Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Congress

vCash
    Just FYI, vocal music has been allowed at the Intermediate level and below for 3 years in the U.S., and in my experience still isn't commonly used except at the very beginning levels, where I think it lets some young skaters have more fun. Out of dozens and dozens of programs I've seen at the Juvenile and Intermediate levels since then I can think of about 5 that used vocal music, and they generally used it very effectively. I've never seen a skater above the very beginning levels try to act out the lyrics (and at the very beginning levels it can be cute ). I would've been opposed to allowing vocal music before the rule was passed at Governing Council but it hasn't caused the demise of skating as I know it yet. I highly doubt any elite skaters that most on this board would watch will skate to Justin Bieber. Maybe some pre-preliminary or preliminary skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Just FYI, vocal music has been allowed at the Intermediate level and below for 3 years in the U.S., and in my experience still isn't commonly used except at the very beginning levels, where I think it lets some young skaters have more fun. Out of dozens and dozens of programs I've seen at the Juvenile and Intermediate levels since then I can think of about 5 that used vocal music, and they generally used it very effectively. I've never seen a skater above the very beginning levels try to act out the lyrics (and at the very beginning levels it can be cute ). I would've been opposed to allowing vocal music before the rule was passed at Governing Council but it hasn't caused the demise of skating as I know it yet. I highly doubt any elite skaters that most on this board would watch will skate to Justin Bieber. Maybe some pre-preliminary or preliminary skaters.
    Thinking of, say, Jeremy's FS this past season. Had he been able to use a version with the lyrics, it wouldn't have taken away anything from the program. It might have actually enhanced it, since the lyrics are a very painful, longing ... which he was brilliant at acting out anyway. As someone else mentioned, I think, it could work for the benefit of the skater who's already struggling with interpretation.

Plus, yeah, okay... I'm going to say it: Skating needs younger fans, too. It needs young people with disposable income, and their tendency to become fierce, faithful fans who engage their friends in their interests. If allowing lyrics attracts younger fans, and perhaps sparks a renewed interest in the sport (especially in the US)... it's for the benefit of everyone.

vCash
    One good thing I can think of about allowing vocals is that it will likely minimize inherent music cuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFeathers View Post
    Plus, yeah, okay... I'm going to say it: Skating needs younger fans, too. It needs young people with disposable income, and their tendency to become fierce, faithful fans who engage their friends in their interests. If allowing lyrics attracts younger fans, and perhaps sparks a renewed interest in the sport (especially in the US)... it's for the benefit of everyone.
    Amen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks - here's the summary:

I'd like to know, too.
    Junior Men Pairs and Ice Dancers age limits dropped from 21 to 20. No other age changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    Junior Men Pairs and Ice Dancers age limits dropped from 21 to 20. No other age changes.
    Thank you, oubik. I think this change was inevitable and lowering by 1 year isn't as bad as some of the other proposals at least.

This was the original wording of the ISU Council's proposal:
    "Maximum age for Men in Pairs and Dance would be 20 instead of 21, effective with the 2014-2015 season."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Just FYI, vocal music has been allowed at the Intermediate level and below for 3 years in the U.S., and in my experience still isn't commonly used except at the very beginning levels,
    Most coaches won't allow it because it isn't allowed at elite levels, and they think (most likely correctly) judges don't like it.

It will be interesting to see if the elites keep to the status quo trying to stay with the judges taste, or if they use lyrics to be innovative.

Once elites start using lyrics, I expect it to be very common at the lower levels. (Except that it is harder to cut.)

vCash
    I think it's a dangerous assumption that lyrics = younger fans. If someone of any age wants to hear songs with lyrics, there are a couple of million places they can do that other than an ice rink.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash

Plus, yeah, okay... I'm going to say it: Skating needs younger fans, too. It needs young people with disposable income
    I may not be hanging around with the right people, but most young people I know or know of don't have disposable incomes.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    No, but like many of the fine arts, the interest and fandom is often established when people are young, often quite young, and then they come back to it when they have money.

I don't think it's that large a leap for competitive skating to look superficially closer to Stars on Ice, because there aren't that many places that have those shows that many of us saw year after year, like Ice Capades.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    It might help getting rid of most of the cheesy versions of popular music. I much prefer the "real" music on SYTYCD to the cheesy in-house band versions on DWTS.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    It might help getting rid of most of the cheesy versions of popular music. I much prefer the "real" music on SYTYCD to the cheesy in-house band versions on DWTS.
    This.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    the vocal music might be distracting, possibly overpowering for the skater/team that doesnt skate to music.

also for public if knows music and pays more attention to music, vocals than skaters.

it is also a good thing for skaters/team to know placement,
    it can be good/bad depending on skater/team and music, vocal, situation.
    Last edited by query5; 06-18-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add some more words

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    One good thing I can think of about allowing vocals is that it will likely minimize inherent music cuts.
    Hmmmm - I think we are going to see the rise of compilation programs where the skater picks an artist and tries to cram in as many of that artist pieces of music as possible. I won't be surprised when we get the first Beyonce program with at least Halo and Single Ladies.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the elites keep to the status quo trying to stay with the judges taste, or if they use lyrics to be innovative.
    How do you know what the taste of judges are?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Just one phrase of warning...Carmen vocals!

vCash
    So now we have "clapping to the music" Soon it will be singing along with the program. Maybe the jumbotron will have "sing along with the bouncing ball" on it's screen. "I see a little silhouette of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the fandango?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I may not be hanging around with the right people, but most young people I know or know of don't have disposable incomes.
    IMO, there are two groups with higher disposable income (forget about the super rich): Professionals without kids and 'near retirees' where the kids have all grown and mortgages paid off.
    IMO, I find lyrics distracting in a competition piece. It's okay for 'show skating'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Hmmmm - I think we are going to see the rise of compilation programs where the skater picks an artist and tries to cram in as many of that artist pieces of music as possible. I won't be surprised when we get the first Beyonce program with at least Halo and Single Ladies.
    I recently saw a young beginner skater (as in bunny hops and 2 foot spins) skate a program to Duran Duran music, that included sections of "Hungry Like the Wolf" and "Rio" (in a 1:30 program).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Just one phrase of warning...Carmen vocals!
    As done as Hamlet on Gilligan's Island?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXId5jOTxdg

Myself, I'd like someone to skate to Bugs Bunny's Wagner:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2VMqQ6XnmI
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast