Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash

Ceremony Chatter

Wasn't sure where to put chatter about the Opening and Closing Ceremonies since I know some people like to go unspoiled, so I started a new thread. If it should be somewhere else, can a kind admin move/combine?

Opening ceremony to feature a "country scene" with real farm animals.

The whole of the field of play in the stadium will be transformed into the rolling British countryside. Each of the four nations will be represented by their national flower: the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, the daffodil of Wales and the flax from Northern Ireland.

Real farmyard animals will graze on the set: 12 horses, 3 cows, 2 goats, 10 chickens, 8 geese, 70 sheep and 3 sheepdogs
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    The whole of the field of play in the stadium will be transformed into the rolling British countryside. Each of the four nations will be represented by their national flower: the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, the daffodil of Wales and the flax from Northern Ireland.

Real farmyard animals will graze on the set: 12 horses, 3 cows, 2 goats, 10 chickens, 8 geese, 70 sheep and 3 sheepdogs
    Fine with me. After all the opening ceremonies is supposed to reflect the culture and history of the city/country where they take place. Whether it's effective or not will totally depend on how it's done.

Anyone care to wager on whether or not there will be a fashion show?

Thanks for starting the thread. I was hoping someone would.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Oh bloody hell - Oh well, I love sheep

Take That and George Michael confirmed for the closing.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Maypoles

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I love the idea of sheep and cows! How can that not be adorable! And sheep dogs to keep things under control - perfection!!!

And we've posted this in other threads, but since we've got an Opening and Closing thread now, I'll repost that Paul McCartney is confirmed for the Opening Ceremony as well.

A little more detail on Boyle's vision for the ceremony:

And here is a link to the Ceremonies page on the London 2012 website that features more info about the opening, closing, victory and team welcome ceremonies.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 06-13-2012 at 04:41 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Poop, poop and more poop.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Poop, poop and more poop.
    Maybe they'll all wear diapers.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Maybe they'll all wear diapers.
    Nappies.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I saw this and got all excited thinking that Susan Boyle was going to be performing..

vCash
    o.o sheep and cows. Is this New Zealand? Well we are more British than the British half the time. Anyway it sounds a bit like how Vancouver did their ceremonies in 2010 which are quite the departure from previous Olympic ceremonies.

vCash
    Didn't the organising committee what to show a progressive Britain or something like that, when did they decide to change the games to dark ages. Anyway, any time you bring in any sort of animals to the ceremony, the unpredictability factor goes high. Thankfully, they are not bringing any sort of dangerous animals, except humans that is.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I saw this and got all excited thinking that Susan Boyle was going to be performing..
    If Susan Boyle performs, I'll be more annoyed than I was with the slam poet.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I sure hope Susan Boyle isn't going to perform any slam poetry.

vCash
    I'm not sure if it should be Susan Boyle or not, but you need a large voice (or chorus) for the Olympic Hymn. Some of my favorite moments at Olympic Ceremonies have been the singing of the Olympic Hymn. It was where I discovered Sissel. The 1984 Los Angeles chorus is one of my favorites. Another great one is Placido Domingo - Barcelona 1992. Frankly, it needs to not be someone with a rock and roll background.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm not sure if it should be Susan Boyle or not
    It shouldn't.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    This sounds like one of those things that won't be a halfway sort of a thing. If it works, it's going to be amazing and people will be talking about it for years. If not, it'll be a huge flop and people will be talking about it for years.

I actually thought it's a rather interesting idea and hope it works.

I'm not sure if it should be Susan Boyle or not, but you need a large voice (or chorus) for the Olympic Hymn. Some of my favorite moments at Olympic Ceremonies have been the singing of the Olympic Hymn. It was where I discovered Sissel. The 1984 Los Angeles chorus is one of my favorites. Another great one is Placido Domingo - Barcelona 1992. Frankly, it needs to not be someone with a rock and roll background.
    Ooooh...Placido!!! My Opera boyfriend and one heck of a voice. That also was one of my favourite Olympic Hymn performances.

Alfie Boe could do it justice, but he's part of the duet that's the Official Team GB Song. Not sure if that'll be performed, but can't see it not at the same time. Anyway, Alfie's got that powerful voice that w/out a doubt would knock it out of the park and then some.

vCash
    Well, I'd prefer Susan Boyle to Paul McCartney following the recent Jubilee concert performance

But would definitely vote for Tom Jones and Rhydian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MHG...Kzekobr85_ZfhQ
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    o.o sheep and cows. Is this New Zealand? Well we are more British than the British half the time. Anyway it sounds a bit like how Vancouver did their ceremonies in 2010 which are quite the departure from previous Olympic ceremonies.
    Well even in my industrial city we are surrounded by fields of sheep and cattle, the nearest just a short walk away And to promote British wool I'm involved with this Cultural Olympiad project http://www.woolsack.org/ although the initiative has fallen foul of the 'corporate olympiad' .... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-sponsors.html But at least the athletes are keen on getting a cushion

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Document supposedly showing the song list for the Opening Ceremony is "leaked", but nobody will confirm if the list is correct. If true, there are some significant omissions.

vCash
    Also, I frequent a forum that discusses everything Olympics including spy photos of the preparations leading up to the games. One month to go and there is still no signs of the cauldron or the construction of it near or inside the stadium.

If nothing shows up til the opening ceremony and they wow us with the lighting, it will be probably the best kept secret of all time for any Olympic ceremony!!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Song from Muse is selected as the main "official" song for the Olympics.

the song was written with "the Olympics in mind. It's about total conviction and pure determination to win."

Survival will play during the July 27-Aug. 12 games as athletes enter venues and before medal ceremonies, reports AP. It will debut today on BBC radio.
    ETA: Here is the link to the song
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 06-28-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast