Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Love Libertango. Strongly dislike Schindler's List. It's not just because this program, from music cuts to the stylistic approach, invites comparison with the Jonathan Cassar program (which it does), but also because it does not suit Farris. It does not look right on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    Love Libertango. Strongly dislike Schindler's List. It's not just because this program, from music cuts to the stylistic approach, invites comparison with the Jonathan Cassar program (which it does), but also because it does not suit Farris. It does not look right on him.
    It took me about a minute into the program to stop comparing Josh to Jonathan Cassar. Not quite fair, as Cassar's Shindler's list is one of those legendary "perfect" pieces. Once I got over visualizing Jonathan, I loved what Josh did with the LP. His seems to be more emoting the music than retelling Jewish tragedy; and I am fine with that. In fact, I am grateful Josh did not go there as I do not think he could... but I think what he did works. I'll be rewatching repeatedly, no doubt, so maybe my thoughts will be clearer later. At this moment I am very happy he is challenging himself artistically. In fact, he is challenging himself more than I thought possible in a year, for an 18- year- old. Hope he holds on to his basics.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    It took me about a minute into the program to stop comparing Josh to Jonathan Cassar. Not quite fair, as Cassar's Shindler's list is one of those legendary "perfect" pieces. Once I got over visualizing Jonathan, I loved what Josh did with the LP. His seems to be more emoting the music than retelling Jewish tragedy; and I am fine with that. In fact, I am grateful Josh did not go there as I do not think he could... but I think what he did works. I'll be rewatching repeatedly, no doubt, so maybe my thoughts will be clearer later. At this moment I am very happy he is challenging himself artistically. In fact, he is challenging himself more than I thought possible in a year, for an 18- year- old. Hope he holds on to his basics.
    That's the problem for me. He is 18. He worked very hard on expressing very melancholic music with a very heavy story behind it. It seems too "old" for him. Nevertheless his performances in both programs show that he can do it and he has improved massively from the awkward kid who used to rush through his elements just a few years go.

The choreography in itself is very different from Cassar's program, but the music construction and the instrumentation sound familiar. Maybe I'm too attached to the Cassar program. I just feel a bit weird watching Josh's program.

I have watched Josh since he was 13. Up until the "Claire de Lune" short program, he had been always sort of unformed. The lyrical style seems to touch a spot at the right time and he's gravitated toward the lyrical music and developed good extensions and posture in 3 seasons. He has found the elegance you referred to and, in my eyes, a clarity and simplicity that seem to fit. Nevertheless, I think it's too early for him to get defined. It's part of the reason I'm utterly delighted by the piano Libertango. I wish he were given some more age-appropriate programs and see where it takes him.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 09-14-2013 at 05:04 AM.

vCash
    Joshua's FS is poignant, lyrical, and will be spellbinding when he skates it clean, and out of this world when he adds a quad as well. He just needs way more *confidence* by the boat load and that can only come when one has studied something to death, so that when the final comes you can just sit back and relax, knowing you (or in this case) Josh has all the answers. No problema. Take a page from Max Aaron and the confidence he exudes, and which shows in his skating. jmho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    That's the problem for me. He is 18. He worked very hard on expressing very melancholic music with a very heavy story behind it. It seems too "old" for him. Nevertheless his performances in both programs show that he can do it and he has improved massively from the awkward kid who used to rush through his elements just a few years go.

The choreography in itself is very different from Cassar's program, but the music construction and the instrumentation sound familiar. Maybe I'm too attached to the Cassar program. I just feel a bit weird watching Josh's program.

I have watched Josh since he was 13. Up until the "Claire de Lune" short program, he had been always sort of unformed. The lyrical style seems to touch a spot at the right time and he's gravitated toward the lyrical music and developed good extensions and posture in 3 seasons. He has found the elegance and a clarity that seem to fit. Nevertheless I think it's too early for him to get defined. It's part of the reason I'm utterly delighted to see the piano Libertango. I wish he were given some more age-appropriate programs and see where it takes him.
    Re: being 18 I say if he feels it he should go for it. It's like talented young pianists want to play the most dramatic pieces. The interpretation will be different 10 years later, but the as long as sincerity is there and there are technical chops to back it up, emotional challenge is a great thing for personal growth. And I went completely off the skating rails Good night!
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Bit concerned about Josh's scores at SLC, hoping it's because the programs are new and he's arranging his training to peak at the right time (which would not be now), but his TES in the FS was rather low. But perhaps for GP skaters, this comp is really just a warm-up event where they compete to get their programs out, whereas for someone like Carriere it's one of his bigger events of the season and could potentially get him a SkAm spot when/if Lysacek pulls out. I have yet to see Josh's FS but I bet I will like it as I usually enjoy his classical programs. He's giving himself an awfully hard job though, choreographing both his programs while also having to train them? You would think focusing on the jumps is hard enough! For 18 though his choreography is pretty good.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I was at the men's FS tonight and was blown totally away by Josh's program. I'm a huge Jon Cassar fan and loved, loved, loved his Schindler's List, but my appreciation for that program doesn't take anything away from my appreciation for Josh's version. I thought it was stunning, and even with the mistakes he still performed and emoted beautifully. Man, when he can put it all together, LOOK OUT.

The medal ceremony was a blast. Max had to do an interview right after the medalists got off the ice, but they needed to stick around to take more photos, so Josh and Stephen were just hanging out right below us while Max went backstage. They were both talking to the crowd, and Stephen was telling stories. All my photos from the competition, the ceremony, and afterward are uploading now. They should be done by morning.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laire View Post
    Ahhh, that 4toe was SO CLOSE. He just had the slightest hesitation as he was vaulting into the air and you can't hesitate going into a quad; you have to be fearless and the jump has to snap. That 3Axel was truly a beauty and disguised so well in the program with hardly no setup. He was leaning too forward on the landing of the 3Lutz to be able to have the speed to pull off the 3toe, so wise decision to do a double; otherwise, he probably would have fallen on the 3toe attempt. His step sequence looks very difficult and intricate; no wonder he was so winded after the program. I really like this program for Josh; he has grown so much that he is unrecognizable to the kid who skated in Greensboro back in 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laire View Post
    The quad was soooooooooooooooo close! And I just LOVE that 3A entry!

Actually, I've decided I really love this program. It's so very and mature and I like that it's not an out-and-out all-sexy-like tango, he does the intense look very well and it makes you go a bit simply because it's NOT overtly sexy. The choreo is ! I love it! The spins need work but for this stage of the season, not bad.

No wonder he was puffed at the end. That music was way faster than anything he's skated to in the last few seasons and he was keeping up with it, too. He's still quite skinny and there's that asthma to consider so a pretty good effort!

And because I feel contrary, I actually really like the costume. It makes him look broader across the chest, and it does say tango to me.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash

vCash
    OMG TanithandBenFan! Your photos are all so great!

I really like Max's new costume. Simple, elegant, flatters and suits his bodyline (and let's face it...Max should never wear anything other than skin-tight! ). I'm not entirely sure about Josh's yet. It looks very much like a flipped version of his Bach costume. Slightly more mature look though.

The picture of Max and Josh hugging was unbelievably cute (if only because suddenly Max looked positively tiny). And Josh's pleased adorable cheesy grin makes me giggle!

vCash
    I think the step sequence in the SP is sick and will look fantastic later this season, when Josh feels himself more confident in this program. I also feel optimistic about the quad, it is definitely coming.
    As for the clothes, I don't like neither the SP nor the LP costume. I don't know about the tango, there's been so many vest + shirt combinations that it's hard to think about something original. But for the long I feel like he needs something a la Jeremy's shirt from last season's LP. That's just my opinion, I'm not a big fashion expert But I always liked how Jeff Buttle was dressed, all his shirts. So I'd like to see Josh wearing something similiar. (also Jeff is one of my all-time favorite skaters, so maybe I'm just mirroring his stuff on my present/future favorite)
    Now all we need is the LP video.

vCash
    Great photos TanithBenFan. Thanks for posting. Keep up the blogging. There is an earnesty to your fan posts that is supportive and positive. Not like some other blogs which are currently topical and hot (flaming? burning?)

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Great photos TanithBenFan. Thanks for posting. Keep up the blogging. There is an earnesty to your fan posts that is supportive and positive. Not like some other blogs which are currently topical and hot (flaming? burning?)
    Thank you, I really appreciate that! I don't have time to write up my thoughts while I'm at the event because it's so hectic, but I'll definitely put some thoughts together on the performances when I get home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'm not entirely sure about Josh's yet. It looks very much like a flipped version of his Bach costume.
    I think he needs a new costume designer, stat.

All of them look the same--black pants with a sequenced black top that looks like an animal has slashed its claws through it.

Time for a new direction. Can we get some variation in color and pattern maybe? Something with a theme?

vCash
    I rewatched Joshua's LP and I love it. The last minute in particular breaks my heart, in the best of ways. I still cannot get over the fact that he took risks with both programs and co- choreographed them, and they look good.
    Last edited by dinakt; 09-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.

vCash
    Just saw the FS! My thoughts:

THE PROGRAM - Love it and how he managed to make a piece of music that's not a warhorse per se, but often heard in figure skating, and make it his own. I like how the first half is set to abstract parts of the music score that AREN'T heard a lot and then it doesn't get into the familiar main theme until halfway through. The opening can be really powerful when he gets the jumps down and is really quite stirring. Then I love that slide spiral/spin thing he does during the main theme, it's so elegant and timed to the music.

THE JUMPS - Weren't there. However, it IS early. He didn't seem happy about his performance so my guess is he either had a major space-out moment during his program where he was so focused on the music and emoting that the jumps went on auto-pilot (and didn't happen), or he had kinda been cruising through practices the past few weeks, thinking he had plenty of time to get in shape for the GPs, and then saw here that he needs to kick the training up a notch to get to the form we saw from him last season/the form he needs to be competitive on the GP because what he's been doing so far isn't going to get him the results he wants and is capable of. Mostly, he seemed a bit slow and tentative. I am not too worried, though, because he has good technique and he does not look to have changed much, physically, during the off-season. He's a bit broader through the upper body which is a normal transformation for his age and unlikely to mess up his jumps, and other than that it just seems like he maybe has gained a few pounds in the off season, which is very typical and likely to get shed once the season gets into full swing and he's training programs more. So nothing drastic or alarming, and we saw last season he does seem to be able to turn on the focus and intensity when it counts. The speed is something he should work on but it's getting better and hasn't really affected his jumping in the past. Josh seems pretty self-motivated and there are 6 weeks until SC so my guess is the jumps will be much better there.

THE COSTUME - Too much like his other ones and not a huge fan. I think for this program, either a tight top and pants or unitard in muted neutral colors (gray, slate blue, or navy) would work better, or he could do tight pants with a loose, blousy top. Sort of like this one he wore a couple seasons ago. And idk, I guess those pants he wears just bug me because they aren't loose and flowing but they aren't tight either, and that combined with that kind of loose but somewhat fitted top just doesn't accentuate his lines. He has lovely, long leg lines but they aren't showcased enough in his costumes. Also, I think he either needs to grow the hair out again or do a total buzz/crew cut, not sure what's going on with that long at the top/short at the sides thing, but it looks a little funny. He's cute anyways.

MY OUTLOOK GOING INTO THE SEASON - It's fabulous that Josh is showing so much artistic improvement, potential, and maturity. HOWEVER, I will say that for this season, if he's aiming to make the Olympic team and/or a splash in seniors, he should probably just focus on the jumps. I say this because, good consistent jumping could very well get him on that Olympic team, whereas good artistry with spotty jumps is unlikely to help build his reputation, and maybe even his PCS, just because delivering strong technical performances consistently on the international stage will result in higher PCS. And Josh has a good reputation coming up from juniors combined with solid basics and no area where he's really lacking, so his PCS will probably be competitive with the other US guys in contention for the Olympic spots (save Abbott, if he doesn't bomb) - even if he's not that involved in his programs. So the artistic ability is great news for Josh's future, and potentially present if he can keep up that kind of artistry with doing the jumps he needs, but in terms of focus on one versus the other, for now, focusing on jumps is likely to get him farther. Abbott, Rippon, Brown, Johnson, etc. are all very strong artistically as well - if Josh wants to beat these guys, his odds of doing it are better by maximizing his TES rather than hoping to make up ground in PCS. Just my two cents, but perhaps, Josh and his team are not that concerned about this Olympic cycle, and are focusing more big-picture on the next quad and being a contender for 2018 - if that is the case, then I think he's moving in the right direction.

vCash
    I have to agree that Farris needs to focus on the jumps to be competitive among US men. His skating skills and interpretation/expression are still a way behind Brown, even though he's made substantial improvement in the past couple of years.

vCash
    I want Jason Brown to go to the Olympics so badly I can hardly stand it. His skating is absolutely stunning and I LOVE his FS this year.

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast