Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

vCash
    You could get a shirt that reads

GO FARRIS!
    : Just Joshing :

vCash
    The Farris Wheel.

vCash
    Green Joshi? Like Green Yoshi from Mario Kart, Josh does like video games and he's young and his skating is organic so the green fits too

vCash
    Green is bad luck in skating. Did you see this bit from IN:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

As we already mentioned, Mark Mitchell, who inspired our "Mitchell points" system for coach fashion, says he's really into color this year.

"Except for green!" he said. "You know my thing about green, right? I have nothing against the color in general, but I don't wear it at skating competitions. It's bad luck."

He grabbed his blazer and held it open and pointed to the lining.

"I bought this in Paris and I thought, 'This will be perfect for Christina [Gao]'s short,'" he said.

"Then I took it home and I realized the lining was green. So I took it to the tailor and asked them to replace the lining. They looked at me like I was crazy and said, 'What color?' and I said, 'Anything but green.'"

We've heard from several costume designers that lots of coaches share Mitchell's superstition about the color green. You occasionally see a skater wearing a green costume, but it's rare.
    Don't jinx Josh with Green

vCash
    The always entertaining and informative blogger Jason's first installment from Junior Worlds in Milan! Re-posting from the Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

@joshDfarris tweeted today:
    "Awesome first day in Milan!! Going in to the city tomorrow, can't wait!"
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-25-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia!

vCash
    I always love Jason's blogs. They're so happy and excited. Plus, he obviously loves his food...some of his descriptions were mouthwatering. (And made me think: poor Josh! Suitcase full of food again!)

Also, I don't know how many people picked it up, but congratulations to Kori who is pregnant again!

vCash
    My sister has an anaphylactic allergy to dairy (and eggs, and nuts, and some other things too) and Italian food is hard because she really can't eat most of it, all that cheese on most everything, sure it's the same deal for Josh but maybe he can find some pasta dishes with tomato or oil based sauces that are still yummy cheese free. No gelato for him though . On the upside, as hard as nutrition must be for him, it probably makes it easier to stay healthy and trim, being allergic to so much fattening and junky foods! I know my little sister finds that, well except she loves bacon.

Good luck to the boys this week. Maybe the Americans can go 1-2-3, doesn't seem out of the realms of possibility at this point, really. They are all so good!

vCash
    I hope Ice Network is paying Jason Brown for his blogs. They are intelligent, charming, and full of joy, and always presents the US team in a warm and enthusiastic light. He shows genuine interest in people and places; every blog is a mini-news report on how everyone else is doing with occasional journalistic "interviews" with teammates.

A few years ago when I first heard of Brown, he was quoted saying he is "almost always happy." His personality totally comes through in his writing. What a lovely young man.

I think USFS should put him in front of every media outlet and make him into the next Michelle Kwan, ie, ambassador to the nonskating world. Pronto.

vCash
    Damon Allen speaks well of his pupil in this Junior Worlds men/pairs preview article (cross-posting link in the Jr. Worlds forum in K&C and the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    "Josh finally had his real senior national debut that he's wanted for so long," Allen said. "Going into Omaha, he took a more mature approach, and the everyday work paid off. He was ecstatic to put out the programs that he did.

"He has become a young man. He's taking a far more mature approach to competition. We're helping him deal with issues as they arise, and we've given him more responsibilities when it comes to his training plan. He has more ownership of his success. We expect great things from him."

In Milan, Farris will do a second triple Lutz in his free skate, in place of one of the triple flips he did in Omaha. He plans a quad toe as the second element in the program, a jump he fell on at the U.S. championships but landed at JGP Lake Placid early this season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Jason's Wednesday blog is up and there's also an accompanying gallery of his photos on IN.

Jason is scheduled to skate his SP on Thursday morning at 9:55 am Eastern time, followed by an ice make, then Joshua at 10:23 am Eastern. If you don't have access to the 2013 Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry, there's an Internet viewing options thread in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Junior-Worlds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Jason is scheduled to skate his SP on Thursday morning at 9:55 am Eastern time, followed by an ice make, then Joshua at 10:23 am Eastern. If you don't have access to the 2013 Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry, there's an Internet viewing options thread in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Junior-Worlds
    Cheers, Sylvia!

Jason has also updated his blog - and is still excited for his food.

vCash
    I'm enjoying Jason's blog so much!
    All the best to both Jason and Joshua tomorrow.

vCash
    Good luck guys! And too Shotaro Omori too! Glad Jason is enjoying the food, he looks so skinny in those icenetwork pictures, he could benefit from some more big Italian dinners (though perhaps he may have just grown taller). Really hoping the US guys can bring it!

vCash
    Good luck to these two young men. I think they will both podium.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Can't wait for the short programs!

Josh and Jason in a Wednesday backstage photo: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=42047226 (picture 12). Once again, confusion about their relative heights...I can't see if Josh is wearing his skates, but suddenly they seem much closer together in height than they were at the JGPF. Which might explain Jason's apparent thin-ness if he has grown again.

vCash
    After the short programs!

1st - Joshua! Stunning 3A, lovely 3Lz-3T, 3F but stayed upright no hands, great spins, great footwork, 75.85!

3rd - Jason! Fantastic 3A, 3Lz-three turn-2T (ran out of room), pretty 3F, two great spins and one a bit hairy, great footwork, 70.06!

And the guy between?

Shotoro Omori! Nice 3A, 3Lz-3T and a bit of an 3F, good spins, good footwork, 70.82!

A Team USA sweep of the small medals!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Can't wait for the short programs!

Josh and Jason in a Wednesday backstage photo: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=42047226 (picture 12). Once again, confusion about their relative heights...I can't see if Josh is wearing his skates, but suddenly they seem much closer together in height than they were at the JGPF. Which might explain Jason's apparent thin-ness if he has grown again.
    Icenetwork has a picture of all 3 US guys standing side by side with their small medals. Omori is actually the tallest! Josh is about 2 inches taller than Jason, I think it's been that way for a while now. Josh looks tall because of his build but that really is not the case, and his big growthspurt was when he was about 15, earlier than Jason, since then he's maybe grown 2 or 3 inches gradually. My guess is Josh is about 5'9" and Jason about 5'7", the difference can seem a bit more or less depending on the state of Josh's hair and whether Jason cocks his head or not. Jason is definitely not tall, I think one just forgets how incredibly tiny he used to be. Josh is one of those skaters like Alissa or Christina who looks very tall in skates then in regular shoes you realize they are really not very tall at all...the only one who's info is obviously outdated is Omori who clearly is not 5'6" or 5'7" anymore.

vCash
    USFS tweeted this photo of the top 3 after the SP and before the small medals presentation: http://pic.twitter.com/ADjG8PhkHd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    USFS tweeted this photo of the top 3 after the SP and before the small medals presentation: http://pic.twitter.com/ADjG8PhkHd
    Wow what a great pic! Can't help but notice what nice skin and smiles our three guys have

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast