Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Jason has a fabulous new FS but I think 3a could continue to be a bit of a problem jump for him for awhile, it didn't look great at Glacier Falls and he doesn't seem to get the same height/distance on his axel jumps that he does on his backwards takeoff jumps. It will be interesting to see Brown vs. Rippon and who gets the SA spot (or if it goes to someone else entirely) because I feel they have similar strengths and weaknesses, though Brown's skating skills and speed are stronger than Rippon, and his spins and lines even better (which is crazy to think because Adam's are sublime, but Jason just brings it to a new level, that donut/biellman spin he does is just unreal). I wish Jason would at least try the quad so we could see what it looks like, I feel like he might have more success with a quad than the 3a to be perfectly honest, and it's not like his 3a is that problematic/sketchy (like Lysacek's), it's just more not a gorgeous jump for him, compared to skaters like Farris and Dornbush who jump 3a beautifully (probably the best of all the US guys now). Maybe if Jason simplified the entrance, the 3a would work better? He's giving himself an awfully hard task with those crazy entrances! But anyways, considering Jason's monster GF score though with mistakes, I say he's heavy edge to Rippon at this point.

Oh yeah and some pictures of Josh from the Sun Valley show surfaced on facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1 ...looks like someone's been pumping some serious iron, his arms and legs have never looked that strong/muscular before. Hoping the added muscle is helping his skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Oh yeah and some pictures of Josh from the Sun Valley show surfaced on facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1 ...looks like someone's been pumping some serious iron, his arms and legs have never looked that strong/muscular before. Hoping the added muscle is helping his skating!
    He does look broader across the chest. I'm glad he got his wish and put on some weight. I hope it helps! 4T-3T?

vCash
    Gah I hope so, I wish there were some videos somewhere. Josh has the tendency to fall off the face of the earth during the summer and it makes the start of the season very nerve wracking, having no idea how his programs or jumps are looking. At least Salt Lake City is only a month away!

vCash
    Well, his invisibility last off-season didn't hurt anything. Looking forward to SLC also.

The guys are out and about on Twitter.

Josh is clearly not worried by anything

My god I've been lazy today #Beingproductive
    Jason, meanwhile, is clearly a little traumatized...

People used to think that my coach Kori was my mom...Now when we travel with her kids they ask me if I'm the FATHER! #definitelynotthefather
    Poor Jason.
    Last edited by misskarne; 08-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.

vCash
    Re-posting these new videos from the Glacier Falls competition thread in Kiss and Cry (thanks to UMBS Go Blue!):

Jason's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7MkQMqzCd8
    Jason's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX8HxcaLj8

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Joshua skated at the Vail Invitational, which he also did last year. Unfortunately, Vail is a very tiny competition, and the scores aren't available.
    I recently received a copy of the results from Vail and, from the scores, it seems to have been a somewhat rough pre-season debut for Josh (no need to panic, anyone): 54.89 in SP and 120.52 in FS. Hopefully he is training well for SLC.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I recently received a copy of the results from Vail and, from the scores, it seems to have been a somewhat rough pre-season debut for Josh (no need to panic, anyone): 54.89 in SP and 120.52 in FS. Hopefully he is training well for SLC.
    Cheers Sylvia. TSL did mention in passing that Josh had a difficult time at Vail and even had to stop his LP partway through because he forgot it Always good to get the glitches out of the way early! On to SLC!

vCash

Jason's sp

Thank you for sharing Jason's sp on this site. Thank goodness he discarded that costume from last year's sp. It was over bearing, too big. He has incredible
    body lines and needs to show his fabulous flair! Good job Jason! I hope Joshua can pull it together for Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Re-posting these new videos from the Glacier Falls competition thread in Kiss and Cry (thanks to UMBS Go Blue!):

Jason's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7MkQMqzCd8
    Jason's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX8HxcaLj8

vCash
    Jason has been assigned to compete at the Nebelhorn Trophy from 25-28 September!

Entry list

Being the Olympic qualifier for a lot of us smaller countries, his competition at Nebelhorn is not especially fierce. Oda, Martinez and Dmitriev are shaping up as his stiffest competition. A nice little introduction to international Seniors.

vCash
    Congrats to Jason! He's already in very good form from what we've seen so far this summer so I think he definitely has a shot to win Nebelhorn (Oda can be formidable competition but he has to count his jumps ), which would be a great start to his first senior season. Hope the guys have fun at their first Champs Camp this week!

vCash
    Interesting. I just got done with watching TSL's This and That and even they are starting to doubt that Lysacek will show at SLC. And then they mentioned that if Lysacek withdrew...it could be Jason who gets his spot.

Max, Josh, and Jason at SLC together? Can SLC handle that much amazing in one competition?

vCash
    But isn't Nebelhorn right after? I suppose Jason could do SLC instead of Nebelhorn...that would be interesting.

vCash
    The last time Nebelhorn Trophy was also an Olympic qualifying competition, the scores counted toward the ISU Seasons Best list so that's a bonus that other Senior B competitions do not have.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    From a photo shoot in Manitou Springs yesterday, tweeted by @LynnRutherford:
    "Champs Camp photo shoot ... This is closest @joshDfarris will ever come to eating ice cream cone." http://pic.twitter.com/J9PbyZgmaG

Jason tweeted today:
    "Yesterday at #ChampsCamp...Heard the best speech ever from my skating idol, and was surrounded by ppl I look up to!" http://pic.twitter.com/qRKYbP1qMd

vCash
    USFSA tweeted this Vine video from before the Champs Camp dinner: Jason Brown flips out!

Not a bad tumbling pass for a figure skater!

vCash
    Jason tweeted:
    "Over the past 14 years with Kori...This is one thing we hadn't done! See the resemblance?! #Caricatures #ChampsCamp" http://pic.twitter.com/UNiVYCwE8V

vCash
    Jason was a former gymnast and he does have the ideal body type for that sport being light, wiry, and short but with very strong shoulders! I like his round-off whip-back, my guess is he's been practicing backflipping on ice because he does not set for the flip at all, which you wouldn't need to do on ice because you have the momentum from skating to get your legs over quick enough without going straight up. I wonder if we will see Jason rock the backflip in a new exhibition soon!

vCash
    It's been a busy few days for both of them - and Josh is about to step out in his first visible competition of the season!

Here's an article on Jason about skating, college, Kori, and being an extremely energetic little boy...

When Coach Kori Ade met Jason a few years later, he had not yet given up his wild ways on the ice.

“He was totally out of control,” Ade said, “…sort of a coach’s dream and nightmare all wrapped into one athletic bundle.”

Ade taught technique in small, disguised doses. For example, when Jason was struggling to land a jump at age seven, Ade told him his mind must be focused enough to communicate instructions to the body, but he didn’t grasp this direct approach.

The coach then took a paper clip and tied it to a string, and she would not let him back on the ice until he could move the paper clip with his mind.

“I remember seeing him focus, and it was the quietest I’ve ever seen his body,” Ade said. “He needed to re-center himself when he was wild and losing direction.”
    (Hands up if you now have a very adorable mental image of a teeny weeny Jason with his big brown eyes fixed on that paper clip. *raises hand*)

Josh's short program is tomorrow (12th September, 20:15 local time). Lynn Rutherford (@lynnrutherford) live-tweeted the men's SP practice today:

Farris Libertango run-thru: fall 4toe; good 3A, really nice sit combo spin. Stops for a while, picks up with good steps incl leaps.
    In the preview article on IceNetwork, Josh is revealed to be trying 4T-3T in the short program, and to be going for two quads in the long.

Damon Allen, who coaches Farris with Christy Krall in Colorado Springs, thinks there's a good chance the skater will soon add a quad Salchow to his arsenal.

"His goal for the season is to place at his senior Grand Prix events and make a statement, not just get his foot in the door," Allen said. "This summer, the first quad Salchow he tried on the pole harness, he landed with a step out. The eventual goal is to do a quad in the short and two in the free."

I hope there are going to be videos available somewhere for those of us geoblocked from IceNetwork!

vCash
    Watched Josh tonight on IN, and I'm not quite feeling his new SP. Imho he needs more confidence (more outings under his belt) and a costume change as well as hair (sleek it back imho). But not bad though, good job for his debut on the senior international circuit.

vCash
    Here is Josh's content from the SP:

4T (step), 3A (+), FSSp4, 3Lz-2T, CCSp3, StSq2, CCoSp1, TES = 37.67, PCS = 34.18, TSS = 71.85

I'm hearing mixed reactions about the program itself. A few people like it, some don't.

Here's what TSL had to say on Facebook:

Josh Farris: Such strong artistry. Step out of quad; really strong attempt. 3 axel hung on. Skating a lot better than during warmup. Forward landing on 3lutz-2 toe. Trip during footwork. Program loses you at the end. Seemed very focused but lost steam at the end. 72.58. 2nd.
    As an interesting side-note, his listed "planned elements" on IceNetwork says "Quad Salchow" instead of "Quad Toe".

And I haven't actually seen the program yet (THANKS FOR THE GEOBLOCK, IN!), so I'm hanging out hopefully for a Youtube vid...

EDIT:

But there are a few pictures floating around!

http://www3.daylife.com/photo/09Wp9I...S+Classic+2013

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...rena.html?pg=2 (attached in a gallery)

And the daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarling TanithandBenFan, who is actually in SLC, has kindly agreed to share her photos! https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...84456109224369 Lots and lots of intense!Josh and all sorts of great angles on the new costume.

I looooooooooooooooooove his new costume. Very adult and strong and .
    Last edited by misskarne; 09-13-2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: pictures emerged!

vCash
    Hi misskarne, I hope you get to see the SP soon.
    I personally loved it. The step sequence was smudged because of a stumble, and sure it needs work, but it is beautiful. Some elements are reminiscent of Abbott's Tango/Flamenco SP, but that being Josh there is more of a classical look about it. Which I think nothing could, or should, change. Joshua seems innately elegant in his skating, and even tango is no exception, but I think it works, and temperament is there. When he "hits" it, it's intricate and very musical. The opening pose looks uncomfortable to me, with torso being twisted and the need to hold it. But oh well. Overall I think it can be smashing.
    Last edited by dinakt; 09-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast