Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Paul McIntosh developed Virtue & Moir and Andrew Poje. Their strong technical basics, edge quality, unison and partnering skills are all to his credit. Similarly, McIntosh coached Andrew Poje from an early age until he teamed with Kaitlyn Weaver and moved to Detroit.

I always thought that Igor's teams were technically weak, especially in the CD's, and this is one area that really improved since he teamed with Zueva.
    Exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    I have NEVER known Natalia to tell someone to gain weight. EVER. Get stronger and increase muscle, maybe.
    What should give them an edge this time, Belbin said, is something she would have never dreamed could help them: her newly found muscles and curves.

She can thank one of her coaches, Natalia Linichuk, for that...

Linichuk took one look at the 5-foot-6, 105-pound Belbin and said, “You need to gain 10 pounds.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/sp...cedancers.html

vCash
    I was re-watching the Short dance competition from Worlds in Nice (recorded from the Bold channel). During one of the ice resurfacing breaks, a brief spotlight bio of Marina and Igor was televised. Interviews with Meryl/Charlie and Marina/Igor were included. Igor indicated they have different strengths, which complement each other. He said they try to let each other use those strengths to the fullest extent. Marina nodded yes. In answer to a question regarding whether they could they have achieved their success without the other, Igor said he didn't think so. Their success was due to their collaboration. Marina said she didn't think it could happen separated.

...odd watching that interview, now knowing how events unfolded.

vCash
    Hey Check out Icenetwork!!!

Title-less
    vCash
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

So the Vbet can be settled. Igor keeping Chock/Bates

vCash
    "Shpilband moving to Novi [Michigan], bringing Chock and Bates": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Coated specialized in blade skills and compulsory dances. Shpliband's forte as a technical coach is point-getting elements, and until the judges scores reflect lack of line, toe-point, turnout, finish, unison, and ease of the blade, then the Shpilband brand of technique will be more important than the Coated brand of techniqu
    Depressing, I think. Basic skating skills should have equal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    The problem is more that Marina and Igor couldn't really figure out what to do with a sibling team, and I hope the Shibs will eventually find someone who can.
    Just responding to the sibling thing, I have heard it from several officials and coaches that sibling teams don't feel right at a certain age.

I always thought that Igor's teams were technically weak, especially in the CD's, and this is one area that really improved since he teamed with Zueva.
    I totally agree.

L&T were very slow and their CD's always got them off to a bad start. Similarly B&A were weak in the CD's compared to the European teams. Linichuk greatly improved their speed, basic stroking and blade precision.
    Yes, but in addition to not giving them great choreography, they lost the Igor politick factor.
    Last edited by cruisin; 06-13-2012 at 01:12 AM.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    "Shpilband moving to Novi [Michigan], bringing Chock and Bates": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    That's great news! Love this team and hope this will be a great opportunity for them to shine!!!!!
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Had to google skating club of Novi...not much on their site. Can anyone tell us more about the rink, club, geographic location?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Had to google skating club of Novi...not much on their site. Can anyone tell us more about the rink, club, geographic location?
    http://www.noviicearena.com/page/show/411366-contact

http://www.noviicearena.com/page/sho...g-club-of-novi
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ No info on any other coaches ho teach there. But, I suppose Igor will draw on his own. Novi must be thrilled.

vCash
    "My experience in Canton has been nothing but positive"

among all the PR formulas, this is the worst one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    2 sheets of ice in a suburban area near some major highways. Typical skating club and LTS to skate program - they usually host a couple of club competitions every year. Arena is about 15 years old and has lots of hockey too (it is located on Nick Lidstrom Drive, if that tells you anything.)

At Arctic, the dance program was not strongly tied to the fsc, I think (note we never really heard anything from the Arctic FSC.) I expect it will be the same at Novi. Don't most senior skaters represent their original club anyway? Detroit Skate Club (and to a lesser extent Ann Arbor) are the few powerhouse clubs left in the area with giant Board of Directors, payroll, etc.

Interestingly, Greg Zuerlein coaches a few days a week at Novi.

vCash
    It's interesting that Chock and Bates decided to move with him. I think it might work to their advantage as they'll probably get more individual attention without the other, stronger teams like V/M and D/W around.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I think he started coaching Madison Chock when she was in Intermediate. When he started working with Charlotte Lichtman, she was at the Junior level, but she was new to ice dance.
    And that's pretty typical for ice dance. There are very few ice dance teams at the juvenile and intermediate level to the point that most years most, if not all, of them go to Junior Nationals because there are more slots than there are teams.

Many skaters don't go into ice dance until they are pretty advanced in the test structure for singles skating and moves in the field and they often jump into ice dance at the Junior and sometimes even Senior level.

There are a fair number of Novice teams and that's the first level where you don't just automatically go to Nationals because sometimes some sections have more teams than slots. But it's kind of crazy the number of teams that start ice dancing in the summer and are at Sectionals in the Fall competing at the Junior level. (Well, it seems crazy to me. )

I would say, based on how ice dance works in the US, and based on what other coaches do, that Shpilband has definitely been a developmental coach particularly when he first started out (in the late 90s).
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    I have NEVER known Natalia to tell someone to gain weight. EVER. Get stronger and increase muscle, maybe.
    I've read in an interview with Tanith that Linichuk told her right away that she had to gain ten pounds. Tanith said that Linichuk explained to her this would help even with the lifts, because she would be able to support herself rather than be carried about by Ben (paraphrasing of course.) Indeed Belbin looked healthier when the competitive season started and their speed on the ice - among other things - was so much better. It's a pity she seemed to be underweight during her formative years.

vCash
    Well wasn't everyone saying Madison was Igor's fave?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    Jo-Ann Barnas is leaving DFP…now who is going to cover all the drama on weekends in Michigan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Jo-Ann Barnas is leaving DFP…now who is going to cover all the drama on weekends in Michigan
    your source?

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast