Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

vCash
    Jammers, do you ever make a positive comment?

vCash
    So I'm starting to worry about Jason. Yes he won this JGP event and will qualify for the JGPF, but his score is worrisome, not even breaking the 200 mark. And he again didn't fully rotate or cleanly land the one 3a he tried. He hasn't grown since last season, I haven't heard that he's injured, so I have to wonder if the 3a is ever going to be a consistent jump for him at this point, it's just getting very late in terms of his age to acquire that jump and truly "have it" in his arsenal. His artistry is lovely, as are his spins, but it seems like the judges are holding back his PCS a bit because of his technical limitations, which is frustrating. And he got edge calls on his lutz AND flip in the FS...without a quad and a 3a that's still in development, he really cannot afford to give up any additional points like that. The 3f edge call seemed to be a fluke but he does have a flutz, it's not terrible but I think, especially now that it's started getting called, he's going to get dinged for it more often than not. I'm not giving up hope yet, he's such an exquisite skater with a distinct, unique style which is awesome, but I think some big changes regarding coaching and/or training methods, regimens, location, schedules, etc are going to have to be in the cards for him, and soon, if he wants to have a shot at making it on the senior international stage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    So I'm starting to worry about Jason.
    I'm not!

Yes he won this JGP event and will qualify for the JGPF, but his score is worrisome, not even breaking the 200 mark.
    Although admittedly his lack of 200+ is and .

And he again didn't fully rotate or cleanly land the one 3a he tried. He hasn't grown since last season, I haven't heard that he's injured, so I have to wonder if the 3a is ever going to be a consistent jump for him at this point, it's just getting very late in terms of his age to acquire that jump and truly "have it" in his arsenal.
    Actually, if we ignore the two-foot landing, I thought the landings were very solid. It was quite funny - he was majorly crossed up especially on the LP one but he didn't even look like he was going to fall. Rather impressive.

He was much closer on the LP one, and I think he'll get it. Hopefully, sooner rather than later. He was rather close. If he can get his free leg unstuck, I think we'll see him landing it.

I'm glad he's trying it.

And he got edge calls on his lutz AND flip in the FS...without a quad and a 3a that's still in development, he really cannot afford to give up any additional points like that. The 3f edge call seemed to be a fluke but he does have a flutz, it's not terrible but I think, especially now that it's started getting called, he's going to get dinged for it more often than not.
    The flip call has to be a freak call because his flip is gorgeous. The lutz has been a flutz for several seasons now, as I said after Courchevel I'm surprised it's taken this long to be called. (Interestingly, the flutz wasn't called in the SP here.)

I'm not giving up hope yet, he's such an exquisite skater with a distinct, unique style which is awesome, but I think some big changes regarding coaching and/or training methods, regimens, location, schedules, etc are going to have to be in the cards for him, and soon, if he wants to have a shot at making it on the senior international stage.
    Disagree. And after this year when he graduates school he may switch to skating full-time anyway and who knows, maybe that'll be the tip over the edge he needs. Anyway, I disagree that he needs such a dramatic shakeup as you describe. Maybe bringing in someone else to work with him on jumps wouldn't be a bad idea...paying a visit to Ilia Kulik in California, for example, might be beneficial. But I disagree with the attitude that just because he's struggling with the 3A means he should ditch Kori.

vCash
    Has Kori ever coached a top international competitor on the senior level though? She's a wonderful coach, I just can't help but wonder if Jason's "outgrown" her in a sense and she just can't offer much more to him, in which case he'd be better off somewhere else. He's just so talented that I'd hate to see it all go to waste b/c he has 3a issues which could potentially, I'm not saying definitely, be corrected with a fresh outlook and different training regime or something. Everything else is there already, but the difference btwn being someone who won't even get a GP assignment to one who has the potential of being a world medal contender, is his lack of a 3a and quad, and he said he won't even start working on a quad until he gets his 3a solid, and it isn't yet, so I just worry about him constantly trying to play catch up. And his PCS could easily and deservedly be higher than they are but I think judges are holding him back because of his limited tech, which is annoying but it seems to happen a lot.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Jason Brown's exhibition performance in Istanbul yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoknCi5VkFc
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Has Kori ever coached a top international competitor on the senior level though? She's a wonderful coach, I just can't help but wonder if Jason's "outgrown" her in a sense and she just can't offer much more to him, in which case he'd be better off somewhere else. He's just so talented that I'd hate to see it all go to waste b/c he has 3a issues which could potentially, I'm not saying definitely, be corrected with a fresh outlook and different training regime or something. Everything else is there already, but the difference btwn being someone who won't even get a GP assignment to one who has the potential of being a world medal contender, is his lack of a 3a and quad, and he said he won't even start working on a quad until he gets his 3a solid, and it isn't yet, so I just worry about him constantly trying to play catch up. And his PCS could easily and deservedly be higher than they are but I think judges are holding him back because of his limited tech, which is annoying but it seems to happen a lot.

I don't think leaving Kori is the answer, nor is it likely to happen. Kori and Jason are very close. Also, when you say "has she ever had a top competitor', one has to start somewhere don't they? One can only work with the talent they have, and Jason was her first very talented skater, and thus her first to have moderate success. It's not like all great coaches just start with championship skaters; they must have their first great skater at some point. Kori also coaches junior medal contender Jordan Moeller, whom from what I hear, has been landing both triple triple combos and 3As.

Jason also has worked with Rafael and other jump coaches on his jumps, so I think given the right amount of time he will get that axel consistent. As for the quad, I don't think one has to have a consistent axel to do a quad, though it helps. AFAIK he works on quads, and sometimes I know skaters can get a sal or a toe before a double axel, perhaps it can work the same with quads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jason Brown's exhibition performance in Istanbul yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoknCi5VkFc
    Lovely! I do love his "Drop in the Ocean". I think this is a much more mature presentation of it. I don't know if it's just that dark blue shirt but he does look bigger in the chest now.

And thankyou to whoever recorded it for zooming in on his happy little face at the end!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    I don't think leaving Kori is the answer, nor is it likely to happen. Kori and Jason are very close. Also, when you say "has she ever had a top competitor', one has to start somewhere don't they? One can only work with the talent they have, and Jason was her first very talented skater, and thus her first to have moderate success. It's not like all great coaches just start with championship skaters; they must have their first great skater at some point. Kori also coaches junior medal contender Jordan Moeller, whom from what I hear, has been landing both triple triple combos and 3As.

Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    Jason also has worked with Rafael and other jump coaches on his jumps, so I think given the right amount of time he will get that axel consistent. As for the quad, I don't think one has to have a consistent axel to do a quad, though it helps. AFAIK he works on quads, and sometimes I know skaters can get a sal or a toe before a double axel, perhaps it can work the same with quads.
    I remember reading somewhere that very occasionally he'll try one in the harness, but it's not a focus for him yet. Fair enough. But he has a nice triple toe so I think the quad will be fine. I would even suspect the quad flip could be a prospect for him.

He's so close. Ridiculously close. I can't wait to see him land it properly!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Two photos tweeted by Jason Brown's Team USA teammates from Istanbul:

Ice dancer Kaitlin Hawayek: "Twitterless JLB squared!!!" (with Jean-Luc Baker - ETA I guess this means Jason's middle name begins with an L?)

Nina Jiang: "Everyone needs some Jason Brown"

ETA: Jason Brown Reflects on Experience at 2012 JGP Turkey: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...12-jgp-turkey/ (I've also cross-posted this link in the JGP Istanbul thread in Kiss and Cry)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-25-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Two photos tweeted by Jason Brown's Team USA teammates from Istanbul:

Ice dancer Kaitlin Hawayek: "Twitterless JLB squared!!!" (with Jean-Luc Baker)

Nina Jiang: "Everyone needs some Jason Brown"

ETA: Jason Brown Reflects on Experience at 2012 JGP Turkey: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...12-jgp-turkey/
    Nice pics! I see Jason was keen to lay all the blame for shopping in Courchevel at Kori's feet, but he seems to have indulged himself

And Nina is right, of course, everyone needs some Jason!

Love the blog! He always seems so excited - I always get that vibe from his interviews/articles. The massage place they went to sounds heavenly and the rink sounds amazing!

And nice to see that more of his family made the trip to Turkey! It's nice to see his Aunt Gayle's name popping up again - she was the one Jason skated for at Skate for Hope in 2008.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "Five favorite things with Joshua Farris": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Good luck to him this week in Bled, Slovenia!

Jason Brown will perform in the "Evening with Champions" Jimmy Fund benefit show at Harvard this weekend - link to the event thread in GSD (where reports, photos, etc. will be posted): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84657

ETA link to an article I posted in GSD in which Kori Ade and other U.S. coaches are quoted re. how they help their skaters deal with competition nerves: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85084
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-25-2012 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sylvia again."

You are laden with goodies today Sylvia! Thankyou!

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Sylvia again."
    I have received that message many times!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Joshua Farris set a new ISU season Best SP score of 74.35 (up from his 72.30 in Lake Placid) today in Bled, Slovenia and is in 1st place by over 8 points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0Aits6Eo0

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Joshua Farris set a new ISU season Best SP score of 74.35 (up from his 72.30 in Lake Placid) today in Bled, Slovenia and is in 1st place by over 8 points: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0Aits6Eo0
    He's fast becoming one of my favorite skaters ever! I'm seeing so much influence from Jeremy Abbott and Stephane Lambiel in terms of his style of movement. Thanks for posting!

vCash
    Here's his FS from Slovenia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec0vwjBlQnE

Not quite clean and not quite as good as that amazing performance in Lake Placid, but still a good skate. He fought back well from that fall - very surprising that fall, maybe even for him! Shame he popped the quad to a triple, but he didn't need it in the end.

Ouch for his poor hand though.

So now Josh and Jason are both qualified (as the top two seeds, too, at the moment!) for the Junior Grand Prix Final (along with Boyang Jin). Josh is in tremendous form and Jason is getting better and better with each outing. But it's a long way til December.

vCash
    You could tell Josh fought through that long program, whereas in Lake Placid everything seemed to come very easily. It's okay though, he still won - by 25 points! - and this performance actually appeases my fears in some ways about him peaking too early in the season. This is a good building block, he had stiff competition at this event, he delivered, won, but still has room to improve. Landing the second 3a in combination late in the program was gutsy and impressive, and further, I think this skate should leave him hungry and anxious to improve, he was great, but his fans know and he obviously know he is capable of even better.

Excited to see Josh and Jason in December and see how things are looking then! That being said, still very impressed by Farris, he's improved a lot since last season, not only technically and in terms of consistency, but he seems to be more level-headed, less emotional, and a very good competitor now which is great to see and will serve him well as he moves on in his skating career.

vCash
    Put this link here as well:

Very entertaining program by Jason Brown's "You Can't Touch This" at An Evening with Champions benefit show.
    (Thanks you, Marni!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4FNDys1Tk&feature=plcp

vCash
    You could tell Josh fought through that long program, whereas in Lake Placid everything seemed to come very easily. It's okay though, he still won - by 25 points! - and this performance actually appeases my fears in some ways about him peaking too early in the season. This is a good building block, he had stiff competition at this event, he delivered, won, but still has room to improve. Landing the second 3a in combination late in the program was gutsy and impressive, and further, I think this skate should leave him hungry and anxious to improve, he was great, but his fans know and he obviously know he is capable of even better.

Excited to see Josh and Jason in December and see how things are looking then! That being said, still very impressed by Farris, he's improved a lot since last season, not only technically and in terms of consistency, but he seems to be more level-headed, less emotional, and a very good competitor now which is great to see and will serve him well as he moves on in his skating career.
    When I first glanced at the protocols and saw the -1 deduction, I assumed he fell on the 4t. Glad to see he didn't try it and potentially fall again. He doesn't need to have his confidence rattled with that jump

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Put this link here as well:

Very entertaining program by Jason Brown's "You Can't Touch This" at An Evening with Champions benefit show.
    (Thanks you, Marni!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE4FNDys1Tk&feature=plcp

OH MY GOD. I think that was the only thing I could say or think the first time I watched this!

He is truly amazing! He gets so into it and draws you into it so well. Also, DANCE JASON DANCE!

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast