12 3.97%
  • Yu-Na Kim

10 3.31%
  • Carolina Kostner

125 41.39%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    as we talk about skating champions, skating skills are really important, and Taras are weak. It's her turn now

Tara had speed, edges, ice coverage. One thing she had over caro was control. Hyper presentation style yes, but Tara never stumped around or looked sloppy. For years caro looked like a driver above the speed limit, texting and holding a coffee cup, swerving all over the road.
    Yes Tara's jumps were teeny tiny, a mere few inches off the ice, but they had good flow and good air position.
    She herself was tiny, which is why I think her presentation often suffered. She was often extended and pointed and stretched in a way other, taller skaters never were. Caro is very long and lean, which is one reason why she often looked awkward and gangly, with Bambi legs splaying all over the ice.

vCash
    Speedy and his bloc will once again mount a late week voting rampage to save Carolina

vCash
    This is getting a little old. We're going to start seeing the same arguments over and over and over again. I voted out Maria this past round. I liked a few qualities about her skating but in terms of overall skater + accomplishments, she comes out on the lower end. This round would be a close race b/w Carolina and Shizuka (with Tara as an outside vote) for me. Both are amazing skaters with great skills but both struggle(d) with inconsistency which knocks them down into the potential category. Given their skill sets they had the potential to be world/Olympic champion several times over, but lack of competitive focus and consistency did them in.

Shizuka managed to win the two big titles (worlds and the Olympics) but outside of those two competitions her results were very sporadic. She was a late bloomer; I had no idea she'd been competing since 1995. Shizuka didn't really become a medal contender until the 2002-2003 season. From there onward she remained a top 5 finisher on the GP (one gold at NHK, several silver and bronze). She never meadaled at junior worlds; of her four trips to senior worlds (from 1998, 2003-2005) she finished 22nd, 8th, 1st and 9th.

Shizuka was the underdog in Torino (Sasha and Irina were the favorites) but managed to win. I was happy for her and thought she deserved the win, but that whole competition was a splatfest. Shizuka delivered a solid program in a sea mistake-ridden programs and she walked away with the title. Comparing her winning performance to a number of other Olympic performances...it doesn't rank high for me. It was decent, but not memorable for me...that's just me though. I'm sure others feel differently.

Shizuka was a lovely skater with difficult jumps but her lack of consistency is what puts her on the block for me. You could have every 3-3 combo under the sun, but if you can't execute the jumps and skate with consistency it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what you're capable of; what matters is what you deliver at go-time. If judging in terms of difficult jumps and technique, she'd be a strong candidate to win this poll. But when looking at the overall package (jumps, consistency, dominance, titles, etc.), I'm afraid she doesn't match up well against the remaining skaters.

Carolina's story is the exact same: sporadic placements (ranging from 12th to 1st at worlds since 2002), lack of consistency, etc. I guess the only reason I'd pick Carolina to stay this round is b/c she is currently at the top of the sport with plans to continue competing. Never mind the jumps or lack thereof she used to get there, she's the world champion and it's been tough to beat her in the last year. Yeah, she's winning with easier jumps but that speaks more to her other skills as a skater...it also reflects her level of competition. If she's doing toes and loops then it shouldn't be that hard for a skater with a ton of technical firepower to take her down...unless they don't have the skating skills to back it up, which hardly anyone does.

That's why she's the champion. The jumps do enough to keep her afloat and she uses the rest of her skating win and, until someone comes who can out-jump her and match her other qualities, I don't see anything wrong with what she's doing. Why do more if you don't have to? If all you need is a 3t-3t to win, why take a risk by doing something harder? If you succeed, way to go; if you fail, you just needlessly took yourself out of contention. A smart skater plays to their strengths and that's why Carolina has been doing so well these last two years...I ain't even mad at her. No lutz? In last year's field, who gives a @#$%? Certainly not the judges...

Carolina is one of only two active skaters remaining on this list (Mao). Everyone else has long since retired or probably has no plans to come back. That means that Carolina's not done yet. Her technical content has regressed somewhat but in terms of performance, choreography, interpretation, consistency and results, she's on the up-swing which means she could add several more titles to her name.

Tara's my outside vote simply b/c she was around for only two seasons and then left. While she was competing she had everything except maturity, interpretation, presence...things that come with age. She looked like a little kid zipping around the rink and jumping. She improved her presentation in 1998 but she still looked like a little kid trying to do grown up moves. We never got the chance to see a mature and refined Tara Lipinski skate.

Still, she had the firepower, the focus and the consistency. She was a tough competitor who won everything which is why I'd keep her safe for now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    NOw, while I have voted for Tara the last 2 rounds and I still enjoy her skating the least of all the skaters left, there's something very wrong with Meltdown Queen Carolina Kostner surviving for half of this game.

She NEEDS to go now!! Bye Carolina.
    It would be very shocking if she survives past half the surviving ladies on the poll

vCash
    Voted for Arakawa because she lacked projection.

vCash
    Kostner again. She should've left before Ando. I hope she's finally out this time.

I would personally knock out Chen before Arakawa. I know Shizuka was incosistent but her performance from 2004 Worlds is one of the best ever IMO. Combination of technical prowess and extraordinary artistry. And all that momentum she'd been building up to the final ina bauer when it just exploded with all the emotions. And her skating skills are on the same level with the greatest. Smooth and efortless flow over the ice. She didn't have the speed of Slutskaya or Kostner but her egdes caressed the ice like the edges of Mao's.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzGdVragbo
    I love what Dick said here that when she lands a jump it's like caressing the ice. However, if we look closely at triple-triples, both triple toes would've gotten < if they used CoP at this competition. Actually many of her triple-triples were underrotated but her triple-triple-triples are jaw-dropping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KWGp1vFwE0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I cannot believe that two skaters with as much personality as Ando and Butyrskaya (often wrong-headed but they've got it to spare) got the axe while a skater like Kostner (either stumbling, boring or stumbling and boring is still around....

If Kostner doesn't go this time then it's a poor verdict on the voters.
    You think Ando has a personality?? I was beginning to think that the Japanese had actually created a real skating robot until I watched a few of her exhibitions. Still, I thought she would outlast Kostner because she is a much stronger competitor. This is my third vote for Kostner. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

vCash
    Actually, funny as this may sound, Ando really IS quite expressive in her exhibition skates. It was one of my biggest surprises when I saw Caesars last year.

Still, doesn't change how robotic her competitive performances were, and this poll is about competition only, right? That said, I've voted for Kostner since round 2 and hopefully the FOURTH time is the charm.

vCash
    I was thinking of her emoting off the ice (always in tears for some reason or other....)

Also Butyrskaya. One of my favorite memories of her is stomping out of the K&C in disgust at her marks (in 1997?)

Blergh
    vCash
    You know, Arakawa is sort of the definition of "one-hit wonder" in that she can only win if she skates to Turandot. Having Nessum Dorma blasting has to help almost anyone even with projection issues.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I was thinking of her emoting off the ice (always in tears for some reason or other....)

Also Butyrskaya. One of my favorite memories of her is stomping out of the K&C in disgust at her marks (in 1997?)
    Yes, Miki is quite the off the ice. Too bad she can't use some of during her competition programs!

Hasn't Maria AND Irina stomped out of the K&C numerous times?

vCash
    Kostner needs to go now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    Yes, Miki is quite the off the ice. Too bad she can't use some of during her competition programs!

Hasn't Maria AND Irina stomped out of the K&C numerous times?
    They never "stomped out". A little upset/bewildered/unhappy may be, but they never misbehaved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's a new one!

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    That's a new one!
    But she does. Not that she hasn't stepped up to the plate, but to say she's reserved isn't off the mark.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    There are introverted skaters like Shizuka, and they often get bashed for lacking that outward reach to the audience. However, there have been some really good introverted skaters.... (this calls for a new thread, IMO)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Speedy and his bloc will once again mount a late week voting rampage to save Carolina
    Lipinski and Arakawa axed before Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    You know, Arakawa is sort of the definition of "one-hit wonder" in that she can only win if she skates to Turandot. Having Nessum Dorma blasting has to help almost anyone even with projection issues.
    if this is widely known, when we will see skaters seeking an artistic bandaid switch from east of eden to turandot?

i would prefer even the jeff beck version of turandot to another hacked up east of eden.

not voting this round because my vote makes no difference. *sigh* this is too much like a real election

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    They never "stomped out". A little upset/bewildered/unhappy may be, but they never misbehaved.
    Oh lighten up. Compared with most skaters' meek behavior, she stomped off.

It was a nice display of temprament (of the kind I'm completely in favor of). And the case I'm thinking of she really did look teed off (and the Brit Eurosport guys seemed to think she had every right to be). It's when I kind of started to become a fan.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Did you ever see Shizuka skate live? Because the first time I saw her skate live was at GPF the year she ended up winning Worlds. I was taken aback by her 'projection' in terms of her power, her edges, her overall skating ability. Cohen was the fave at that competition but Shizuka was twice or thrice the *skater* that Cohen was. (And please don't slam me, I think Cohen is exquisite). I was with a bunch of FSU or the old Skatefans members, and I turned to them and was like "Am I crazy, or does Shizuka Arakawa have killer skills? I get her. She's incredible." No one was on board, but I felt vindicated when she won Worlds that year. I hope she stays on this thread to beat Kwan, which really it will come down to (Kwan that is, not Arakawa).
    I will not be ignored! -Me

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast