Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    You're delusional. You make it sound as if Farris is a Kevin Van Der Perren, all jumps and nothing else. The way I see it, he is just as talented in the non jump components of skating as Brown is. Brown is the one clearly at a disadvantage at the moment. Without a 3Axel or a quad, he's going nowhere fast as a senior skater, which is a real shame because I really like both Josh and Jason. The World and Olympic team selection committee would never name a male skater to the US team without those big jumps though; he really needs to get those together.
    Josh and Jason have been leap- frogging over each other's achievements for years. It's been fascinating to watch. They are both amazing skaters, amazing guys. Currently Josh has an advantage due to his much better jumping . I would not be surprised if Jason gets his 3A soon and catches up, or even acquires an advantage again due to his heavenly skating skills. I cannot, absolutely cannot decide whom I like better; I love both. I noticed Josh first; in 2009, I was watching JGP and started e-mailing Josh's SP to all of my skating friends, saying "Look at this! It's darn "Sing sing sing", but that boy knows how to listen to music, he has a chance to have it all!". Then in early season 2010 Sylvia posted a link to Jason's "Nutcracker", and I was instantly in love. These guys, they are rivals, but they are not an "easy contrast", not at all the way Johnny and Evan were. Both are artistic, both seem incredibly nice. At this point Jason has more SS, originality ( partially, no doubt, due to Rohene's guidance) and, overall, performance stability; Josh has more balance of skills ( those jumps are Heaven) and creativity ( choosing Bach for SP and choreographig himself? Wow), but is more volatile in competiton situations ( already he had high highs and the lows were... low). They both have strong "ice presence". Josh is more inward and intense. Jason is more overtly charismatic and open. I hope with all my heart they keep improving and pushing each other forward for years to come. It's Jason's time to play a catch- up now (at this very second, it might change at any time). I love that it is a joint "uber' thread, because I hope they both prosper.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Title-less
    vCash
    I watched Josh's LP numerous times already. His jumps were great, upper body great. Needs deeper edges though. Jason "edged" him out on that one, IMHO, and that's why Jason can do all that interesting stuff in his program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Like I said before, Josh has been doing those jumps for years, and he only became consistent with the 3a in competition last season really, and only landed his first 4t in competition last week, so considering Jason is almost 18 and has never even tried a 3a, let alone cleanly land and rotate one not to mention a quad, in international competition is a bit worrisome.
    Point of accuracy - Jason HAS attempted the 3A in competition, three times. Once in the SP at Glacier Falls last year, where he landed it but UR, and twice at Southport this year, where he landed but UR the one in the SP and fell off but was given full rotation credit for the one in the LP.

So he CAN do it. It's just a matter of when they throw it in in Internationals.

Intuition tells me we might see it in Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    Josh and Jason have been leap- frogging over each other's achievements for years. It's been fascinating to watch. They are both amazing skaters, amazing guys. Currently Josh has an advantage due to his much better jumping . I would not be surprised if Jason gets his 3A soon and catches up, or even acquires an advantage again due to his heavenly skating skills. I cannot, absolutely cannot decide whom I like better; I love both. I noticed Josh first; in 2009, I was watching JGP and started e-mailing Josh's SP to all of my skating friends, saying "Look at this! It's darn "Sing sing sing", but that boy knows how to listen to music, he has a chance to have it all!". Then in early season 2010 Sylvia posted a link to Jason's "Nutcracker", and I was instantly in love. These guys, they are rivals, but they are not an "easy contrast", not at all the way Johnny and Evan were. Both are artistic, both seem incredibly nice. At this point Jason has more SS, originality ( partially, no doubt, due to Rohene's guidance) and, overall, performance stability; Josh has more balance of skills ( those jumps are Heaven) and creativity ( choosing Bach for SP and choreographig himself? Wow), but is more volatile in competiton situations ( already he had high highs and the lows were... low). They both have strong "ice presence". Josh is more inward and intense. Jason is more overtly charismatic and open. I hope with all my heart they keep improving and pushing each other forward for years to come. It's Jason's time to play a catch- up now (at this very second, it might change at any time). I love that it is a joint "uber' thread, because I hope they both prosper.
    I was going to respond and then I thought that this sums up perfectly everything.

That's why this is a joint thread - because most of the fans I've met of one tend to like the other as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I watched Josh's LP numerous times already. His jumps were great, upper body great. Needs deeper edges though. Jason "edged" him out on that one, IMHO, and that's why Jason can do all that interesting stuff in his program.
    I probably found that pun funnier than it should be...

vCash
    I just wonder about how seriously Jason takes his skating. Not to say that he doesn't take it seriously, obviously anyone at this level does, I more mean I wonder if he will try to go to a prestigious college while continuing to skate in the years leading up to the 2018 Olympics. I know he goes to actual school as opposed to home/online school, and from his blog he seems really smart and intellectual, I've heard from others he's very serious about his academics, and it's just so hard to manage both. I mean, Rachael Flatt is doing it and Christina Gao as well this season, but it seems like you can maybe stay afloat Nationally while being a full time student at a prestigious college, but internationally, it's hard to get the amount of training time you need in to make a World or Olympic team. Or so it seems. Josh I know is home schooled, always has been, and skating seems to be his top priority, so I don't worry about this with him. Of course, if Jason gets into a place like Harvard, then by all means he should go, it just might make "making it" internationally as a senior even tougher.

vCash
    I just wonder about how seriously Jason takes his skating. Not to say that he doesn't take it seriously, obviously anyone at this level does, I more mean I wonder if he will try to go to a prestigious college while continuing to skate in the years leading up to the 2018 Olympics. I know he goes to actual school as opposed to home/online school, and from his blog he seems really smart and intellectual, I've heard from others he's very serious about his academics, and it's just so hard to manage both. I mean, Rachael Flatt is doing it and Christina Gao as well this season, but it seems like you can maybe stay afloat Nationally while being a full time student at a prestigious college, but internationally, it's hard to get the amount of training time you need in to make a World or Olympic team. Or so it seems. Josh I know is home schooled, always has been, and skating seems to be his top priority, so I don't worry about this with him. Of course, if Jason gets into a place like Harvard, then by all means he should go, it just might make "making it" internationally as a senior even tougher.
    I remember reading an article - although I'll be blowed if I can find it now - where he talked about doing his classes, and having finals the week before Nationals, and how his parents always place a lot of emphasis on his schoolwork.

I don't think he's ever really mentioned going to college, although surely he has to make that decision soon since he's a Senior.

I have a lot of respect for how Jason somehow keeps up good grades, skates at this high level - and apparently he plays the piano, too. I mean, how does he find the time? It's a wonder he's not burned out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I remember reading an article - although I'll be blowed if I can find it now - where he talked about doing his classes, and having finals the week before Nationals, and how his parents always place a lot of emphasis on his schoolwork.

I don't think he's ever really mentioned going to college, although surely he has to make that decision soon since he's a Senior.

I have a lot of respect for how Jason somehow keeps up good grades, skates at this high level - and apparently he plays the piano, too. I mean, how does he find the time? It's a wonder he's not burned out.
    Yeah, well I guess we will find out soon enough what he decides! The status of the 3a and how his results pan out this season might factor in to what he ultimately decides! Anyways an article on icenetwork says Josh wants to go to Junior Worlds again this season. So I wonder, is he not even aiming to go to senior worlds, even though competing at senior Nationals, he knows he'd be considered, and surely he's not oblivious to the fact that if he skates well, he should have a decent shot at making the team? I found it all a little interesting, but maybe he's just being modest, or doesn't want to put too much pressure on himself this early on, because he admits being nervous affected him negatively at Nationals last season and was less nervous and more relaxed at JW, where he skated really well.

vCash
    Yeah, well I guess we will find out soon enough what he decides! The status of the 3a and how his results pan out this season might factor in to what he ultimately decides! Anyways an article on icenetwork says Josh wants to go to Junior Worlds again this season. So I wonder, is he not even aiming to go to senior worlds, even though competing at senior Nationals, he knows he'd be considered, and surely he's not oblivious to the fact that if he skates well, he should have a decent shot at making the team? I found it all a little interesting, but maybe he's just being modest, or doesn't want to put too much pressure on himself this early on, because he admits being nervous affected him negatively at Nationals last season and was less nervous and more relaxed at JW, where he skated really well.
    I think Josh is ultimately being realistic, as well. The USFSA is probably going to um and ahh about it if Josh finishes, say, second or third. (Only the champion is guaranteed the Worlds spot.) He probably knows they may be reluctant to send him the year before the Olympics.

It may also be a pressure-deflection attempt as you say. He must know that many people (myself included amongst the guilty) are now predicting big amazing things for him at Nationals, so he's trying to play it down.

In the meantime, just when we thought 2008 pipsqueak Jason was adorable, Icenetwork did a "first day of school" article.

Kindergarten Jason is the most adorable thing ever
    . (Picture 4) (Also, pre-ponytail!)

I like how attached he seems to his big sister. He started skating because she did and in the article he says he was excited to start school because she was there. Awwwww.

vCash
    Jason is really cute with the short poofy blonde hair! I thought his hair had always been brown but guess not! Baby Adam Rippon is really adorable as well!

Anyways, yeah, idk. I think it's good Josh is being level headed about everything, but I still kind of wish he was competing on the senior GP this season instead, he's so ready for it...

vCash
    From everything I have seen and read about Jason he seems like an intelligent teenager that wants balance in his life. Once he graduates from high school, he may decide to skate full time. It is amazing what he has been able to accomplish while going to school. I give his parents much credit for making education a priority as well. Looking forward to his future in skating whenever the peak may be.

vCash
    Jason is really cute with the short poofy blonde hair! I thought his hair had always been brown but guess not! Baby Adam Rippon is really adorable as well!
    Actually, if you look at practice photos of Jason, I think it's always been blond, it's now just quite dark. He must use a lot of mousse and spray for competitions because in competition it's quite dark and straight whereas in practice photos it's much lighter and very wavy/curly.

Quote Originally Posted by babyskate View Post
    From everything I have seen and read about Jason he seems like an intelligent teenager that wants balance in his life. Once he graduates from high school, he may decide to skate full time. It is amazing what he has been able to accomplish while going to school. I give his parents much credit for making education a priority as well. Looking forward to his future in skating whenever the peak may be.
    I agree. I admire his determination and his ability to multi-task so much. He must be absolutely exhausted when he falls into bed at the end of the day, yet he turns around and does it all again the next day, seemingly with no complaints, always willingly.

His family seems very close knit. And I like his parents. It must take a lot of balls to say "School comes first over everything else even skating" when your son is the Junior Grand Prix Champion and recieving standing O's at Nationals.

vCash
    Haha, all excellent points.

And btw, Nathan Chen is competition for these two guys. He just scored 75.15 for his SP at JGP Austria...that's 3 points higher than Josh scored for his SP two weeks ago. Holy cow. But yeah the judges obviously like him and having seen the video the kid is amazing and deserves those kinds of marks. A JW with Jason, Josh, and Nathan could do some serious damage I think!

vCash
    Well, we just had the college discussion about Jason, now it's Josh's turn. Apparently he plans to graduate by "spring or early summer" and then take one or two classes at a community college.

Thanks to Sylvia for the article just posted in the US Men's Thread:

Farris seeks passion, finds gold

This is quite fascinating. It's like with every article/interview we get to peek just a little tiny bit more behind the door.

I like the nod towards Damon and Christy and "training smart". I love the comment about finding passion, also - and running through in front of the closet mirrors.

He seems very clever and very switched on in terms of skating and how it all works together. Josh is a guy who could probably become a pretty good coach/choreographer when he's done competing. He seems very keen to continually improve himself.

Anyone else notice that both Josh and Jason's LPs this year are on the theme of love?

vCash
    JASON WENT FOR THE TRIPLE AXEL IN THE SHORT PROGRAM IN TURKEY

It was two-footed but he stayed on his feet (very nicely too, I might add)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBgNYg0vUdM&feature=plcp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    JASON WENT FOR THE TRIPLE AXEL IN THE SHORT PROGRAM IN TURKEY

It was two-footed but he stayed on his feet (very nicely too, I might add)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBgNYg0vUdM&feature=plcp
    I think it was probably UR too, but yeah, I'm happy he just put it out there and he can use the judge feedback for the FS, and I hope, the JGP Final.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think it was probably UR too, but yeah, I'm happy he just put it out there and he can use the judge feedback for the FS, and I hope, the JGP Final.
    Checked the protocols and it was severely ur'd - <<. But, his position in the air was really nice and I'm happy he's going for it. Just keep at it until you get it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Checked the protocols and it was severely ur'd - <<. But, his position in the air was really nice and I'm happy he's going for it. Just keep at it until you get it!
    I thought it may have been UR too, but I was really shocked to see the downgrade. I didn't think it was that bad! But then this seems to be a repeat of the crazy strict tech panel from Courchevel/Lake Placid. At least there was no little (e) against his 3Lz this time!

I'm sure he'll nail it in the long!

I'm so excited to see him bring it at last!

vCash
    I'm relieved he tried it. Yes, it was downgraded and not clean but I don't care about that, all I care about is that he's going for it. Further, despite the downgrade and negative GOE, he still managed a decent score and is leading the competition, which is promising. Hopefully he gets full credit for the jump in the FS.

vCash
    I am so happy Jason tried the triple axel. I posted the link to his 2011 Senior National debut. This program made me a fan. I urge you to watch it all the way through as the last minute is incredible. I know great things are to come from this hugely talented young man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5d4knHCWuY

vCash
    I'm just worried that Jason is going to end up like Adam Rippon. Like Adam his other jumps are not really big either and ;ets face it big jumps are more impressive and catch the judges eyes.
    Last edited by Jammers; 09-22-2012 at 12:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I'm just worried that Jason is going to end up like Adam Rippon. Like Adam his other jumps are not really big either and ;ets face it big jumps are more impressive and catch the judges eyes.
    Actually I feel Jason's other jumps are all pretty good, especially his toe and flip. I see no reason why he couldn't attempt a quad on either of those jumps.

The 3A he attempted in the SP was pretty close, really. The air position was decent, he just didn't get his free leg out in time, and that will come. (Especially if he goes back to the bit of advice Josh gave him over the summer. ) I still think he was stiffed on the downgrade call.

I'll be interested to see if a) he attempts it again in the LP - he has a 5 point lead which is okay but not great if he falls; and b) how it looks there.

I think he gets nervous trying the jump and that can't be helped by everyone staring at him waiting for him to land it. It's just a hunch based on the body language going into it. He telegraphs the backward edge for a LOT longer on the 3A than the 2A.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast