Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I have to agree that Farris needs to focus on the jumps to be competitive among US men. His skating skills and interpretation/expression are still a way behind Brown, even though he's made substantial improvement in the past couple of years.
    Well, I suppose the way to look at that is that Jason developed the skating skills/expression side of things because he needed them to make up for the jumps he didn't have, whereas Joshua always had those jumps, so didn't always need as much of the ss/expression. Now the tables have turned slightly; Jason has both the jumps (bar the quad, which he may have, but we haven't seen it yet) and the expression/ss, whereas Josh is now free to chase the ss/expression.

I still marvel over the astonishing progress Josh has made on the second mark over the last two-three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I want Jason Brown to go to the Olympics so badly I can hardly stand it. His skating is absolutely stunning and I LOVE his FS this year.
    I have so many people I want so much to go to the Olympics and not enough places for all of them

At least the good part about Jason is, with his solid skating skills and the fact that he's not yet been injured, he is a very strong contender to go all the way to 2018.

vCash
    Aaand the Schindler's List: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJeT_6YP2Wg

vCash
    I was thinking about Joshua Farris and why he comes across as such a safe skater (he was the only US man not to go for a quad in the FS this past weekend), and duh imho it's because he's had to be safe his entire life! And by that I mean his potentially life-threatening milk allergy, which causes him to literally eat out of a suitcase when he goes to competitions. If he even touches someone that has had milk or touched milk it can send him into asphyxiation and death. He's already had to go visit the hospital at least once during this past year at a competition because of his milk allergy. Anyhow, so now I can totally understand why he comes across as such a safe skater. YET I still love him and his skating and am proud he's from my hometown!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOSH, MAKE THE OLYMPIC TEAM!!!

vCash
    I think he planned on a quad toe, but only did a triple. Looking at protocols, he planned a quad toe-triple toe, and a quad-sal as the first two jumping passes. Not sure if anyone who watched men's practices saw if he was doing them in warmups?

Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I was thinking about Joshua Farris and why he comes across as such a safe skater (he was the only US man not to go for a quad in the FS this past weekend), and duh imho it's because he's had to be safe his entire life! And by that I mean his potentially life-threatening milk allergy, which causes him to literally eat out of a suitcase when he goes to competitions. If he even touches someone that has had milk or touched milk it can send him into asphyxiation and death. He's already had to go visit the hospital at least once during this past year at a competition because of his milk allergy. Anyhow, so now I can totally understand why he comes across as such a safe skater. YET I still love him and his skating and am proud he's from my hometown!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOSH, MAKE THE OLYMPIC TEAM!!!

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SidelineSkater View Post
    I think he planned on a quad toe, but only did a triple. Looking at protocols, he planned a quad toe-triple toe, and a quad-sal as the first two jumping passes. Not sure if anyone who watched men's practices saw if he was doing them in warmups?
    I only saw the twenty-minute SP warmup and he didn't complete any quads cleanly there.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laire View Post
    Aaand the Schindler's List: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJeT_6YP2Wg
    This is heartbreakingly hauntingly beautiful. I love this. It's an absolutely gorgeous program and he does it so well. He is really feeling that music. Every step and movement - especially in that slow haunting second half - just fits so perfectly. If he does this clean, he may end up with the opposite of the standing ovation - that moment where the audience is too full of emotion to make a noise.

Yeah, the jumps and spins weren't there, but when they are...oh, watch out. This is an Olympic program.

As a side note, Josh said afterwards that he's been struggling with the quads lately, so it's no real surprise that they were triples in the FS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    I only saw the twenty-minute SP warmup and he didn't complete any quads cleanly there.
    And he said leading up to this event his quad was "the worst it's ever been" (and he's been landing 4t - in practices at least - since he was 15 or 16), and that he hadn't been training that well or working super hard in practice, which combined with his focus on the music, liking led to the disappointing result. I knew he was working on 4s, but I'm surprised it's planned in the program already...when he mentioned 1 or 2 quads in the FS, I assumed he was going to have an optional plan where, if he lands the first 4t, he tries a second, and if he falls on the first one, he doesn't attempt the jump again (kind of like what Ricky Dornbush did last season). But I guess if he was struggling with the 4t then maybe they changed the plan. His 3s does seem really easy for him so I don't doubt he can do a 4s, but it's very ambitious to try it in the program already! But maybe his layout will change by the GPs, who knows.

Anyways, it sounds like Josh was pretty upset with the outcome of SLC so I expect him to buckle down and really focus on his training in the next month or so before Skate Canada and show improved performances there. He was hardly the only skater at SLC to show some early season rust (pretty much all of the GP skaters did). Also, the 4t in the SP was a pretty good effort given how his quad was not working in practices or even in training for a couple weeks prior, shows guts. GOOOO Josh! Try and make a run at the Olympic Team and give it your all...if he doesn't make it, no big deal, debut year and there's always 2018 (and even 2024 as he'd be barely 28 then, so the same age as Abbott and Joubert now, and younger than Plushenko).

vCash
    Cross-posted from the Nobu Oda thread:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    Last edited by aemeraldrainc; 09-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.

vCash
    The same photo linked above was tweeted by Jason : https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/sta...315969/photo/1

Jason also tweeted this montage of photos earlier today:
    In Oberstdorf! Such a beautiful city Can't wait to explore! Practice ice begins today! #NebelhornTrophy http://pic.twitter.com/IdGv4BNbbG
    Practice photo via Absolute Skating: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5347647&type=1
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    All I can say is that Nobu must be really tiny if Jason is taller than him!

Can't wait for Jason's Senior debut!

vCash
    I still have a hard time believing Oda is a dad, he looks about 15...and he is tiny, like 5'4" I think. I hope Oda remembers how to count at this event, it will make the showdown between him and Jason more interesting. The rest of the men's field isn't that exciting so I'll be looking forward to seeing how these two stack up against each other at this early point in the season (unfortunately, with the state of Japanese and American mens' skating being what it is, they could both be fabulous here and for the rest of the season for that matter, and still both wind up off the Olympic team).

vCash
    Much as I love Jason I just can't see him beating Nobu at this event. Not if Nobu goes mostly clean. Jason just won't pull the PCS as a maiden Senior. (Of course, I will always hope to be pleasantly surprised!)

vCash
    Jason and Nobu have both been inconsistent in the past, the outcome of the situation, or more likely, how close it is, will come down to which Jason and which Nobu show up...

vCash
    Well, edgy sexy Jason turned up in Nebelhorn tonight! 79.41 and in 2nd place (behind Oda, who had Mighty Oda show up for him!).

Great 3A, 3F-yikes-3T, and tano 3Lz. Awesome spins and good footwork as always. Costume was...well, I'm not sure I like it yet. It does make him look older.

vCash
    Watched on IN, Jason was great, and I was thrilled to see him land the 3a cleanly with +GOE! I was worried because this summer he kept 2-footing his 3a attempts, which often lends itself to URs and deductions, but this one was quite nice. Great early season score!

vCash
    Jason is the second skater in the last group of men tonight! (Right before Brendan. Very convenient gentlemen, thankyou.)

vCash
    Congrats to Jason for his silver medal at Nebelhorn Trophy! So awesome to see him pull out a nice 3A-3T (along with the rest of the choreography, spins, et al )

Here's his FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbqeEphfAw

vCash
    Photos of Jason at Nebelhorn via Getty Images: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...013+Oberstdorf
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Photos of Jason at Nebelhorn via Getty Images: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Se...013+Oberstdorf
    Weird -- Jeremy and Jason get bouquets with orange and yellow flowers, Nobunari gets pink and white. Was someone color blind? (I don't remember ever seeing the gold medalist get different flowers than the other medalists at an international skating event.)

vCash
    Jason had a great senior debut at Nebelhorn! I wonder if taking out the quad attempt is just temporary though, because I do feel it's keeping his PCS back a bit. 75 is certainly very commendable, but I think Jason could deservedly push or exceed 80 points in PCS, and tend to think if he starts going for the quad, putting one of the 3a in the bonus (and can land both of them cleanly, the one in combo today was quite nice, but the other wasn't even that close), the judges might be a little more generous with his PCS. And looking at the protocols, considering the judges went so GOE crazy with Oda's jumps, I don't see why Jason's spins didn't get more +2s and +3s, I was shocked to see a lot of the judges only giving him +1s for those fast, centered, crazy flexible spins! His spins definitely deserve more than +1s!

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast