Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    As per his twitter Josh is competing his new SP at the Vail Open this weekend so yay for a summer competition, finding out his new music, and hopefully this means no injury either! So excited!

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_QGp...source=message

Josh's new SP. I think it has the potential to be stunning! Nice 3a at the beginning, no clue what happened with the flip but I'm sure it was just a fluke. And he does look buffer through the upper body compared to before. With a little more speed and tweaking of the choreo I bet this could be a great program, definitely more mature!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_QGp...source=message

Josh's new SP. I think it has the potential to be stunning! Nice 3a at the beginning, no clue what happened with the flip but I'm sure it was just a fluke. And he does look buffer through the upper body compared to before. With a little more speed and tweaking of the choreo I bet this could be a great program, definitely more mature!
    I think it will be a nice program for him, but I thought his Clair de Lune was stunning and I was kind of hoping to see it for another season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I think it will be a nice program for him, but I thought his Clair de Lune was stunning and I was kind of hoping to see it for another season.
    I agree, but he performed Clair de Lune to near perfection a number of times in competition last season, and where he got the new FS mid-season and is keeping it for another season, I think it's good to see him push himself and try something new.

vCash
    Very nice, nice music selection too, keeping with a more classical theme.

Interesting step sequence, confused the crap out of me at first until I remembered the changes.

Was it just my eyes (or phone screen) or was he just wearing a black tshirt and pants with the gloves? Costume must still be in progress. Not a bad look anyway.

He did look a bit short of puff, though. Hope that's just a temporary state.

vCash
    Stunning music. I first heard this piece used in the vampire movie The Hunger with David Bowie back in the 80's. It's Suite #1 For Solo Cello In G Major (First Movement) - Johann Sebastian Bach if anyone wanted to know. Josh looks great.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Josh's black t-shirt outfit combined with his shorter hair and stronger physique keeps making me think I'm watching a teenage Brian Joubert skate...but with much better flexibility and spin positions! Lol . But from that video he looks a lot more grown up than last season, this is really embarrassing to say but I think he gets more handsome every time he skates. And most importantly, that music, program, and choreo are NOT Lysacek-esque AT ALL! So hopefully that will help convince viewers that Josh is his own skater with a distinct unique style and not a Lysacek clone. So glad JGP starts in 6 weeks, can't wait to see Josh, Jason, and Nathan!

vCash
    Totally charmed me on everything! Music, choreography, skating, wow. I've thought how a male skater would fit into Bach music and he just answered my prayer

vCash
    USFS bios are being updated for this season and Josh is now listed as one of his own choreographers! I wonder if this means he was responsible for most of the choreography in his new SP? If so I'm very impressed! That's so awesome he helps choreograph at such a young age...maybe he's found his post-competitive career!

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100802&mode=I

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I would liken Josh's skating to Abbott's much more so than Lysacek. When Evan was Josh's age, he skated like a robot, no emotion, no finesse, no flow, and Lysacek never became an artist on the ice. Farris is already much more mature than Evan in terms of presentation. I would never compare the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    USFS bios are being updated for this season and Josh is now listed as one of his own choreographers! I wonder if this means he was responsible for most of the choreography in his new SP? If so I'm very impressed! That's so awesome he helps choreograph at such a young age...maybe he's found his post-competitive career!

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100802&mode=I
    I notice they haven't changed his height though...I severely doubt he's 5'8".

As for the choreo thing, I remember reading in an article somewhere that Josh helped Damon choreo Clair de Lune, so it wouldn't surprise me if Josh helped with Bach too.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I would liken Josh's skating to Abbott's much more so than Lysacek. When Evan was Josh's age, he skated like a robot, no emotion, no finesse, no flow, and Lysacek never became an artist on the ice. Farris is already much more mature than Evan in terms of presentation. I would never compare the two.

I agree. Josh/Jeremy is a much closer comparison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I notice they haven't changed his height though...I severely doubt he's 5'8".

As for the choreo thing, I remember reading in an article somewhere that Josh helped Damon choreo Clair de Lune, so it wouldn't surprise me if Josh helped with Bach too.

I agree. Josh/Jeremy is a much closer comparison.
    I agree, as well.
    We'll have to see, of course, what direction Josh goes in the future.

Ironically, I wished for years for Jeremy to skate to Bach. Still do. I think Jeremy's purity of style would fit the music beautifully.
    All the more interesting to see Joshua going in that direction. The fact that there are no cuts and the music is for unaccompanied cello makes his task quite difficult, but all the more admirable. To make big impact he'll have to perfectly time his spins, time everything to a fraction of a second, which is so hard in competition. Wish him all the luck.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Didn't Jason say he's actually just over 5'6" though, even though he's listed as 5'7"? Josh could be 5'8" and like a half and just not be one to round up his height. In some pictures he just looks maybe 2 inches taller than Jason, plus his hair gives him a bit of a lift. I would have guessed he was more 5'9"-5'10" but 5'8"+ is possible, especially because a lot of other skaters probably round up their heights. His build also adds to the illusion of being taller, like compared to someone like Max Aaron, listed as 5'7", standing side by side they are probably similar in height, but Max has very short, stocky legs while Josh's are long and thin, plus Josh has a slight build anyways, which can give the illusion of being taller. Think about Christina Gao and Caroline Zhang, they are both listed as 5'5", but Christina looks wayy taller because she's thin and long limbed. Idk. Maybe his height will be updated later but I do think it's possible he's just being honest while other's are embellishing.

I think it's awesome he helps with the choreography, and that may have been why his Claire De Lune was so stunning and suited him so well last season, he knows his strengths and how to show them off. I am really excited about the new SP, it was rough around the edges in Vail, but give it a month or two and I think it could be gorgeous and rival Claire De Lune. Definitely give Josh props for selecting such a mature and difficult piece!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I agree that I would not compare Josh's skating to Evan's at all. But these two can be compared in terms of leg length.

Looking at Josh, I see some elements of his movement style as being somewhat similar to Johnny Weir's smooth elegance. I actually don't see a lot of Jeremy in Josh's skating. I think Jeremy has a very unique way of moving that doesn't really remind me of anyone else. If pressed, the closest skaters that come to mind are Ryan Jahnke and Matt Savoie, as somewhat similar to Jeremy in terms of their sensitivity to music and movement, as well as their creativity, intelligence and emotional depth (Ryan J often had trouble with his 3-axel but he continually worked hard at conquering that jump).

Looking at Jason Brown, I only see Jason Brown rockin' Rohene's fab choreo.

It's wonderful to see how much Josh is developing as an artist, which if he hadn't left Tom Z, I doubt would have happened in quite the same way. Case in point: I was looking at early Ryan Bradley clips and realized that Ryan B displayed much more elegance at age 16, than he ever did later in his career. I think if Ryan B had switched to another coach at around 17 or 18 who could have brought out more of his latent elegance and the artistry that went undeveloped in favor of Z's focus on jumps, Ryan B's career might have reached a higher plane a lot sooner.

ETA: Josh's programs last season (especially Clair de Lune) definitely remind me of the smooth elegant quality of Johnny Weir's skating. Josh's sp this season clearly contains moves reminiscent of (and likely inspired by) what Jeremy wrought last season with Muse Redemption.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-22-2012 at 04:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Which raises the question: why aren't other skaters flocking to Rohene for fab choreo? Could it be because very few skaters are able to do that kind of choreo, do you think?

vCash
    Josh reminds me of Robin Cousins, and Matt Savoie, more than Johnny, Evan, or Jeremy. But his style is unique too. It is amazing how long his legs are though, especially if he really just is a petite 5'8". I think an icenetwork article has even made the comparison to Robin Cousins before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Which raises the question: why aren't other skaters flocking to Rohene for fab choreo? ...
    I wonder how many people are aware that Rohene choreographs for Jason and/ or that Rohene himself is a fabulous skater who for one reason and another never made it in the competitive ranks. Surely the word is getting out by word-of-mouth, and with the recent IN feature on Rohene.

Could it be because very few skaters are able to do that kind of choreo, do you think?
    Yes, perhaps, kinda in the same way that very few skaters can handle the challenges imposed by Tom Dickson's choreo.

As a match made in heaven, could it be simply that Jason is an out of this world skater and rock-iteer-in-training, while Rohene is one madly gifted rock-it scientist?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-23-2012 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Spelling error

vCash
    I agree that I would not compare Josh's skating to Evan's at all. But these two can be compared in terms of leg length.

Looking at Josh, I see some elements of his movement style as being somewhat similar to Johnny Weir's smooth elegance. I actually don't see a lot of Jeremy in Josh's skating.
    One of the many reasons I don't like comparisons - they are subjective. Josh is Josh. But I would rather have him compared to Jeremy than Evan.

I've heard the Johnny comparison before too. Maybe we could start a contest and see how many different skaters we can compare Josh to

It's wonderful to see how much Josh is developing as an artist, which if he hadn't left Tom Z, I doubt would have happened in quite the same way.
    Agreed. The difference between even the 2010-2011 season (with Tom Z) and the 2011-2012 season (with Damon and Christy) is nothing short of astonishing.

Which raises the question: why aren't other skaters flocking to Rohene for fab choreo? Could it be because very few skaters are able to do that kind of choreo, do you think?
    I've wondered that myself, and I wonder how much Jason's personality has to do with it. Rohene makes fabulous choreography, yes, but it suits Jason down to the ground, and you can see he genuinely loves skating it. I can't imagine some of the other skaters doing so well with it - not because they're not good enough to skate it, but because their personality is just not suited to it.

It's hard to tell, because Rohene doesn't seem to choreograph for many skaters...he seems to enjoy challenges that are unusual, though. For example, Prince would have been the LAST thing on my mind when contemplating music for Jason.

I also wonder if it's Rohene's choice to only choreo for certain skaters. He still has his own professional career, after all, tours and shows.

I wonder how many people are aware that Rohene choreographs for Jason and/ or that Rohene himself is a fabulous skater who for one reason and another never made it in the competitive ranks. Surely the word is getting out by word-of-mouth, and with the recent IN feature on Rohene.

<snip>

As a match made it heaven, could it be simply that Jason is an out of this world skater and rock-iteer-in-training, while Rohene is one madly gifted rock-it scientist?
    Every season I get reminded that there's still so much more to learn about skating; I have to confess that I didn't know anything about Rohene until I became a fan of Jason's. I suspect that after this season - and especially once Jason starts getting about as an international Senior - Rohene may be in much more demand.

I don't think there's any doubt that Jason is an out-of-this-world skater, and I certainly think Rohene has a talent for bringing out the best in him.

vCash
    ITA there is definitely something special about how Rohene's choreo matches Jason's personality and enhances/ highlights Jason's unique movement style.

The IN feature on Rohene included mention of the fact that Rohene works on choreography with the skaters in the professional cruise shows that he has been touring with. Obviously his schedule is pretty demanding right now re his touring and working with Jason, and probably with other skaters at his home rink. Rohene certainly looks to have a bright future in professional shows, as well as in the ranks of up-and-coming young choreographers.

As for Josh, yes he too has his own unique qualities that seemingly were unleashed when he found new coaches. Josh seems to be soaking up inspiration and knowledge and opportunities like a sponge. I think he is still in the process of experimenting and finding his own identity/ personality on the ice.

Yes, comparisons are very subjective. I think that because Josh is going through a process of experimentation and finding himself on the ice, that may be why people are seeing him as reminiscent of various skaters. I don't think Josh is exactly like any other skater, but in his different programs/ choreo, some movements call to mind qualities of a few other skaters. Josh does have long legs in a similar body build way to Evan, Robin C, and even Sasha Abt, altho' Abt and Evan, and Robin are apparently taller than Josh overall. Outside of both having long legs, I don't really see Robin C's movement style in Josh's skating. And I definitely agree with others that there is nothing of Evan's mode of skating in the way Josh moves. Josh has much more style, expressiveness and artistic potential than Evan has exhibited on the ice, IMO.

vCash
    How many skaters have the skills to "rock Rohene's choreography?
    I'm just happy that Jason is one of them!

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast