Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash

Who's going to void in (not fake) London?

I am with Mr. allezfred. So excited!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I'm jealous. Which sports are you going to see?

You should be very proud of Irish gymnast Kieran Behan who qualified for the Olympics last week.

He's overcome a lot of injury and serious illness to make it this far.

Here are some links:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/s...p_the_numbers/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...fc74b03e0f.8b1

Behan, who won a World Cup floor title last year, has overcome an extraordinary run of injuries -- several before he was a teenager.
    Aged 10 he was in a wheelchair after complications in removing a non-cancerous tumour from his leg and 15 months later a freak training accident left him with a form of brain damage.
    Then, as a 12-year-old, he hit his head on the back of the high bar, damaging his inner ear and leading him to black out in the event of sudden movement.
    That led to a three-year break from gymnastics training as he taught himself how to sit and move his head.
    Yet he eventually returned to gymnastics, only to rupture anterior cruciate ligaments in both knees in separate incidents that kept him out of action until the end of 2010.
    Interview at the test event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZrJAE-uuac

His floor routine from qualifying at the test event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCeSk...eature=related

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    I'm jealous. Which sports are you going to see?
    Just race walking at the moment. Yeah voidy shufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    You should be very proud of Irish gymnast Kieran Behan who qualified for the Olympics last week.

He's overcome a lot of injury and serious illness to make it this far.
    Yes, I've heard the story many many times now.

But we'll for him even if he is a bit of a Plastic Paddy.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I am! tennis and gymnastics tickets. Would have loved to get swimming as well, but I've done pretty well compared to many.

vCash
    We managed to get the golden tickets of the championship: Men's 100M finals yeahh ~~~!

Can't wait!! Yep I want to see Usain Bolt in action going for another triple gold and we will be going crazy!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    You better hope he doesn't false start.

vCash
    I am!!

2 Equestrian events and Beach volley. I am hoping to get some more when the resale opens in April

vCash
    I absolutely love London. My favorite city in the world, but the idea of 30 million more people descending on an already crowded city... I'll be happy to watch from the comfort of my bedroom and say I was there!
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I absolutely love London. My favorite city in the world, but the idea of 30 million more people descending on an already crowded city... I'll be happy to watch from the comfort of my bedroom and say I was there!
    I had similar worries when the Olympics was in Vancouver, but everything was handled really well logistically speaking and getting around was no problem. People stayed off the road and took transit, and taking transit was actually a lot of fun - part of the Olympic experience for sure. Lots of skater sightings in skytrain stations/on the train.

It was crowded downtown, but that was only a problem on hockey nights, when the crowd got a bit wild. Otherwise, it was just all sorts of people enjoying the Olympics. The crowds were manageable and it wasn't hard to get into restaurants/pubs (though many of the Olympic pavilions were impossible).

However, all of this may have occurred because many people like yourself decided to stay home and hide in their living rooms during the Olympics.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 02-11-2012 at 10:37 AM.

vCash
    I wish I could be there but will have to settle watching it on tv with most of the rest of the world.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Just got my London Passes in the mail today. We are going late June and should be back home before the Olympic mania begins.
    This time we are taking our grandson to show him the wonders of London. We are all very excited. I have the itinerary planned already. It will be exhausting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I had similar worries when the Olympics was in Vancouver, but everything was handled really well logistically speaking and getting around was no problem. People stayed off the road and took transit, and taking transit was actually a lot of fun - part of the Olympic experience for sure. Lots of skater sightings in skytrain stations/on the train.

It was crowded downtown, but that was only a problem on hockey nights, when the crowd got a bit wild. Otherwise, it was just all sorts of people enjoying the Olympics. The crowds were manageable and it wasn't hard to get into restaurants/pubs (though many of the Olympic pavilions were impossible).

However, all of this may have occurred because many people like yourself decided to stay home and hide in their living rooms during the Olympics.
    I was in Vancouver as well, and you are right, everything logistically (at least in the city) was handled fabulously well, never waiting more than a couple minutes for a bus or skytrain, and while there were insane line ups for some things (Zip lines and the mint to see the medals), everything else was reasonable. I absolutely loved being in Vancouver and in my opinion was the most well done Olympics ever. That being said, The Summer Olympics are just SO much more LARGER than the Winter Games. I went to London in late September and there were some times getting into the tube you were squished in there like a sardine. With an extra 30 million people putting strain on that system, traffic is already a nightmare on the best of days that is just too many people for me. I can't imagine the strain that London is going to be under. I'm very happy to stay away and watch at home on TV in my room
    Kyle

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I am with Mr. allezfred. So excited!
    yeah.. Olympic

Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I'm going too! Via Cosport, have ended up with a decent amount of tickets... even got some show jumping (woohoo!).

vCash
    I WON THE VISA CONTEST AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO LONDON2012!!!!!!

Granted it's just for five days and since I am flying in from Asia it's really just three days of activities and probably cheap tickets with events that's not too popular, but it will be my first Olympics EVER!!!!!!!

I am still in disbelieve...

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Congratulations!

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    That`s so exciting, walei!

vCash
    Thanks Allezfred and KimKom

I love London, only been there once for my high school music trip. Can't wait to go again with the city all decked out with Olympic atmosphere!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Just got some more tickets. First night of athletics! Wheeee!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Just got some more tickets. First night of athletics! Wheeee!
    Cool. So is that 100m heats and 10,000m ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast