View Poll Results: Who was the weakest link?

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shishkova & Naumov

6 3.61%
  • Kovarikova & Novotny

11 6.63%
  • Eltsova & Bushkov

62 37.35%
  • Woetzel & Steuer

23 13.86%
  • Kazakova & Dmitriev

0 0%
  • Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

2 1.20%
  • Petrova & Tikhonov

14 8.43%
  • Sale & Pelletier

31 18.67%
  • Shen & Zhao

1 0.60%
  • Totmianina & Marinin

8 4.82%
  • Pang & Tong

6 3.61%
  • Savchenko & Szolkowy

2 1.20%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Petrova/Tikhonov so far. They won 2000 Worlds with a solid but hardly memorable program, which in some years may not have even medaled. Their skating improved quite a bit in their last couple seasons (terrific SPs 2004-2006), but they never truly contended for the top spot. I'm probably voting for them next.
    Don't worry, they are my next vote !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Plus they won as a payback for being robbed at Euros that year.
    Yes Kovarikova & Novotny clearly should have won Europeans that year, but Woetzel & Steuer received what most viewed as a hometown gift (I would have had them 3rd behind Shishkova & Naumov). At Worlds Kovarikova & Novotny skated an excellent short, but then a much worse long than Europeans, and still won over a flaweless Shishkova & Naumov (Woetzel & Steuer 2nd after the short bombed and came 5th). Barb Underhill & Paul Martini on CBC were rooting for K&V to win, and livid when they didnt win Europeans, but were dissapointed with their performance at Worlds, and pretty much agreed the judges gave them gold as a "make up, sorry we screwed you there" present for what happened at Europeans. That plus knowing it was their final amateur event likely too.

The problem is if you keep doing that someone will always be screwed in the end, unless you keep giving the next victim a makeup gift when the appropriate time comes, it has to end somewhere. Unfortunately this time Shishkova & Naumov were the victims, as they often were in their careers it seemed. No make up gift ever came there way in the future, that is for sure.

vCash
    The US wuzrobbed of having a team in this poll.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Yes Kovarikova & Novotny clearly should have won Europeans that year, but Woetzel & Steuer received what most viewed as a hometown gift (I would have had them 3rd behind Shishkova & Naumov). At Worlds Kovarikova & Novotny skated an excellent short, but then a much worse long than Europeans, and still won over a flaweless Shishkova & Naumov (Woetzel & Steuer 2nd after the short bombed and came 5th). Barb Underhill & Paul Martini on CBC were rooting for K&V to win, and livid when they didnt win Europeans, but were dissapointed with their performance at Worlds, and pretty much agreed the judges gave them gold as a "make up, sorry we screwed you there" present for what happened at Europeans. That plus knowing it was their final amateur event likely too.

The problem is if you keep doing that someone will always be screwed in the end, unless you keep giving the next victim a makeup gift when the appropriate time comes, it has to end somewhere. Unfortunately this time Shishkova & Naumov were the victims, as they often were in their careers it seemed. No make up gift ever came there way in the future, that is for sure.

Very true. FS judges keep doing it, like the Oscars- trying to make up for past injustices and in the process created even more injustice. Shishkova-Naumov was one of the unluckiest pairs. The breaks never went their way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Too bad the last US pair to win a world title was Babilonia & Gardner in 1979.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Very true. FS judges keep doing it, like the Oscars- trying to make up for past injustices and in the process created even more injustice. Shishkova-Naumov was one of the unluckiest pairs. The breaks never went their way.
    Yeah they had the performances of their life at the 94 Olympics, would have won gold or silver at every other Olympics probably, but came 4th due to the reinstated legends and Brasseur & Eisler skating well and having the clout as reigning World Champs. Of course that had to be the ONLY year reinstated pros were allowed back. Then winning every event they entered in the 95-96 season, being off at Worlds but all the other top pairs making as many mistakes or more in that messy event, and being bumped to 4th by freakish ordinals despite 4 1st place votes. Then major injuries the next 2 years, and the Russian depth in pairs piling up again at the same time as their injuries and struggles to regain form.

Thank goodness they won the 94 Worlds. By the way I have plenty of space so feel free to send me a PM if you like now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Woetzel & Steuer by a landslide. Eltsova & Bushkov atleast did the technical elements properly and well.
    And had more detailed transitions and choreography.

Woeztel and Steuer have to be one of the most overrated pairs teams in history. He was ok, but everything she did was so wobbly and stiff.

vCash
    I voted Shishkova & Naumov. I will never ever forgive them for those horrible lime green outfits in 1992.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Speaking of Shiskova and Nuamov, I figure now's a good time to post their little seen 1997 Europeans FS to "Meditation".

I never saw this before until recently, and never knew they even had a Meditation program. I just assumed they skated Don Quixote straight through from 96-98.

It's not as good as B&S's Meditation would be years later, but it's way better than Don Quixote, so I don't know why they didn't just keep this one for 98 rather than go back to DQ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    That just means all our votes will be fair and without national bias.

vCash
    How could 1 person vote Savchenko and Szolkowy... They are the best

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Speaking of Shiskova and Nuamov, I figure now's a good time to post their little seen 1997 Europeans FS to "Meditation".
    *Sigh* I really miss pairs skating under 6.0. That was really beautiful, two death spirals without stupid blade holds, spastic entries or exits, change of holds or pivots, just nice simply death spirals. Choreography enhacngin spiral and spins. Plenty of time to show spped, flow, ice coverage, two skateing as one. Everything that COP has destroyed in pairs skating for me. Though i still adore savchenko and szolkowy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    *Sigh* I really miss pairs skating under 6.0. That was really beautiful, two death spirals without stupid blade holds, spastic entries or exits, change of holds or pivots, just nice simply death spirals. Choreography enhacngin spiral and spins. Plenty of time to show spped, flow, ice coverage, two skateing as one. Everything that COP has destroyed in pairs skating for me. Though i still adore savchenko and szolkowy.
    COP completely ruined pairs skating for me. Other disciplines actually gained some from COP scoring, despite some of its shortcomings. However, pairs skating under COP has become a series of ugly positions, no relation to music, and quite frankly I don't even enjoy watching it anymore. I don't care for S&S either. There isn't a pair now that I truly love the way I loved B&S, M&D, G&G, and liked B&P or S&N or even Pet-Tik.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    That just means all our votes will be fair and without national bias.
    That's your opinion.

No, I did not vote for them, but I disagree that they are the best. JMO.

vCash

I never saw this before until recently, and never knew they even had a Meditation program. I just assumed they skated Don Quixote straight through from 96-98.

It's not as good as B&S's Meditation would be years later, but it's way better than Don Quixote, so I don't know why they didn't just keep this one for 98 rather than go back to DQ.
    Beautiful. I love her extensions and pointed toes. It just goes to show how beautiful a lift can be when the skater does not catch her foot (COP style), and the simple death spirals are so much more effective for interpreting music, than the 'change of hands/catch foot death spirals which make me sick). Nice unison too.

I wonder why they did not skate this in 1998? With a clean skate may be they could have won an Olympic spot. I really miss this pair. They do lack extroverted passion in their skating, but they make up for it with the finer points.

vCash
    I am surprised to see Sale & Pelletier to be so high on the list.
    Although they were never my favorites, I expected them to have quite a few followers.

vCash
    "You cannot give reputation to the same post twice"

Banned Member
    vCash
    Woeztel and Steuer have to be one of the most overrated pairs teams in history. He was ok, but everything she did was so wobbly and stiff.
    Okay, yes, she had 'issues'. Whenever I think of her trying a double axel, I see her practically horizontal to the ice, and of course she fell. Badly. But I absolutely loved the Up Close and Personals with them. IIRC, Mandy and Ingo 'dated' but one time for the US camera she decided to bring a cute German boy with her, and Ingo stormed off in a jealous rage. So I give points to Mandy for getting under Ingo's skin. They weren't boring, that's for sure.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    How could 1 person vote Savchenko and Szolkowy... They are the best
    Apparently not in that poster's opinion...
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    nm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast