Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    Here's the English version from google. I have no idea how accurate it is:

"Introducing the Takahashi team, so that adds a new coach"

And say so Yoshiko Kobayashi, deputy general manager of strengthening Japan Skating Federation was standing next to Daisuke Takahashi, I came into the room and passed between members of the press gathered, it was Nikolai Morozov.

From somewhere "ー! Lie", restrained whisper was heard.

For all participants, was the situation of "ー! Lie" exactly.
    This was actually the part of the article I enjoyed most because I could totally picture this reaction, LOL! In this usage, the Japanese expression "Uso!" (literally, "lie") would be more correctly translated as "No way!" The writer added something to the effect of, "And 'No way!' was surely what every one of the attendees was thinking."

Quote Originally Posted by homura View Post
    I found this. (English translation of the interview with Takahashi and Morozov)
    http://yoko71.tumblr.com/post/253225...os-japan-skate
    Oh yeah, much better, LOL! BTW, Daisuke's answer to the final question about whether he thought Nikolai needed him more or he needed Nikolai more could be translated as, "Let's just say he needed me. . . and I needed him more."

CORRECTION: It didn't say whom this question was directed to, so I was assuming it was Dai, but this was asked during the time Morozov was being interviewed, so this was actually Morozov's quote, not Takahashi's.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 06-20-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: To correct who was quoted as saying "Let's just say he needed me. . . and I needed him more."

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Aren't those PSA rules? Are non-US coaches bound by these rules?
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Oh yeah, much better, LOL! BTW, Daisuke's answer to the final question about whether he thought Nikolai needed him more or he needed Nikolai more could be translated as, "Let's just say he needed me. . . and I needed him more." I love how diplomatic Dai is.
    No, it's Nikolai Morozov's answer. Not Dai's.

Reporter : Did you feel that he(Takahashi) needed you, or you needed him more?
    Morozov : (laughs) I don't know 〜♪ I think, he needed me, or that! (laughs)
    Last edited by homura; 06-20-2012 at 06:49 AM.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    A rough translation of Akiko Tamura's article. (my thoughts are in brackets)
    http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/232362

"I'd like to introduce Team Takahashi's new coach"
    Yoshiko Kobayashi of JSF addressed the press and in came Nikolai Morozov. A retrained gasp "Seriously?" was heard across the room.

Morozov, who flew to Japan just for this occasion, entered the room with a tense and nervous expression, very unlikely of him.

"I'd like to come clean. Daisuke was my favourite student. I have always regretted the way we split. Deep down in my heart, I knew there were things unaccomplished with him"
    (death in MINAM's soul)

Morozov was only 30 years old when he coached Shizuka Arakawa to the Olympic gold medal. Miki Ando won the World Championships 2 times under his guidance. He is acknowledged as a great coach and choreographer in Japan.
    (Not by me.)

The split came in 2008 Spring. Right after Morozov announced of taking in Takahashi's biggest rival in Japan, Nobunari Oda.

It is widely regarded as being taboo in the figure skating world when a coach approaches a skater. However, always known as a maverick, Morozov had gone after skaters he wanted and was criticized for that. Oda was approached for more than an year before agreeing.

It was a bombshell to Takahashi, Morozov's favourite. "At that time around, I wasn't mature enough to accept that" Always humble, Takahashi looked back. (Too humble, Takahashi!)

However, when pressed
    "But Morozov should have told you beforehand. Wasn't that the course of trouble?"
    Takahashi laughed with a confused expression and replied
    "You see, I wasn't that surprised as people believed. I knew his impulsiveness when he thinks it's right for him"

At that time, Morozov never admitted his fault. He blamed Takahashi's agent of the split.
    "Takahashi chose his agent over me. Our relationship was already over when I accepted Oda" was his explanation. An explanation which was hard to believe considering the time line.

It was at the end of last season when Takahashi's said agent got a call from Morozov asking for a reconciliation. Not only did it surprise the agent, it was totally unexpected for Takahashi.

"Of course I'd say hi if I met him at competitions, but I've never really talked to him (after the split), so I was taken aback"

From a sense of a Japanese mentality, one would wonder how a person has such a nerve to make a contact after such a huge falling out. However, it maybe both Morozov's weakness and strength that he springs into action, defying common sense when he thinks it's right for him.

"I will admit that I felt anger towards Daisuke. I was even envy of his success"

After the split, Morozov boasted
    "Without me, there will be no success for Daisuke"
    Takahashi won the bronze in Vancouver Olympics and also the World Championships in 2010.
    (Ha ha, sweet revenge!)

"Now, about 2 years ago, I became to genuinely enjoy his performance. Of course he was a great skater in the first place, but now he has evolved into a skater everyone will remember. I need to improve myself to keep up with him"

When was the last time Morozov sound straightforward and humble? He wanted Takahashi back that much.

Of course we won't deny that as a coach, he has tremendous admiration for Daisuke Takahashi as a skater. But there is no doubt he had his personal agenda for approaching Takahashi at this timing.

Morozov isn't a hot coach anymore. None of his skaters won a medal in Vancouver. There are no candidates for Sochi in his group. Oda left 2 years ago and his loyal Miki Ando has no definite plans for the future.

To make a come back as the Olympic gold medal coach, he desperately needed Takahashi.

"Is this because he needs you? Or because YOU need him?" when asked this question, Morozov's expression froze for a second, then replied immediately with a big smile,
    "I would like to believe he needs me as well"

Takahashi agreed. (Oh, Takakashi, you don't have to be so polite!)

"I sat down and thought about this after this season. I have never lost respect for Nikolai as a coach and choreographer. Actually, his name came up every year when we were discussing who would choreograph my new program. The door was always open"

People around him were careful not to mention Morozov, but Takahashi wasn't affected that much.

"Russia is an atypical environment. I felt it might have a positive influence to have a Russian in my team rather being all Japanese"

Takahashi also added that Morozov may spice things up in his stable training environment with longtime coach Utako Nagamitsu.

"He's always been good at building skater's motivations. After all these years, I don't know if we can live up to our respective expectations. It's a second round match between us"

Takahashi, however, made it clear that he will not be fully dependent on Morozov like he was in the past. Nagamitsu is his primary coach, and Morozov is strictly in an advising position.

There is one problem. How the judges view Morozov.

His programs doesn't have the affect on the judges recently. The reason is the lack of transitions.

Takahashi has approached Lori Nichol this season but it didn't work out.
    When asked whether he will ask Morozov, Takahashi was quick to deny it.
    "No. It probably won't happen this season"

vCash
    "I knew his impulsiveness when he thinks it's right for him"
    Ewww, I hope it's not becuase of what I think it is.

vCash
    Thanks for the translations (and the thoughts), MINAM!

Thank skategods Dai's not using him for choreography. It's still baffling why he would need/want Morosov in the first place. It's not like he had any issues with motivation this season that he would need Morosov to build his confidence.

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    Thank skategods Dai's not using him for choreography. It's still baffling why he would need/want Morosov in the first place. It's not like he had any issues with motivation this season that he would need Morosov to build his confidence.
    Maybe he took pity on him. Kidding!

vCash
    MINAM, arigatou gozaimashita for the translation!

Quote Originally Posted by MINAM View Post
    When asked whether he will ask Morozov [to choreograph his programs], Takahashi quickly denied it. "No. It probably won't happen this season"
    ...and hopefully neither the following (Olympic) season...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MINAM View Post
    A rough translation of Akiko Tamura's article. (my thoughts are in brackets)
    http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/232362

Takahashi has approached Lori Nichol this season but it didn't work out.
    When asked whether he will ask Morozov, Takahashi quickly denied it. "No. It probably won't happen this season"
    Thanks for the translation MINAM.

So contrary to the word on the grapevine, Daisuke didn't go with a Lori program at all? V. Interesting!! I wonder what didn't work out.

vCash
    Great article from Akiko Tamura. Thank you for translation, MINAM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homura View Post
    No, it's Nikolai Morozov's answer. Not Dai's.

Reporter : Did you feel that he(Takahashi) needed you, or you needed him more?
    Morozov : (laughs) I don't know 〜♪ I think, he needed me, or that! (laughs)
    Thanks, you're right! That was asked when the questions were still being directed to Morozov, so it was actually Morozov who said Takahashi needed him but he needed Takahashi more! Original post corrected above.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Save Daisuke!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Save Daisuke!
    I was about to reply with an "Occupy Morozov!" but I realize that that's Elena Ilinykh's job

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I was about to reply with an "Occupy Morozov!" but I realize that that's Elena Ilinykh's job
    ewwwww Why would such a beautiful talented young woman...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    ewwwww Why would such a beautiful talented young woman...
    I heard her new boyfriend was a hockey player? So maybe the line that she and Morozov are a couple is just a rumour? Hopefully that is the case...

The "NICE" Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    So contrary to the word on the grapevine, Daisuke didn't go with a Lori program at all? V. Interesting!! I wonder what didn't work out.
    I didn't translate that part because someone posted about it earlier in this thread.

Takahashi did ask Nichol to choreograph this summer. Unforutunately, situations had changed and it fell apart.

Takahashi: I was looking forward working together with her. Sadly, things had changed, so....

vCash
    A short video clip of them together. (Dai and Nikolai)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUL2...feature=relmfu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    A short video clip of them together. (Dai and Nikolai)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPUL2...feature=relmfu
    Not that we see much of them in that clip, but Morozov looks really happy !

vCash
    hope he can find choreographer for this season soon.
    for me,I like Kenji even better DW or PC...

vCash
    Kenji Miyamoto is very voidy and creative and I wish more skaters used him.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast