, but with men it's less realistic.

Also excited Jason has officially been assigned to SA! Like with Josh, I will be happy if he can place in the middle of the pack at his 2 events. And really, if Jason doesn't go for the quad in his programs like he didn't at Nebelhorn, finishing in the middle of the group is actually quick impressive.

The nice thing, I think, is that Josh and especially Jason, are really darkhorses for the Olympic team rather than contenders, so there isn't a lot of pressure or expectations for them beyond what they place on themselves, and given that they are new seniors in an Olympic season, I tend to think that, apart from finishing dead last with a big score deficit from the rest of the competitors, any result on the GP is unlikely to really hurt their chances going into Nationals and good results will only help them. For example, I think the GP results are going to be much more important for skaters like Abbott (inconsistent for a few seasons now, 3rd at Nats, needs the momentum), Miner (ended the season on a low note after starting out pretty strong, his silver at Nats was arguably reputation based, GP results will give us a better idea of if he's back to being "Steady Eddie" or is less reliable/less competitive now that the technical demands are being raised), and Dornbush (inconsistent last season and for awhile now, but ended season on a high note, has put up some big numbers in the past and if he can do so again he can become a frontrunner, but if not he remains a question mark).

vCash
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy Jason!

vCash
    Here's Josh Farris' exhibition number at Harvard's "Evening with Champions" show this past weekend:
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Joshua Farris He came out and did a 3axel as an encore after missing the one in his program. Someone yelled out 'I love you' when he got on the ice and he actually waved in her general direction. Happy campers all around . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLLYhXxiJ8g
    EWC photo gallery and article links are posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4013356
    Excerpt:
    Reigning world junior champion Joshua Farris skated to "Feel Again" by One Republic; he landed a triple loop and a huge triple toe, as well as a huge triple Axel as his encore.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Josh is one of the fun 60-second interviews done at the Evening With Champions reception (and he also does some of the interviewing):

http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v31120037
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Hmmmm, looks like someone is just a little bit excited about his trip to Detroit this week!

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/sta...383360/photo/1

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast