Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnskater View Post
    I saw the Sunday show in Denver at South Suburban Ice Arena. Josh looked and skated great. His technique is so pure and beautiful. Skated to a pop ballad in jeans and t-shirt. He is so handsome....and I agree with those who think he is even more handsome with longer hair. Hope he grows it again. I am so used to seeing him do classical music. This choice of music done very effectively proves he already has versatility at a young age. His blades are silent on the ice and his stroking is beautiful and powerful. Thought I saw a triple flip rotated great. On opposite end of rink and a bit dark, so I wasn't sure if flip or toe. His triple loop was off axis so a bit of a step out. Gracie also skated in the show. Her power for a lady skater is mind blowing. Both were wonderful.
    Nice to hear they both skated so well! Bodes well for this time of the year! Excited for next season already!

And as for Gracie seeming older, I do agree, however, Josh is only 7 months older than her anyhow, and they are the same year in school, so at that age, it's pretty typical for girls to be more mature and confident/put together so to speak, whereas for guys it sometimes takes a little longer and they stay in that shy awkward stage throughout highschool. Some of it is girls maturing physically at a younger age, but I also feel like there are more expectations for young girls these days to act grownup as teenagers, idk. Anyways I think it's cute Josh is shy and I think it's speaks better of his character than if he was really cocky and arrogant (which, arguably, he has reason to be - yet you get no sense of his accomplishments hearing him speak). I'm really hoping at least one of his programs next season is in a new vein and not classical just to see a different side of him as a skater, I feel there is more complexity to him as an artist and person than it maybe appears on the surface. Fingers crossed.

vCash
    Fan video of Josh Farris' Showtime on Ice performance to "When I Was Your Man" (Bruno Mars): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud5e-hJENew
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Fan video of Josh Farris' Showtime on Ice performance to "When I Was Your Man" (Bruno Mars): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud5e-hJENew
    Thankyou so much, Sylvia!

(Oh Josh. Again with the angsty ballads.)

vCash
    Josh is really being packaged at Jeremy Abbott 2.0 with these exhibition pieces. He pulls off the role well but doesn't he get tired of classical programs and new age sensitive man exhibition pieces ever? (and black t-shirts? ). I am sure he has more artistic range in him than what we've seen from him these past few years...hopefully he can find a choreographer who can bring it out of him. Here's hoping.

That being said. It was a very nice program. Loved the spread eagles.

vCash
    Well, I must say, I'd rather see him packaged as Jeremy Abbott 2.0 than Evan Lysacek 2.0 which was in danger of happening for a while there. At least Jeremy's skating is nice to watch sometimes.

Of course, my ultimate preference is to see him packaged as Joshua Farris 1.0...

And the spreadeagles are very lovely - he also had one in the "Ain't No Sunshine" ex that went outside-inside the full length of the rink. Hope we're going to see that this season.

vCash
    Let's hope that Josh takes more after Evan more then Jeremy when it comes to competing.

vCash
    Meanwhile, here's an article about Joshua on The Denver Post's website. Highlights:

Could America's next male figure skating star be living in Colorado Springs? Joshua Farris is 18 years old and is on a steady upward arc that may land atop the Olympic rings some day.

"He's kind of like the big stars performing who have that 'It' factor," said Damon Allen, who coaches Farris along with Christy Krall. "He has that 'It.' "

He definitely has that Up.

He has won at every level he's competed. He won national titles in juvenile in 2006, intermediate title in 2008 and novice in 2009. In juniors, he won bronze in 2011, silver in 2012 and then, in March in Milan, Italy, he won gold.

What put him on the Olympics' watch list happened about a month earlier. That's when he took fourth at senior nationals in Omaha, one spot out of the senior world championships in London, Ontario.

Need another hook besides medals? How about an 18-year-old who has been home schooled all his life and is so lactose intolerant a possible salad dressing mix-up the day before the 2011 senior nationals in Greensboro, N.C., sent him to the emergency room at 3 a.m?
    And it appears to be "admit-I-was-a-bad-kid" month:

For years, Farris was more known for whining than winning.

"I used to have the worst attitude on the ice," he said. "I used to kick the ice. I used to throw a fit. Think of it. You name it. That's what I did."

At the 2010 Grand Prix junior final in Beijing, he fell during his warm-up and slapped and kicked the ice so hard every face in the crowd stared at him. In 2011 he switched coaches to Allen and Krall, and they rode him like stern parents.

"The biggest change is his maturity," Allen said. "He's taking ownership of his training."
    Even that [bringing his own food overseas] isn't foolproof. At this year's junior Grand Prix final in Sochi, Russia, one of his soups had a milk product he didn't see on the label.

"I only took two bites, so it wasn't too bad. But I did have to take two Benadryl," he said. "I don't remember my performance. That's how drugged up I was." He finished second. "It" was in the same arena where next year's Olympics will be held.

vCash
    Thanks for posting! I don't know how I missed this article when I found a similar but shorter Gracie Gold article in the Denver Post about her "Showtime on Ice" guest appearance.

ETA: I'll cross-post this article link in the U.S. Men's news thread in GSD since it focuses mainly on his accomplishments this season. Here's the link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3914502
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-01-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I don't think Josh is lactose intolerant, I'm pretty sure he has an anaphylactic allergy to milk. Lactose intolerance is not that big of a deal, you have dairy and it makes you gassy and/or gives you a stomach ache, and if you take a lactaid pill before hand you can still eat food with lactose and be just fine. I've read articles where it said Josh's throat will close up if he has dairy and if he had a small cup of milk and didn't get treatment for it he would die. That sounds like the kind of allergy my little sister has - anaphylactic milk allergy, she gets annoyed when people say she's lactose intolerant because it does NOT indicate anywhere close to the severity of the condition which can lead to people not being careful enough when eating foods with dairy around her. So I think the article made a mistake, unless that actually is Joshua's condition, but I doubt lactose intolerance would send one to the ER, or if it did it would likely be for loose stools, not hives, puffiness, and a scratchy throat.

vCash
    Jason Brown will perform in a benefit show organized by his training mate, Jordan Moeller, in the Chicago area on May 25 - link to the thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...Jordan-Moeller

Both Joshua Farris and Jason Brown performed in the Athletes Advisory Committee (AAC) Gala show in Colorado Springs on May 4. Brown reprised his MC Hammer exhibition number. Relevant article excerpt (link is posted in the GSD thread with photos about the show: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3922067)
    At one point, [emcee Scott] Hamilton made Josh Farris blush with his enthusiastic praise. Farris then went out and skated a stunning program, which he choreographed, to Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man."

The spotlight caught two girls in the audience fanning themselves when Farris stopped in front of their table and gave them a smoldering look ŗ la Justin Bieber.

"This show was so much fun," Farris said later. "It was great to see everybody that I haven't seen in a long time. Doing a show with Scott Hamilton being the MC was so cool -- even though my interview wasn't so great before my program! In all seriousness, the show was definitely one of my favorites."
    ETA baby news at the end of the same article:
    Congratulations to Brown and Moeller's coach, Kori Ade, who gave birth to her second daughter, Kaia Alexandra Johnston, on April 27.

"We were back at the rink the next Thursday," Ade said. "Get me a bumper sticker that says 'I love ice skating' when I get my soccer mom minivan. I have a great support system."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-14-2013 at 05:22 PM.

vCash
    Congratulations to Kori and her husband on another sweet little girl!

It sounds like the AAC Gala was lots of fun. I'd heard about the fanning girls thing via an exchange on Twitter:

@DrewMeekins: @joshDfarris gorgeous program! Wow! Several girls passed out. Seriously.
    @USFigureSkating: “@Drew_Meekins: We just got word that everyone is okay.

A shame there don't seem to be any videos from the AAC Gala. I'd like to see a HQ video of Josh's "If I Was Your Man" and of course, Jason's "Can't Touch This" is ALWAYS good!

vCash
    Re-posting from Dr. George Rossano's Governing Council blog - this excerpt was posted in the GC thread in GSD:
    The AAC has a fundraiser each year, and this year it was a dinner and show at the World Arena. The show was hosted by Scott Hamilton. About 30 tables were set around the edge of the ice for dinner with the center used for exhibitions. Hamilton was in great form and the skating was excellent. The show was videotaped and may end up on IceNetwork, or elsewhere -- TBD. If it end up being broadcast fans should not miss it.

vCash
    New article on Coach Kori Ade's move to Colorado with quotes about and by Jason (ETA: link and excerpt are cross-posted in a new thread in GSD): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ard-s-comeback
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-15-2013 at 07:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    New article on Coach Kori Ade's move to Colorado with quotes about and by Jason (ETA: link and excerpt are cross-posted in a new thread in GSD): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ard-s-comeback
    Kori is a tease:

"He's [Rohene] got to be one of the most brilliant choreographers I've ever seen. His long for Jason is unbelievable."
    *taps foot impatiently*

Is it June 1 yet?

vCash
    What summer competitions is Jason attending???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    What summer competitions is Jason attending???
    Haven't heard of any yet, but the last few seasons he's competed at Glacier Falls. Last year he also did a very small comp up in Connecticut (I think) that we didn't get any results for weeks and never had video of.

Meanwhile, a very handsome lineup at Universal Sports studios...

. @MaxTAaron @RyanSBradley @joshDfarris visit the @universalsports studios in Denver
    https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/...21933118001152

Pic of suitMax, coatJosh and casualRyan

vCash
    In CT???? And I didn't know about it :

I would have gone, had I know.

vCash
    Jason competed in Wisconsin last June, not CT.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Josh is so good looking! *imagines what another 4 years will produce*

vCash
    Whew. I didn't think I was as out of it as to miss Jason competing next door

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast