Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

European Skaters At The 2014 Olympics

Let's face it the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver was awful for European skaters. Not one Gold medal. Just one Ice Dance Bronze & one Pairs Bronze & a Sliver in the Men's.
    In Turin it was Gold in the Pairs, Gold & Bronze in Ice Dance, Bronze in the ladies & Gold & Silver in the Men's.
    SLC was Gold in Pairs, Gold & Silver in the Men's, Gold, Silver & Bronze in Ice Dance & Silver in the Ladies.
    So what now for Sochi ?.
    Russian ladies have really improved since Vancouver & V/T look like a lock in for the pairs gold.
    But Ice Dance has been dominated by North America & European Men have had it tough without Plushenko.
    Yes, Europe have an advantage with it being in Russia (just like North American skaters in Vancouver).
    Will this be a good Olympics for Europe ?.
    This thread is for fan's of European skaters. From medal hope's to the lower ranked skaters.
    Anything you want to talk about.
    Will Elene Gedvanishvili be able to regain form ?.
    Will Plushenko get a medal ?.
    Will there be an Ice Dance medal for Europe ?.
    Who are your favourite European skaters ?.

vCash
    I so wish that Fernandez will medal in men. I just don´t think that given his current form it is very likely. Le sigh.
    And I am so sad that Finland has not any representatives in ladies. (((Korpi)))

vCash
    Last year in December, Fernandez had a few awful performances, but he was in when it counted. The year before he was in at the GP and out at Euros and Worlds. So there is hope
    In dance there is a medal, between Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV, Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT, Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE, Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE and Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV. Who will take that? The one who skate at best at that competition. They are quite on the same level now, maybe we will see som difference at Euros, but one month later all can happen.
    In ladies there will be a chanche for a european medal and we will see who brings it
    In pairs there is a great chanche to have both gold and silver in Europe. But I think the skaters have to pick in february, not to early

vCash
    My hope is that Fernandez is just trying to peak later in the season - Euros and Olys. I'm not going to jinx him by actively wishing anything, though.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Sigh...I wish Korpi had the opportunity to compete at the games. She certainly deserves it, the skating world misses her!

vCash
    I am hoping to see Tomas Verner at the Olympics with two clean skates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    I am hoping to see Tomas Verner at the Olympics with two clean skates.
    Same here. And the same goes for other skaters with a history of bombing at the Olympics.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    The ladies is a tough one. Yuna is odds on favourite to win but I love Asada, Kostner & Suzuki. Maybe as Asada has a silver from 4 years ago I would wish that Kostner & Suzuki win medals (So sad that in their last season they did not get to the GPF).
    Carolina has has such a tough time in her two Olympics, I really hope she gives two programs to be proud of.
    Is Korpi not going because she is injured or does she still have a chance to qualify ?. I too would love to see her in Sochi.
    Any lower ranked skaters others are looking forward to watching in Sochi ?.
    For me, it's Gedvanishvili, Glebova & Carron/Jones.

vCash
    The reason why Korpi cannot compete is that she suffered an injury last season, which meant that Finland had to sent other skaters to Worlds and Nebelhorn, and neither one finished high enough to earn a spot for Finland at the Olympics. Unless I have missed something, she will apparently be sufficiently recovered that she could have competed at the Olympics if Finland were allowed to send someone, so perhaps she will compete at Europeans and/or Worlds.

vCash
    Is it crazy to say European skaters are generally more artistic than North American ones? They are also more recognizable, have their own styles, each of them is different.

Here are my thoughts on the Europeans:
    in men:
    Javier Fernandez - he's perfectly capable of landing a full load of quads if he finds his form. Might medal.
    Michal Brezina and Florent Amodio - ok, I don't normally root for Amodio, but gotta give it to these guys that they are their own skaters, not copying anyone, they have certain styles, they're talented. Unfortunately enough, they seem to be out of form at the moment.
    Tomas Verner - I wanna scream when I think of his unfulfilled potential. He had all it takes to become a champion, somehow it all got lost in the way. Hope he gets it back.
    Brian Joubert - he's like a reminiscence of the 6.0 times, in a good way. Even if he fell behind with choreo or transitions, he's got this powerful quality to his skating the younger guys just don't. He still reminds me of Yags.

in ladies:
    European ladies entered very dark times some time ago and only the Russian wonderbabies can lead them out of there. My fav Russian for now is Sotnikova. She might soon be followed by Pogorilaya and Radionova. So far I do not like Lipnitskaya all that much, but she's a champion material. Of course Europe has Kostner and I really wouldn't like her to bomb at the Olys once again. But she's kinda like Brian, the Games are just not their show.

in pairs:
    Here is Europe's real dominance. Not only are the top 2 teams technically great, but they also stand out artistically. S/S have brought a whole new quality to pairs skating. V/T have the chemistry. None of the Chinese or North American pairs, though great technically, have those values.

in dance:
    I'm 90% sure there will be a European medal in dance. The only non-European contenders are W/P and they're going against four European teams. I somehow do not see a North American sweep at Olympics in Russia.
    The Russian teams probably have the biggest shot at that bronze, but I would personally prefer to see both P/B and C/L in front of them.

vCash
    IMO, in today's skating world it's too much of a generalization to categorize skating styles via geographic location. So many skaters train in countries other than their own. There is so much cross-fertilization. We live in a global interactive world. I think to a large degree skating styles are more based on individual talent and personal makeup and abilities, especially in the singles division.

E.g., Kostner is not more artistic than Czisny; Joubert is not more artistic than Abbott; Neither of Kovtun, Fernandez, Brezina or Amodio (IMO none of them) can be claimed to be more artistic than Jason Brown and Adam Rippon. Stephane Lambiel is a wonderfully creative and artistic skater, but so is Shawn Sawyer.

IMO, there are some skaters with quads who are over-rated on PCS scores.

ETA:

The young Russian ladies are very precocious and talented, but moreso technically. They all need to further develop their budding artistic skills, but that comes with growth experience and maturity. ITA that Sotnikova is currently the most well-rounded of the Russian ladies, but she needs to improve her consistency.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 12-03-2013 at 01:22 AM.

vCash
    I keep thinking of Russia and the old Soviet Union as a country and not a part of Europe even though i know they are. Without Russia the rest of Europe would be hurting especially when it comes to the Ladies. When Koster won in 2012 it was the first time in almost 25 years that a skater from Europe not Russian or ex Soviet won the Ladies world championship since Witt won in 1988. The fact is Russia has held up Europe in skating for a long time now and without them would be in real trouble.
    Last edited by Jammers; 12-03-2013 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    It's not the case as much as it used to be, though. Europe's top lady is Italian. Europe's pair with most titles is German. In ice dancing there is a battle of two Russian teams, the Italians and the French. At the 2013 Europeans, the highest placement of a Russian man was 5th.
    Russia is not dominating Europe in the way it used to anymore. They're slowly regaining their power, but they're not quite there yet.

Six different countries medalled at 2013 Europeans. It's still more than at 2013 4CC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I keep thinking of Russia and the old Soviet Union as a country and not a part of Europe even though i know they are. Without Russia the rest of Europe would be hurting especially when it comes to the Ladies. When Koster won in 2012 it was the first time in almost 25 years that a skater from Europe not Russian or ex Soviet won the Ladies world championship since Witt won in 1988. The fact is Russia has held up Europe in skating for a long time now and without them would be in real trouble.
    That's true, but :

France won several medal since the Duchesnays, three world ice dance title plus one olympic medal of each color is a good resume, very good, as much as Canada. In men, a world title (+ 4 silver & 3 bronze) and four european isn't bad also. Ladies, we had four, three silver and one bronze. And the lone A/B's bronze in pairs is better than nothing (and the first since the 30').

Then Italy won several too, Kostner & the dance teams.

Germany always have been strong in pairs. They had plenty. Worlds, euros & olympic (none gold though) and always were strong contenders to the russians, even if they don't beat them very often.

And now we have a new nation climbing the ISU podiums with Spain. Finland won a lady bronze & two in ice dance. I might forget some.

On the other side, all of them didn't really do well at the olympics. France with one of each in dance and two bronze in men should be the best finishers. Still, all of it isn't much compare to russian's teams results.

vCash
    Thanks to Eurosports awful coverage of the Europeans this year I got to see more of the 4CC's. It was like a mini world championships.
    Outside of Russia it worries me that there does not seem to be another European girl coming through who will challenge in the next four years.
    It's kinda sad sometimes that only a max of three from each country can go to an Olympics or Worlds.
    You want to see the best in the World at these events even if that means 10 from the US, Japan & Russia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Thanks to Eurosports awful coverage of the Europeans this year I got to see more of the 4CC's. It was like a mini world championships.
    Outside of Russia it worries me that there does not seem to be another European girl coming through who will challenge in the next four years.
    It's kinda sad sometimes that only a max of three from each country can go to an Olympics or Worlds.
    You want to see the best in the World at these events even if that means 10 from the US, Japan & Russia.
    Lutricia BOCK from Germany has 3F+3T and Jenni SAARINEN from Finland has 3T+3T with lutz and flip. They were born in 1999. Of course Russian juniors are better but those jumps are not bad for European ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Same here. And the same goes for other skaters with a history of bombing at the Olympics.
    like Joubert and Kostner
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    It is true, but if it became the rule I could see figure skating in other countries go from obscure to non-existent. With skaters knowing they have about zero chance of ever performing at a big event, what would be the point of training for them?
    Besides, it's not only a problem of skating, such a situation happens in many sports. It's just the way it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Lutricia BOCK from Germany has 3F+3T and Jenni SAARINEN from Finland has 3T+3T with lutz and flip. They were born in 1999. Of course Russian juniors are better but those jumps are not bad for European ladies.
    I love the bit "not bad for Europeans ladies". How many US ladies and Canadian ladies have solid triple-triple? (and if possible, something more than 3T-3T). Saying that European ladies would be lost without the Russian ladies is the same like ladies from american continent would be lost without Japanese ladies. There is only handful of ladies in US who are consistent and are delivering good results and even less of them in Canada.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    E.g., Kostner is not more artistic than Czisny
    This is highly debatable. IMO, it would be likened to you claiming that Buttle is not more artistic than Weir. Well, he certainly isn't less artistic than him either. I prefer Carolina's artistry over Alissa's, especially Kostner post-2010. I also prefer Jeffrey over Johnny. I think skating skills does play a large component in artistry and Czisny doesn't hold a candle to Kostner when it comes to skating skills, IMO. Caro's edge work and speed are pretty unmatched in ladies' skating to my eyes. Caro interprets music wonderfully and has terrific choreography usually. Unfortunately, I think sometimes Czisny's lack of confidence and timid personality have overshadowed her artistic style. Yes, Alissa has amazing spins and great flexibility, but those are her only strengths over Carolina.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 12-03-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast