Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ISU Congress

vCash

ISU Congress

The next ISU election will take place in four years.The Members voted for the Council's proposal.So Speedy is 4 years more ISU president

vCash
    Thanks, drfj, for the info.
    Any other interesting news?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drfj View Post
    The next ISU election will take place in four years.The Members voted for the Council's proposal.So Speedy is 4 years more ISU president
    Well, when they looked at the alternatives it's not surprising.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Well, when they looked at the alternatives it's not surprising.
    you do not have alternates at the moment the original election should be in 2 years,now it will be in 4 years

vCash
    4 more years?
    This too will pass away.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Preliminaries are gone.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Preliminaries are gone.
    yes,that is a good new

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drfj View Post
    yes,that is a good new
    And now all 50+ single skaters will skate short program?

vCash
    Preliminaries are gone.
    That's a bit disappointing. Even though it burdened skaters much, I was quite enjoying the thrill of who's gonna go in or out. Well for the skaters' sake, of course, it's a good thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    That's a bit disappointing. Even though it burdened skaters much, I was quite enjoying the thrill of who's gonna go in or out. Well for the skaters' sake, of course, it's a good thing.
    For me too, I think it was also more enjoyable for the skaters to do a 4 minutes program with much more personality instead of a program which is only 2,50 minutes long.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I thought the preliminaries were a good thing, but a lot of the federations weren't happy if their skaters didn't participate in the "main" part of Worlds for various reasons.

vCash
    Preliminaries meant that a lot of skaters weren't able to 'really compete' at Worlds, there was often no way of watching them at all (even online) and they were totally unfair because you got some weak skaters directly qualifying because of the result of their better teammates.

Also, SP/SD is much better at showing skaters' technical prowess. It's much more brutal with mistakes penalised more.

THANK HEAVENS the preliminary rounds are gone.

Any other news?

What about Junior skaters not being able to do Junior any more after having done Senior events twice (IIRC)?

And what about 14 year olds not being able to do GP any more?

vCash
    The fact that preliminaries are gone is good news for all federations that don't consistently have strong skaters, i.e. for all ISU members except for 6-7.

Therefore it is not a surprise that the vote has gone the way it has.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Preliminaries meant that a lot of skaters weren't able to 'really compete' at Worlds, there was often no way of watching them at all (even online) and they were totally unfair because you got some weak skaters directly qualifying because of the result of their better teammates.

Also, SP/SD is much better at showing skaters' technical prowess. It's much more brutal with mistakes penalised more.

THANK HEAVENS the preliminary rounds are gone.
    Yeah, I wouldn't cheer so much Ziggy. Nobody is going to want to hold Worlds as is because of the expense so the ISU will find another way to cut numbers. We might look back on preliminaries with fondness yet.

I quite like the preliminaries for the ladies and men because it meant we could have a few extra hours in bed the morning of the short.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Any other news?

What about Junior skaters not being able to do Junior any more after having done Senior events twice (IIRC)?

And what about 14 year olds not being able to do GP any more?
    Congress goes on for another two days so no doubt the above will be gotten around to at some point.

vCash
    Yeah, I wouldn't cheer so much Ziggy. Nobody is going to want to hold Worlds as is because of the expense so the ISU will find another way to cut numbers. We might look back on preliminaries with fondness yet.

I quite like the preliminaries for the ladies and men because it meant we could have a few extra hours in bed the morning of the short.

Congress goes on for another two days so no doubt the above will be gotten around to at some point.
    The other way is by the ISU to cut the numbers ,is to fix a high minimum score to take part in the Championships.And this is not a very good thing for the small federations.

vCash
    Was it really cheaper to hold the preliminaries rather than longer short programs? With the preliminaries, the championships are a day longer, so there is extra expense for the judges and other officials, the rink security and for the skaters who pass the preliminaries. I'm not sure either way of course.

Upto now there have always been candidates to hold the Worlds and Euros. So maybe sacrifices shouldn't be made unless the problem actually arises.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Was it really cheaper to hold the preliminaries rather than longer short programs? With the preliminaries, the championships are a day longer, so there is extra expense for the judges and other officials, the rink security and for the skaters who pass the preliminaries. I'm not sure either way of course.
    The preliminaries at Worlds this year for example eliminated over 70 skaters from the competition. Multiply that number by hotel rooms over a number of nights, etc. and it's not an insignificant amount of money.

Personally, I don't see why an organising committee should have to pay for a competitor's accommodation and meals. It's their choice to be there innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Upto now there have always been candidates to hold the Worlds and Euros. So maybe sacrifices shouldn't be made unless the problem actually arises.
    At the last congress I believe that some of the organising federations for upcoming championships threatened to relinquish hosting if the preliminary round proposal wasn't passed.

It may be the case that it was more hassle than it was worth even if it did save money. I heard some accommodation expenses from Sheffield and Nice are still outstanding from federations whose skaters didn't advance from the preliminaries (even though they were supposed to have paid cash beforehand).....

vCash
    The preliminaries at Worlds this year for example eliminated over 70 skaters from the competition. Multiply that number by hotel rooms over a number of nights, etc. and it's not an insignificant amount of money.
    Indeed, but the same amount of money would be saved if the preliminaries didn't take place and these skaters were eliminated at the short program - since their expenses wouldn't be payed once they are eliminated.

If anything, extra accomodation and meals have been payed for the skaters who did make it through the preliminaries, since they had to arrive a couple of days earlier.

Personally, I don't see why an organising committee should have to pay for a competitor's accommodation and meals. It's their choice to be there innit.
    I agree with you, given how expensive a sport figure skating is. Maybe for athletics or some team sports it is necessary to give really poor federations a chance to enter their athletes. However the expence of bringing a skater to championships level is such that I'm sure a few nights' accomodation is negligible in comparison.

In any case, national federations whose skaters are "invisible" at the Euros and Worlds would lose so much money in terms of state support and sponsors that they should jump on the opportunity of paying for a few nights' hotel fees!

vCash

At the last congress I believe that some of the organising federations for upcoming championships threatened to relinquish hosting if the preliminary round proposal wasn't passed.
    I do think the preliminaries were good, short programmes are more of a lottery and everything depends on if you are drown for last 4 groups or are in the lower half. See how many of early starters went through short programmes in those Worlds, Juniow Worlds and Euros?

Also, I have a hear´say info the Canadians (after the passing of no more prelims) went to ISU they would be supposedly giving the Worlds 2013 back as impossible to finance. Anyone other who can confirm?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    I do think the preliminaries were good, short programmes are more of a lottery and everything depends on if you are drown for last 4 groups or are in the lower half. See how many of early starters went through short programmes in those Worlds, Juniow Worlds and Euros?

Also, I have a hear´say info the Canadians (after the passing of no more prelims) went to ISU they would be supposedly giving the Worlds 2013 back as impossible to finance. Anyone other who can confirm?
    I have heard the same about Canadians.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast