Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Congress

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Are you going to organise it?
    Please note use of smiley.

I would love to see it happen, but I don't think it would. I would be volunteering in a flash though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If Skate Canada has to provide the accommodations for all the skaters, who would normally be eliminated, that is a lot more expensive.

If they have already contracted ice time, that they are now obligated to pay for, they will have to do that without recouping money from ticket sales. Except I can't imagine you'd make more than three dollars from preliminary ticket sales- who would go? I bet almost all the people are on all event tickets or comped.
    OK, I get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

I would love to see it happen, but I don't think it would. I would be volunteering in a flash though.
    It would be great if Australia were able to host a Worlds after being robbed in 2000. However, with the current economic situation, the only way many other federations could afford to take their teams all the way to Australia is probably by putting them on a raft a month in advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    It would be great if Australia were able to host a Worlds after being robbed in 2000. However, with the current economic situation, the only way many other federations could afford to take their teams all the way to Australia is probably by putting them on a raft a month in advance.
    i laughed at raft

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes, book rate.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    You're right...it'd be okay for the bigger federations, but some of the smaller European ones might miss out...although I can't imagine it'd be hugely more exspensive than flying to north America?

#australiawuzrobbed

vCash
    You're right...it'd be okay for the bigger federations, but some of the smaller European ones might miss out...although I can't imagine it'd be hugely more exspensive than flying to north America?

#australiawuzrobbed
    It's about triple the price from where I am.

Those who shall never see Australia wuzrobbed.

vCash

Great you can come and volunteer at Nationals when they are held in Melbourne next. You can do the 6.00am practise sessions.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Where is the evidence that the TV networks liked having to schedule two finals on a Saturday instead of one, when so many other sports are competing for these slots? It seems like an extra difficulty!

The media was a big part of the reason for the changes happening in the first place, if I understand it correctly.

With the preliminaries, the skaters who ended up qualifying actually used more ice time and stayed longer in their hotels. And the judges had to stay longer as well.
    Canada fought hard for the Preliminaries not to be scrapped arguing that lack of them would mean 9-10 hours more ice time would be needed and that it would make organising Worlds much more expensive in general, meaning they would be now impossible to finance.

I don't know any more details, unfortunately. We'd have to ask Skate Canada.

As Morry Stillwell posted, less money from entry fees is probably a factor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    TAHbKA, whatever about skaters from Israel and India, the skater from Ireland is actually from Ireland. Iceland don't send skaters to Euros or Worlds for some reason.

I can only speak from my own country's perspective, but the Irish federation is honestly making efforts to develop skating as a sport here. But with no government funding, it is a real struggle. The fact that one of our skaters made it to the top 30 of Worlds this year is a huge success.

The sport is already heavily weighted in favour of the bigger nations. Europeans, 4CC and Worlds are all the majority of nations have in terms of their athletes competing on a global stage and getting local media exposure for the sport. If you take the right of all nations to field competitors at World, you will be left with USA/Canada/Japan/Russia/China/France and it will severely stunt the sport in all the other countries.

Think about Spain or Korea - who would have thought we would have top competitors from either of these nations ten years ago? It's because skaters in those countries had Worlds at the very least to aim for that there was motivation for them and their federations to develop.

And nobody is forcing you to sit through 50 lousy skaters you know. Just show up for the ones you're interested in.
    This can't be stressed enough.

TLDR version: Unless skaters aren't given opportunities to at least perform at the big events, skating programs in smaller countries are never going to develop.

Well if Canada don't want it, I'm sure Australia could put on a kickass Worlds! (
    Yeah, last time you got them, it was such a roaring success.

Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I think for the minimum score for ISU Championships the ISU needs the approval of the congress (unlike for the Grand Prix). Obviously the same federations with weaker skaters that voted out the preliminaries never would agree to a high minimum score that eliminates their skaters from the beginning.
    Are you sure?

Because I think what is going to happen now is ISU Council pushing higher minimum scores behind everybody's backs so that ISU Championships can happen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Why would any fewer skaters enter the SP/SD than would enter the prelims?
    The TV contracts are already signed in advance for the next two seasons I think, so the ISU championships need to happen in a 4 day format.

There isn't enough time to let everybody skate SP/SD.

So there doesn't seem to be any other solution now, other than drastically cutting the number of the skaters who can actually compete.

vCash
    The following changes have been passed today:

- Novice maximum age for Singles lowered by 1 year

- Novice maximum age for Pairs/Dance lowered to 'not have yet reached 15/17'

- Senior minimum age is now 15 for all events (so no more 14 year olds at the GP; Lipnitskaya will have to return to the JGP)

A lot of feds are going to be pissed off about the Novice changes, once again, not particularly well played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    - Senior minimum age is now 15 for all events (so no more 14 year olds at the GP; Lipnitskaya will have to return to the JGP)
    This is sensible. It's about time the age was consistent.

No news on the rule about turning Senior and not going back? Or has that one been ditched?

vCash
    Yeah, last time you got them, it was such a roaring success.
    Australia's Worlds were hijacked to France using an excuse, so don't you blame them.

You were to young to make sense of it at the time.

vCash
    I wish they'd go back to the rule that Junior Worlds medalists are exempted from the age qualification requirements for senior competition, or at least that the Junior World Champions were.

vCash

A lot of feds are going to be pissed off about the Novice changes, once again, not particularly well played.

When do the age maximum/minimums come into play?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I wish they'd go back to the rule that Junior Worlds medalists are exempted from the age qualification requirements for senior competition, or at least that the Junior World Champions were.
    this was what I had in mind too
    I wonder why nobody proposed to it ?

vCash
    Australia's Worlds were hijacked to France using an excuse, so don't you blame them.

You were to young to make sense of it at the time.
    There were issues with tv contracts or Australia failing to get proper coverage of the event, no?

Quote Originally Posted by kates8 View Post
    When do the age maximum/minimums come into play?
    From next season, if I understand it correctly.

vCash

Ziggy - did they vote down the proposal to change the junior ages or has that not come up yet?
    * Ice-dance.com *

vCash
    Aren't the changes effective starting 2014?

vCash
    Thanks for the update, Ziggy.

vCash
    http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/...601164864.html

Alexander Gorshkov says they are:

Initially, minimum age limitations were to come into force immediately. But we made an amendment that it starts in 2014 as well.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast