Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Congress

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Any official information about 2013 WCh?
    Answered by pani in the Virtue/Moir thread in the Trash Can today:
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    http://www.skatebuzz.ca/ViewNewsArti...2-cf75cebff653
    Single Event Ticket On-Sale Date Delayed for 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championship

“We know people have been anticipating the sale of single event tickets, and we do apologize for this delay,” said William Thompson, Skate Canada’s CEO. “In fairness to our fans, we feel that until we have the final decisions from the ISU on the schedule, it would be inappropriate to put the single event tickets on sale.”

Thompson continued, “We are looking forward to hosting these championships next March in London, Ontario, Canada, and seeing the best skaters in the world competing here in 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/...601164864.html

Alexander Gorshkov says they are:
    "Initially, minimum age limitations were to come into force immediately. But we made an amendment that it starts in 2014 as well."
    So this means Julia Lipnitskaia CAN compete on the Senior Grand Prix this season? Her photo caption in the article seems to say that.

The end of the Russian article linked above also says that skating the free program in reverse order of the short program rankings at Worlds (all ISU Championships?) was defeated.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-15-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sorry I assumed that the changes will be effective immediately but yes in this case Julia can compete next season.

I think the 'no going back to Junior' rule hasn't been put up for a vote yet.

vCash
    I'm hoping they don't pass lowering the max age for junior dance and pairs (from 20-21 for guys).
    * Ice-dance.com *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Aren't the changes effective starting 2014?
    Yes, since 2014/2015 season after Sochi Olympics. Lipnitskaya should be at GP 2012.

The senior/junior thing was (after heavy discussion in both figure and speed skating branches) withdrawned form the Congress minutes finally by the ISU Council itself (as per my ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The following changes have been passed today:

- Novice maximum age for Pairs/Dance lowered to 'not have yet reached 15/17'
    Ziggy, this one is actually better than it was this season when boys "have not yet reached 15" as girls so there were nearly no Novice pairs and Ice Dance events anywhere or the organizers had to change the "ISU rules" in the announcements or organized so called Novice B events where the ISU age rules did not apply.

vCash
    I think the 'no going back to Junior' rule hasn't been put up for a vote yet.
    this one is the biggest problem of all and should be implemented immediately

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Australia's Worlds were hijacked to France using an excuse, so don't you blame them.

You were to young to make sense of it at the time.
    The reason Worlds were moved, was that Australia did not obtain the contractually required TV contract. There was no hijack, as France did not realy want the event on such short notice. In the end they did a good job.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    - Senior minimum age is now 15 for all events (so no more 14 year olds at the GP; Lipnitskaya will have to return to the JGP)
    Consistent age limits!

Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    The senior/junior thing was (after heavy discussion in both figure and speed skating branches) withdrawned form the Congress minutes finally by the ISU Council itself (as per my ).
    Because Olympians should totally be allowed to keep going back to JW.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    Really? Has that ever happened?

IMo such decisions should be left to national federations. Why should the ISU try to regulate whom they will send to an event, as long as the skaters are age eligible?

vCash
    Yes. Gedevanishvili and Denis Ten.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash

IMo such decisions should be left to national federations. Why should the ISU try to regulate whom they will send to an event, as long as the skaters are age eligible?
    Denis Ten.

I understand the federation's rights argument, but I can't help finding it as well.

vCash

Because its unfair to ask a Junior to skate against an established Senior in a Junior competition.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Because its unfair to ask a Junior to skate against an established Senior in a Junior competition.
    Under ISU rules, a junior is defined according to their age and not whether they have competed in a senior event.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's what they were trying, but failed, to change.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    "Established" is really the key word. I have no problem with a skater from a small federation who placed 23rd at Worlds wanting to go back to junior worlds, especially if there's no one else in their country to take that spot. The ISU minimum score rule is already there to ensure that the skater is at an adequate level to compete at a championship.

It is ridiculous when skaters who have been to the Olympics, medaled at senior GP/GPF, or placed top 10 at Worlds return to juniors, though. I would create some kind of milestone before you become ineligible for juniors.... like competing in a certain number of senior GP or championships or getting a certain result.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Denis Ten.

I understand the federation's rights argument, but I can't help finding it as well.
    I don't find it for Denis Ten to attempt to win a medal at an ISU championships. You never know if he'll ever win a senior medal and even a junior medal would have been a huge thing for the Kazakhstan federation.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    That's what they were trying, but failed, to change.
    I realise that.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I don't find it for Denis Ten to attempt to win a medal at an ISU championships. You never know if he'll ever win a senior medal and even a junior medal would have been a huge thing for the Kazakhstan federation.
    But he had how many opportunities? I get that it would be huge for them and get why for someone like Kazakhstan it would a great move.

But then there's the example of Sui/Han.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    Examples from the 1990s:

Krisztina Czako competed at 1992 and 1994 Olympics and (medaled) at 1994 and 1995 Junior Worlds.

Zuzanna Szwed 1992 Olympics, 1994 and 95 JW
    Viktoria Dimitrova 1992 Olympics, 1994 JW
    Ludmila Ivanova 1994 Olympics, 1996 JW
    Julia Sebestyen 1998 Olympics, 1999 JW
    Julia Lautowa 1998 Olympics, 2000 JW (this was controversial at the time since it was her last year of eligibility, and she'd actually started competing at JW back when she was 12, before the current age limits)

Kyu-Hyun Lee 1998 Olympics, 1999 JW

Also Zhang/Zhang 2002 Olympics, 2003 JW

But I haven't compared all the sources.

vCash
    If a skater can do both Junior and Senior and places well at both they have the ability to change World rankings in a way the a Senior only skater is not able to. Kind of an unfair advantage.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast