Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Procrastination Nation

My other thread about wills got me wondering about those other pesky things in life that you know you should do, but you endlessly put off doing. I'm not talking about "bucket list" items (like skydiving or traveling abroad). I'm talking about those things that you know are ultimately a benefit that you just never take the time to do.

Mine are:

- Clip coupons. I know there's both the coupons that come with the Sunday paper and online coupons. Do I clip? Nope. Even though I know there are potential for savings, I just don't do it.

- Reduce my dependency on bottled water. This one irritates me to no end. I want to do the Brita filters, but just haven't done it yet!

- Shop for better insurance. I think it's because I live in a duplex and the master insurance is shared between my neighbor and me. So for convenience purposes I do my car insurance with the same company. But I bet if I did my homework I could find a better deal for home and auto insurance. Then I would just need my neighbor to buy in.

What are some of yours?

ETA: Oh, and Vonage. That's another thing I always want to look into but haven't yet. I do the Comcast bundle for cable, internet and phone. I'd cut the phone altogether, but I'm paranoid about only relying on my cell. Still, there's probably a more cost effective approach than the bundle.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I have some shelving units for my home that I can't figure out. So that means after moving into my new home in November of 2010, half of my stuff (which I really don't need) is still in boxes.

I need to make a spreadsheet to track the stocks my Mom (and Dad before he passed) suggested I buy. One stock my Mom suggested kept falling and I believe is now worth one penny a share. But because I'm not really sure how to set up the spreadsheet, I keep putting it off. (I guess I assumed Mom would tell me if a stock she suggested was dropping...this lets you know what kind of investor I am!!)

I searched a bunch of stuff online and copied into an MS Word file (house-sitting, exercising at home, making a will, etc.). I added those files to my "To Read" folder. And I will read them. Someday.

I have started writing four film scripts. Yes, I started, yup, for sure. Completing them? That's a good suggestion!

I finally caulked the bathtub after a year or more of procrastination. But some of the caulking is coming loose. So I need to hire somebody to do it for me properly. Yup, that's a task that needs to be done. Sure does........
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    - Reduce my dependency on bottled water. This one irritates me to no end. I want to do the Brita filters, but just haven't done it yet!
    DON'T BUY BRITA. Seriously, just say no! I bought a Brita on-tap faucet filter, and the thing was the biggest PITA of my entire life. It just wouldn't stay on the faucet no matter what I did. I thought I'd bought a fault one, so I looked it up, but no, it's a really common problem. Just start to tap in "Brita filter won't" and the next 10 fill-in answer are all variations on 'stay on faucet', and there are thousands of threads on this. The washer doesn't have enough ridges to actually hold the heavy filter to the faucet, which means you will pay to get one that will.

I eventually just threw the thing in the recycling after spending a morning cussing at it for the 1000th time and went out and bought a Pur water filter instead. It was much easier to get on the tap, actually stayed on, and the water tasted way better. I will never buy Brita again and will always, always go with Pur. Always.

vCash
    I need to change the water filter for my refrigerator badly - water comes out tasting funny and so do ice cubes. No idea how to do it or where to start. I could probably just go into Lowes and ask but

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For those who want to stop using bottled water and can't stand the taste of filtered water like Brita (), I highly recommend engaging a water service.

I get three large jugs delivered every 6-8 weeks at a fraction of what I used to spend on bottled water, not to mention the environment issue. The company provides a delivery schedule and handy reminder calls, so all you do is call in when you are on your last jug, leave the three empties outside your door, and they deliver three new ones. I bought the cooler rather than renting it and it paid for itself long ago. The water is spring water from nearby, rather than the filtered crap like Dasani and Aquafina or water that comes from Europe or who knows where.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    DON'T BUY BRITA. Seriously, just say no! I bought a Brita on-tap faucet filter, and the thing was the biggest PITA of my entire life. It just wouldn't stay on the faucet no matter what I did. I thought I'd bought a fault one, so I looked it up, but no, it's a really common problem. Just start to tap in "Brita filter won't" and the next 10 fill-in answer are all variations on 'stay on faucet', and there are thousands of threads on this. The washer doesn't have enough ridges to actually hold the heavy filter to the faucet, which means you will pay to get one that will.

I eventually just threw the thing in the recycling after spending a morning cussing at it for the 1000th time and went out and bought a Pur water filter instead. It was much easier to get on the tap, actually stayed on, and the water tasted way better. I will never buy Brita again and will always, always go with Pur. Always.
    My husband contacted Brita about that and they sent a replacement washer for free. Since that was over 2 years ago, I would assume that the problem has been corrected for new filters by now.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I need to change the water filter for my refrigerator badly - water comes out tasting funny and so do ice cubes. No idea how to do it or where to start. I could probably just go into Lowes and ask but
    Uh, me too.

I have minor home repairs sitting there undone. For two years, no over-the-stove light because the creeps that make the built-in microwave wired it so that only they (GE) can come in and replace the stupid light bulbs. I even ordered a new fuse from GE and had a friend take the microwave out and replace it and that didn't work either.

And my balcony screen door has to be replaced.

Also I don't have a will.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    My husband contacted Brita about that and they sent a replacement washer for free. Since that was over 2 years ago, I would assume that the problem has been corrected for new filters by now.
    I bought mine within the past 2 years, probably a year and a half ago. I called them a few months later when it was a persistent problem and was told they no longer sent out free washers. Maybe they've fixed it in the past year, but Pur was a better filter in every single way: better tasting water, easier to put on the faucet, easier to fix, and more attractive, at roughly the same price. I would never recommend Brita to anyone.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    the beneficiaries on my 401k are dead
    i need an eye exam
    i should move
    my treadmill either needs a new mat or i need to get rid of it
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Let me see:

-A ton of stuff to sell on ebay (furniture, records, camera equipment)

-Finding out whether the broken string of pearls given to me by my grandmother are actually worth anything and should be fixed. I've been carting them around since I was a teenager.

-Resolving the dog and cat/couch conflict with either another couch or commissioning a seamstress to make cushions for the existing one

-Phoning a far-away friend I have been promising to phone for two years

-Filing several years of financial information

-Throwing out all of my cassette tapes except the few I matter (and transferring those to CD somehow)

-Go shopping for some stuff that needs to be replaced around the house.

But all of this never gets done because a ton of other stuff gets in the way, such as:

-I need a camera to take pictures of the stuff I want to sell and the camera is broken (second digital one to go in about a year)

-We can't get a PC to TV converter that works, and we need it for some shows we've got on the computer and figure skating probably in future. Mr. Japanfan has invested about a week of time on this already.

-My car has several new problems, like the horn doesn't work.

-Mr. Japanfan's car developed several new problems which occupied him fully for three days.

-We need to refinish a pine table and chest.

- Any shopping venture takes an entire day.

- I'm behind on day-to-day stuff all the time, like housecleaning. And transferring my figure skating videos to DVD.

I did call another friend I wanted to reconnect with yesterday, though. And I did buy a new pair of sandals in under one hour. So perhaps there is some hope in this mire of stuff to get done.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Cleaning closets and drawers is probably the most practical thing I keep putting off, but the really dear things I want to do before it's too late are:

-Finish my children's book I'm writing for my grandsons. I'm calling it "Tall Tales and Family Fables." I have collected funny and sweet stories about our family-going all the way back to the Civil War, and including everyone on my side of the family....like my grandad who had a pig that played baseball, stuff like that. I have about 15 stories, and it isn't all sweetness and light! I'm trying to be a bit wry and funny. Not gooey. The problem isn't writing - that comes easy. But I also wanted to draw some illustrations. I can draw, but it's not as easy as writing!

-Along that line, I have inside my brain a young adult novel about my GGGrandmother who escaped from Sherman's Army during the Battle of Atlanta in "the last boxcar" out of Kennesaw, GA, with her 12 year old brother, invalid mother, and all their earthly belongings. She had some adventures during Resconstruction Atlanta that she passed down, and she eventually eloped with a 35 year old Captain of Confederate Cavalry - in the middle of the night through the kitchen window. She was 15. They had 8 children, mostly boys-all who were named for American Presidents, which I find fascinating for a Confederate soldier Dad. I have their photo-Dad Jack Hawkins all huge mustaches and tiny Mother Laura looking very serious, surrounding by kids.

-Finish my murder mystery. It's got good characters but the plot is too convoluted. I threw everything into it and it needs serious editing. I'm on the second draft.

However, between my job at the ballet where we're building a new huge studio and expanding, and my mother with dementia, time is not a commodity I have.

vCash
    - I too have a phone/web/cable bundle and it's not worth getting rid of the phone because it's like $10 a month and basically comes for free in the bundle as the just web/cable packages about he same price as the bundle.

- I too have a Britta filter jug, as it was a gift. It doesn't pop off the faucet. I've been using it daily for a year and have never had a problem. Sorry to hear its been a problem for others.

I can't think of any one off things I'm procrastinating. The things I'm currently avoiding are continuous ongoing things that just get exhausting... Like constantly having to take classes to keep up a professional license I barely use. There have been plenty of times that im totally on top of it, and other times where I fall behind.

vCash
    A jug or a faucet filter? A jug makes me think you have the re-fillable pitcher with the filter in it, which I also had at one point and which works perfectly fine.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I've been meaning to shop around for new car insurance. I finally did and now I'm myself for not having done it sooner because I just saved $800 per year with Geico. And ya know, it really WAS so easy that even *I* could do it.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I need to remove and clean the filter in my Dyson vacuum. It's not difficult at all, but do I ever do it? Noooooo...

I also have a load of VHS tapes that I either need to get rid of, or transfer to DVD, but do I ever get around to doing that? Noooooo...

My basement looks like the dropping-off point for the Salvation Army. I have had PLENTY of time lately to clean and organize it, but have I? No waaaaay...

Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    ---redecorate my bedroom--I have the color scheme/ lighting/ arrangement all in my head and I just need to do it...

---I collect Christmas ornaments. I need to make sure all are wrapped in acid-free tissue paper and are properly labeled. I also need to show the JustBreen archives to my insurance agent so she has an idea of value in case of a fire, tornado whatever...

---hire a chimney sweep

vCash
    Finish my thesis.... ughhhhhh! I have been procrastinating for days now and I only have a week left till due date. I must.get.on.it.

vCash
    I would like to add my list but - well maybe later.....

vCash
    I need to paint my living room/kitchen, bit I don't want to do it...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I need to clean up the mess I left when I moved in to the current house in the backyard. I never let any visitors go see there.
    I have to call in for the air-purifier filter service but for no reason I just forget that every day.
    Getting my butt off the chair and bed and doing some serious work-outs. I've been tired all this semester long.
    I need to back-up my computer files but never do. I've been thinking about this for like four years now and I'm using HDD-too-expensive-for-now as a reason for procrastinating still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast