Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    He can be a steamroller when he's working. If you've been run over by him, you won't necessarily like him.
    He's also raided teams, not so cool!

vCash
    Question, does Igor's wife teach at Artic?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Regarding Igor's record as a developmental coach, he teamed Belbin and Agosto in the late 1990s and coached them through Gotenburg. As previously noted, he also did well with Jamie Silverstein and others. He has several junior teams now, and may well coach more at the developmental level in the seasons ahead. One may post opinions about his personality -- I have found him to be understated and professional at practices and events -- and who did what to whom at Canton, but Shpilband's track record and ability is beyond question, as is Zoueva's.

Being a cloying Pollyanna, maybe this split will work out well in the end, and two impressive ice dance camps will be created where there once was one. Certainly there seems to be a lot of ice in the state of Michigan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Question, does Igor's wife teach at Artic?
    Yes--Adrienne Lebda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    He's had many teams at lower levels. I have seen him at Sectionals coaching Novice teams, for example. We just don't hear about it because those teams tend to break up 10x before they get to the Jr. and Senior level. Also, it's been less and less true over the years and I think that's part of the problem. He likes working with those younger teams but right now he only has Senior teams. (Well, had. )

The last time I saw him with a Novice team was 2004 or 2005?? I can't remember. I bet Sylvia does.

He can be a steamroller when he's working. If you've been run over by him, you won't necessarily like him.
    He had a Novice Team at that time- Shannon Wingle and Kurt Lingenfelter. I don't remember ever seeing him with multiple young teams (Juvenile/Intermediate). Novice is typically as low as he goes, skaters usually go to him after they've had some success at the lower levels. I can't think of one team he put together at the lower levels that gained success. He had Jamie/Justin and Shannon/ Kurt.

vCash
    I think he started coaching Madison Chock when she was in Intermediate. When he started working with Charlotte Lichtman, she was at the Junior level, but she was new to ice dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    He had a Novice Team at that time- Shannon Wingle and Kurt Lingenfelter. I don't remember ever seeing him with multiple young teams (Juvenile/Intermediate). Novice is typically as low as he goes, skaters usually go to him after they've had some success at the lower levels. I can't think of one team he put together at the lower levels that gained success. He had Jamie/Justin and Shannon/ Kurt.
    Neither of which stayed together. Shannon, in fact, has had multiple partners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    That's a very bad excuse.

If anything is limiting, it's doing the usual romantic shtick that has been done to death.

Look at Kerrs. They thrived on having to come up with various other concepts and showed us some very original and creative routines.
    Also the duchesnays
    I wonder whether this means that other teams leave as well. Hoping for Tessa and Scott to go somewhere else (maybe even to Igor)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Regarding Igor's record as a developmental coach, he teamed Belbin and Agosto in the late 1990s and coached them through Gotenburg. As previously noted, he also did well with Jamie Silverstein and others. He has several junior teams now, and may well coach more at the developmental level in the seasons ahead. One may post opinions about his personality -- I have found him to be understated and professional at practices and events -- and who did what to whom at Canton, but Shpilband's track record and ability is beyond question, as is Zoueva's.
    Igor coached Silverstein/Pekarek, and young B/A, with Liz Coates. Liz was the one who was credited with giving both teams strong basic skills. When Liz left, S/P were no more, and people started criticizing B/A for sacrificing technique for speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    The Kerrs are exciting, but technically sloppy skaters. I can't think of a single program of theirs that I didn't enjoy, but when even someone in no teknik on ice dance can see multiple errors per performance, they've got problems. I was hoping they would go into choreography.
    There's still good time for that
    They are making good money touring though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Igor coached Silverstein/Pekarek, and young B/A, with Liz Coates. Liz was the one who was credited with giving both teams strong basic skills. When Liz left, S/P were no more, and people started criticizing B/A for sacrificing technique for speed.
    Perhaps you are right. My mistake.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Coated specialized in blade skills and compulsory dances. Shpliband's forte as a technical coach is point-getting elements, and until the judges scores reflect lack of line, toe-point, turnout, finish, unison, and ease of the blade, then the Shpilband brand of technique will be more important than the Coated brand of techniqu
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Coated specialized in blade skills and compulsory dances. Shpliband's forte as a technical coach is point-getting elements, and until the judges scores reflect lack of line, toe-point, turnout, finish, unison, and ease of the blade, then the Shpilband brand of technique will be more important than the Coated brand of technique.
    I mis-used the term "developmental" coach: I didn't mean teaching young children the basics but taking preteens and young teenagers and growing them up to the top senior level.

If he gets unhappy about skaters making the same mistakes, no wonder he becomes uninterested when they peak: incremental improvement at that level is difficult and takes a great deal of effort, plus any short-cuts or habits have to be undone, which at that level is a great risk.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    The problem with the Shibs isn't that they are siblings, or not being voidy enough or whatever, it's the simple fact that they don't generate the power per push of the blade that any other team in the top 10 can.

Yes, the lack of any original choreography doesn't help, but it doesn't really matter what style of program they do, it just won't have the same impact with their SS.

And the Kerrs were consistently overmarked if anything.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    From what I've seen of them live, boy Shib has as smooth and efficient blades as anyone competing now. Until I saw them live for the first time, at SA in Portland IIRC, I was meh about them from video and didn't understand what the hype was about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Responding to Allezfred's comment on the other closed thread. Part of the reason for the Shib's less than awesome programs was the fact that they are brother & sister. Very limiting.
    As others have noted, it's only limiting if you make it limiting. The Kerrs, in addition to being siblings, also have very little height difference between them and got into ice dance relatively late - yet they managed to come up with plenty of creative ideas for programs. Having interesting programs allowed them to succeed beyond what a team with their technical ability normally would have.

The problem is more that Marina and Igor couldn't really figure out what to do with a sibling team, and I hope the Shibs will eventually find someone who can.

vCash
    From what I've seen of them live, boy Shib has as smooth and efficient blades as anyone competing now. Until I saw them live for the first time, at SA in Portland IIRC, I was meh about them from video and didn't understand what the hype was about.
    ITA. One has to see the Shibs live. They have gorgeous blade control and are usually smooth as silk.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    ITA. One has to see the Shibs live. They have gorgeous blade control and are usually smooth as silk.
    I think they have the best blades in Canton.

vCash
    I think they have the best blades in Canton.
    Maia?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    The problem with the Shibs isn't that they are siblings, or not being voidy enough or whatever, it's the simple fact that they don't generate the power per push of the blade that any other team in the top 10 can.
    The Shibs are amazing technicians and skaters, indeed far better technicians than "interpreters" at this point. Their speed, ice coverage and edges are all of superior quality, so I am rather confused by your assessment of power as their weakness.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast