Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    That was a time when I was devouring everything on the FSU related to ice dance and especially to I/K, yet I have read nothing about their taking a vacation when the Tokyo Worlds were cancelled. I remember the interview with Tarasova where she said they had been given too long a vacation during the previous summer, not between the two dates for the worlds.

Besides, Zhulin is very unlikely to disparage his star Russian team only weeks before the Moscow worlds. He comes from a generation of ice dancers for whom appearances were everything.

If anyone else remembers such interviews or if you can give a link, then I'll believe it, but otherwise such surprising information could hardly fall under the radar.

This is not to say that I/K's work ethics are immaculate - actually I've "heard" that she is not the hardest worker. However, this doesn't mean we should start urban legends about the extents of the problem.
    Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emilieh View Post
    AFAIK, Peter Gerber is skating with someone named Justyna, so I suppose it's the Justyna you've mentioned. I heard that they were training with Igor at some point, although I hadn't heard if it was a permanent move.
    From what I have heard, he is skating with Justyna Plutowska:
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010546.htm

I am surprised there were no better options for him available on Ice Partner Search.

Plutowska is a Polish citizen but she is the skater who got a partner and training conditions arranged in Moscow but left after the first day because the training was too hard.

vCash
    Cross-posting this new article on Zoueva's teams in Canton:
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    According to this article, Oleg Epstein is working with Marina Zoueva on choreography for team Canton.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpts:

... And at Canton's Arctic Edge, Fusar-Poli's former partner, Maurizio Margaglio, has been schooling Marina Zoueva's teams in the Yankee Polka, the required pattern in this season's short dance.

"The biggest challenge for the teams is the compulsories (pattern dances), and I called Maurizio because he has great knowledge of compulsories and has done a lot of ISU seminars," Zoueva said. "He can come only from time to time, because he also has a contract with the Finnish skating federation."

[Charlie] White added that an initial report suggesting the top Canton ice dancers had requested Shpilband's ouster was not accurate.

"Unfortunately, the first newspaper article in the Detroit Free Press was very incorrect," he said. "The author never interviewed us and we never said what was attributed to us there. We still adore Igor and we are very grateful for all of the work he did for us over many years."

Davis stressed that whatever differences Zoueva and Shpilband may have had, they remained professional during sessions with the skaters.

"We had felt before that there were tensions between them, but that did not affect our training," she said. "We made the decision to stay with Marina because she has done more of our choreography lately, and she stayed in Canton."

In addition to Margaglio, Oleg Epstein, the Chicago-based choreographer and coach, is working on a near full-time basis in Canton, helping Zoueva plan programs and elements. While he will return to Chicago on occasion, some of his students, including U.S. junior champion Gracie Gold, will visit him in Canton.

ETA: There are also quotes by the Shibutanis and Tessa Virtue about their coaches' split.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Lurrrrrrrrrrve how "THE STARE" is the image they use for F-P/M in the IceNetwork article.

vCash
    Barbara vs. Maurizuo through ice dance students? Talk about a fan's dream.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Lurrrrrrrrrrve how "THE STARE" is the image they use for F-P/M in the IceNetwork article.
    I love the softer eye joke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    All I remember was Nikita complaining that Zhulin wasn't around enough for their coaching & claiming that they had to work out lifts by looking at other skaters on youtube, and Zhulin countering with general comments about them not always having a great work ethic. You may be confusing his comments with TAT's earlier in the season about them having too much of a break over the summer before the 2010-11 season, but as I said before, that was largely due to Nikita's back problems.
    This is entirely correct and a very common occurrence where info is blended to create a wrong impression about someones disliked skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    This is entirely correct and a very common occurrence where info is blended to create a wrong impression about someones disliked skaters.
    It's entirely incorrect to assume anyone who posts something negative about a skater, dislikes that skater. Just because you like a skater, it's quite possible to be disappointed in some aspect of their personality or style but still like the skater.

I was a huge fan of one skater in particular who had a notoriously bad work ethic. I knew this was the root of this skater's inconsistency, and while I wished said skater had worked harder throughout their competitive career, it never happened. Oh what might have been.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post

I was a huge fan of one skater in particular who had a notoriously bad work ethic. I knew this was the root of this skater's inconsistency, and while I wished said skater had worked harder throughout their competitive career, it never happened. Oh what might have been.
    Eman?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Eman?
    That was my guess too.

He broke my heart more often than any man I ever dated.
    Last edited by kimkom; 08-15-2012 at 12:42 AM.

vCash
    Eman?
    It couldn't be any more obvious, innit.

vCash

Plutowska/Gerber?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yep, Baily Carroll has quit skating last Winter, IIRC.

Peter Gerber might be training with Justyna Plutowska at the moment. I'm not sure if I can recognise her on that photo, though. If they are together and training with Shpilband, that would be amazing news.
    Picture in that profile... that's Peter with Baily in 2010; Baily quit at the end of September, last year.
    Peter has been training with Justyna for about 8 months now, back in Poland and now in the US. They are with Igor and plan to stay there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by POZNANIANKA View Post
    Picture in that profile... that's Peter with Baily in 2010; Baily quit at the end of September, last year.
    Peter has been training with Justyna for about 8 months now, back in Poland and now in the US. They are with Igor and plan to stay there.
    That is really awesome news! Thanks.

vCash
    Article on Isabella Tobias and Deividas Stagniunas:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/08/t...-to-challenge/
    The were part of the famous dance stable of Marina Zueva and Igor Shpilband in Canton, Mich. and naturally were affected by the split of the coaches that happened while they were on vacation. The dancers weighed their options and decided to go with Shpilband to Novi, Mich.

“We honestly just felt that Igor would be able to provide more of what we needed as a team,” commented Tobias. “Igor and Marina’s split was just devastating for everyone though, especially the skaters. We miss everyone at Canton every day.”

Stagniunas still has ties to Canton as he teaches there.

Meanwhile, the skaters have adapted to their new training environment and enjoy the company of Madison Chock and Evan Bates, Ekaterina Riazanova and Ilia Tkachenko, and Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte. Tanja Kolbe and Stefano Caruso have also joined them for a couple of weeks.

“Training is going extremely well in Novi,” said Tobias. “Both Deividas and I relocated here to be closer to the rink. It’s a very international rink.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It couldn't be any more obvious, innit.
    And you would be wrong. It was NOT Sandu.

vCash
    Eman?

Mabee??

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Is it a Canadian skater? My first thought was Nicole Bobek.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Can we use a land-line or phone a friend?

vCash
    Anyone Canadian.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920