Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Also, I frequent a forum that discusses everything Olympics including spy photos of the preparations leading up to the games. One month to go and there is still no signs of the cauldron or the construction of it near or inside the stadium.

If nothing shows up til the opening ceremony and they wow us with the lighting, it will be probably the best kept secret of all time for any Olympic ceremony!!
    Is that site Gamesbids? If not, could you post a link, please. Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Is that site Gamesbids? If not, could you post a link, please. Thanks.
    Yup that's the site.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Haaaate the US outfits. Who thought those berets were a good idea??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    From the article:

They were joined by David Lauren, Ralph Lauren's Executive Vice President. In designing the outfits, the company was "very inspired by the 1948 Games, which is the last time that American competed in England," he said of the "updated take on old-world elegance."
    Here is a pic of the United States sabre fencing team in their 1948 uniforms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I quite like the outfits. I like the retro look. I'm also remembering it's not going to be very warm in London so the Jackets and the hats will be useful for warmth and not just for looks.

vCash
    After a second look, I must say that the jackets are tailored beautifully. The pants are good, too.

The ladies need to ditch the neckerchief and the ankle socks. It almost looks like they spent so much time on the men's design that the women's was a bit of an afterthought. There are so many great American designers, someone other than Ralph Lauren for Rio, please?

The hats. That's not a cute beret. Beijing's chapeau was much better, IMHO.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    They look like member of the US Military instead of an Olympic Team. Don't like em at all.

Sadly, they're still better from what I've seen of the Team Canada stuff. Which does not fill me w/confidence in how they'll look coming into the Stadium in two weeks time.

vCash
    I'm having trouble understanding what is going on with the cut of the jacket. Has anyone seen a view where they face the camera straight on?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    United States of Ralph Lauren!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    They're ugly. And also made in China. Oops.

vCash
    Still can't believe how horrific that song is! "I'm gonna wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin"

I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony. There's no way it could be as dull as Vancouver's.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Haven't looked at the link to remain unspoiled, but I accidentally saw something on tv which sounded both brilliant and but guaranteed to make people (I hope!) I've also seen big groups of people arriving in costume for dress rehearsal so it'll be interesting to see how they fit in with the scheme of things ...

vCash
    Will be at the ceremony on Friday, but sadly won't see my two friends who were due to perform as part of the cycling segment which was cut last week

vCash
    I'm so sorry to hear that alij. What a shame for your friends and indeed we were thinking of all the hard work that people have put into preparing for this event and how excited they must have been to be included, only to be disappointed at the last minute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear that alij. What a shame for your friends and indeed we were thinking of all the hard work that people have put into preparing for this event and how excited they must have been to be included, only to be disappointed at the last minute.
    Gutted would be an understatement, one of them had fallen and broken her elbow in training and had carried on training through the pain to make sure she would be ready.

I am still really looking forward to the spectacle, they were given tickets to one of the technical rehearsals as a bit of an apology and said the show is amazing, just sorry they aren't' part of it.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Sorry for your friends, alij, but why was a whole segment cut this late in the game?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    When they did the first dress rehearsal, the timing of the show as a whole was too long so a few things were reduced in length and one section, the cycling, which lasted 6 minutes was cut altogether. It was to include, track, road and bmx cyclists working together and they had been working on it for months. Reason given for cutting that section was that the stunt cyclists were professionals on a contract who would be paid in full but my friends and others were certainly not professionals so not sure where that come from.

The length had to be shortened to ensure that everyone could get away from the stadium in time to use public transport, I haven't quite understood why it is starting so late in the evening, I am guessing maybe for TV audiences

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    The length had to be shortened to ensure that everyone could get away from the stadium in time to use public transport, I haven't quite understood why it is starting so late in the evening, I am guessing maybe for TV audiences
    Sounds like an excuse for poor planning on their part. I'm sure it happens most every Olys but since this is the current one I'll snark on it. Surely public transport will run extra hours? Or maybe not.

Again, sorry for your friends. It would have been a real thrill for them.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast