Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Congress

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    Also, I have a hear´say info the Canadians (after the passing of no more prelims) went to ISU they would be supposedly giving the Worlds 2013 back as impossible to finance. Anyone other who can confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by drfj View Post
    I have heard the same about Canadians.
    I'm sorry - are you saying that the Worlds that are supposed to be held in Canada in 2013 may not be held there? That the Canadians are trying to to give them back, to not hold them in Canada, as they could not get financing?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Last time the Swiss federation threatened to not host Euros if prelims weren't aproved, and if the rumours are true that skate Canada wouldn't host 2013 worlds if prelims are gone then who else would volunteer???.. We could be looking at Worlds being host every year at Japan just like WTT :S

I did like the prelims. It felt more like a real competition where skaters had to qualify for the main event instead of really really weak skaters just being there because their federations are ISU members. And like someone said, I'd rather do a long trip and peform my Long program instead of a short. Anyways, Im not a skater so Im not sure how they genuinely feel about this topic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Last time the Swiss federation threatened to not host Euros if prelims weren't aproved, and if the rumours are true that skate Canada wouldn't host 2013 worlds if prelims are gone then who else would volunteer???.. We could be looking at Worlds being host every year at Japan just like WTT :S

I did like the prelims. It felt more like a real competition where skaters had to qualify for the main event instead of really really weak skaters just being there because their federations are ISU members. And like someone said, I'd rather do a long trip and peform my Long program instead of a short. Anyways, Im not a skater so Im not sure how they genuinely feel about this topic.
    To eliminate the preliminary was a very bad urgent proposal,made by a small federation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    I did like the prelims. It felt more like a real competition where skaters had to qualify for the main event instead of really really weak skaters just being there because their federations are ISU members.
    But some weak skaters did not have to qualify because of the performance of their teammates in the previous year. The playing field wasn't level at all.

It wouldn't be that bad if direct entries were tied to particular skaters and not federations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

It wouldn't be that bad if direct entries were tied to particular skaters and not federations.
    But that would raise other issues. At Nationals federations might try to let the skater win who qualified a place instead of the more deserving other skater for instance.

vCash
    The ISU doesn't care how inconvenient any changes might be for those who have already made plans.
    I'm afraid that's the only thing we can be sure about!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    The ISU doesn't care how inconvenient any changes might be for those who have already made plans.
    Don't blame 'the ISU' in this instance (if you're referring to Preliminary Rounds).

It was a national federation submitting the proposal and the national federations voting in favour of it.

vCash
    Ah, I really liked the preliminaries, more skating and time to get into competition mood. And for the skaters a real chance to impress judges. Also a treat: seeing previously retired guys like Pluschenko alongside weaker skaters, and of course: a free skate always shows more of a skater's potential than a short on which everything depends.
    But the skaters are happy that prelims are gone, at least Valentina Marchei's twitter says so...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Preliminaries are gone.
    THANK YOU JESUS
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drfj View Post
    The other way is by the ISU to cut the numbers ,is to fix a high minimum score to take part in the Championships.And this is not a very good thing for the small federations.
    Yep, the smaller federations have really threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Whilst I was initially very happy to see preliminaries gone, most likely this is what is going to happen now as a result.

And if it does, then smaller federations won't even be able to enter any skaters to ISU Championships...

Really badly played.

vCash
    You must give the smaller federations some credit for deciding what's best for them.

vCash

Whilst I was initially very happy to see preliminaries gone, most likely this is what is going to happen now as a result.

And if it does, then smaller federations won't even be able to enter any skaters to ISU Championships...

Really badly played.
    It comes back to the whole argument about what qualifies a skater to go to worlds. Really there are some skaters who by virtue that they a members of the ISU get to go to a Worlds, even if they are not World standard.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    You must give the smaller federations some credit for deciding what's best for them.
    It looks like "the mob effect" has taken place and they did something without thinking it through at all.

As much as I hated the Preliminary Rounds, having them is definitely better - both for the small federations and for us - to the situation that we might end up with now, with skaters from smaller federations not being able to compete at ISU Championships at all.

And I wonder what's going to happen about 2013 Worlds. Japan will take them?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It comes back to the whole argument about what qualifies a skater to go to worlds. Really there are some skaters who by virtue that they a members of the ISU get to go to a Worlds, even if they are not World standard.
    I think that is the idea of having an Olympic, 'amateur' sport.

Plus, smaller federations have to start somewhere.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    How is eliminating prelims to their advantage? Do they think the ISU Council won't do something else they control -- like raise the minimum scores/criteria -- to lower the number of participants and costs?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    How is eliminating prelims to their advantage?
    I guess they thought that we would now be back to Short Program in two parts, like before.

But that is definitely not going to happen due to financial constraints, tv contracts, etc.

vCash
    The only thing I care about is going back to the Tue-Sat schedule and not having the 2 finals on Saturday. I hope that changes now that theyve ditched the qualies. Mind you, I am assuming that wont be the case for the 2013 season, as the tickets and dates for the championships are already sold and set.

vCash
    And I wonder what's going to happen about 2013 Worlds. Japan will take them?

If it's true that Canada is looking to dump them, my hope is that Japan would take them.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I dont understand why would a nation dump hosting an event if the qualies are not there anymore? I am lost...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    The only thing I care about is going back to the Tue-Sat schedule and not having the 2 finals on Saturday. I hope that changes now that theyve ditched the qualies. Mind you, I am assuming that wont be the case for the 2013 season, as the tickets and dates for the championships are already sold and set.
    I can't imagine that happening. Narrowing the ISU Championships down to a 4 day format was a cost saving and the tv networks liked it too.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIVER View Post
    I dont understand why would a nation dump hosting an event if the qualies are not there anymore? I am lost...
    Everybody who didn't get past the Preliminary Rounds had to pay their own expenses.

Everybody who got eliminated, got eliminated at the beginning of the week meaning they only used 2 days of ice time for practice.

Those who didn't need to skate in the Preliminary Rounds didn't start their practices until Monday at earliest.

So all in all, a bit less ice time was needed.

Now what I don't understand is why they can't change it so that all the federations have to pay their own expenses and solve the problem this way.

I guess the answer is: no federations are going to willingly vote to bear more expenses.

But wouldn't doing that be better than not having your skaters at ISU Championships at all...

vCash
    It is a sad statement, if it is true, that a country like Canada - that chose a VERY modest location with limited seating - could not host this event. Very sad statement for the status of the sport in North America.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast