64 24.71%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

7 2.70%
  • Patrick Chan

5 1.93%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    To tell the truth, voting one of the above mentioned skaters out would be a tough decision to make for me. Each skater has his own unique style. All these men listed above have contributed to the sport of figure skating, and have given unselfishly to numorous charities and organizations. Therefore, I voted for no one.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    Anyway - returning to Lambiel. I think that people who regard him highly mostly don't think so much about the jumps, but about the fresh and pretty much unparalled style (I don't mean his music, of course ) that he and his choreographer Salome Brunner brought to figure skating, his musicality, the quality of his skating and his spins. Yes, yes, there are people to whom such things as style and musicality also matter .
    I definitely don't hate Lambiel, for sure; I find him far more watchable than Plushenko and many other skaters on this list. But it annoys me how much people act like he's an infallible god on ice or something. Musicality and style are subjective, and shouldn't totally overrule his failings. Full credit from me for learning a quad, but much like Sasha Cohen, he rarely skated clean, and it detracted from the overall enjoyment for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Am I the only one here that likes Todd Eldredge? I am not saying he is the greatest skater or anything like that, but he had many really good qualities. He landed a 3A3t combination as early as 1990, when very few were attempting it. He had excellent spins, lines, and he was a very consistent skater. He developed artistically after he turned pro. He did not win an Olympic medal but that's because he was competing in an era that was dominated by quad jumpers (Yagudin, Plushenko, Stojko, Goebel, Kulik). He started learning the quad quite late in his career, and never mastered it. I like him better than many other skaters listed here.
    I love Todd's skating. Quad-smaud. I got teary-eyed during his 2002 Olympics LP.

vCash
    I voted for Lysacek, too many cheated 3A, wild windmill arms and IMO, zero personality on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    To tell the truth, voting one of the above mentioned skaters out would be a tough decision to make for me. Each skater has his own unique style. All these men listed above have contributed to the sport of figure skating, and have given unselfishly to numerous charities and organizations. Therefore, I voted for no one.
    I basically feel the same way. I hate to see anyone get booted off in these kinds of polls. Everyone has his/her own strengths/(weaknesses too). I'm not voting in this or the other similar polls for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BmcC102 View Post
    I love Todd's skating. Quad-smaud. I got teary-eyed during his 2002 Olympics LP.
    So did I!

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    To tell the truth, voting one of the above mentioned skaters out would be a tough decision to make for me. Each skater has his own unique style. All these men listed above have contributed to the sport of figure skating, and have given unselfishly to numorous charities and organizations. Therefore, I voted for no one.
    I totally agree. Everyone of them has trained hard and there is room for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BmcC102 View Post
    I know how you feel. I also remember that he was allowed to skate in the Gala even though he was lower than 5th place. (Alexander Abt would have had that spot, but he graciously gave up his spot so that Todd could skate his last gala at "home". Now that is sportsmanship. )

Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I basically feel the same way. I hate to see anyone get booted off in these kinds of polls. Everyone has his/her own strengths/(weaknesses too). I'm not voting in this or the other similar polls for the same reason.
    Of course we all have our favorites, but I don't feel that gives me the right to bash someone else, just because I personally don't like their style.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Each skater in this poll has different strenghts, different weaknesses, and different styles. However, they are all CHAMPIONS. Skaters that win World or Olympic titles are the 'best of the best.' A skater does not win World or Olympic medals if they are mediocre or 'second rate' skaters. A look at the competitive resumes of these skaters shows that they are all very accomplished skaters on the international level.

As skating fans, we all have our favorite skaters. We prefer some styles over others. However, just because we do not personally like a skater or their style of skating, does not mean that we have to resort to bashing that skater by calling them second rate or mediocre.

vCash
    Good lord, is Todd "Everything but the quad" Eldridge really going to kicked out before Brian "Nothing but the quad" Joubert?

This poll makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

vCash
    Lysacek is still here ?
    he will be the Kostner in the men's poll

Lysacek doesnt even have a good 3A

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Stojko couldn't even do a proper camel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Lysacek is still here ?
    he will be the Kostner in the men's poll

I don't care for Lysacek's skating, but I respect his discipline and will power to pull off jumps when he needs to. He has been more consistent than many men on this poll, and definitely more than Kostner who is already in the 5th round for the ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Good lord, is Todd "Everything but the quad" Eldridge really going to kicked out before Brian "Nothing but the quad" Joubert?
    It seems all the North American skaters will be kicked off before any Euro skaters (other than Urmanov) will be in danger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Stojko couldn't even do a proper camel
    But even Stojko, and I can't believe I'm saying this, had a better sense of music and rhythm... (not to mention a big 3A and a quad that was landed cleanly at loads of major internationals)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    But even Stojko, and I can't believe I'm saying this, had a better sense of music and rhythm... (not to mention a big 3A and a quad that was landed cleanly at loads of major internationals)
    Don't worry. Judging by votes as they are right now, Lysacek will be the next to go. Wich is fine by me, although I can't say that I dislike him anywhere as much as a lot of other people here. I admit that I voted for him in the first round, because I had only seen like one performance of Urmanov and Eldridge on video quite a long time ago, and, as I had no time to watch then, I went for the one I really new to be less than stellar at pretty much everything. Then I watched a few Eldridge videos and decided to vote for him in this round, as he seem to be even duller than Lysacek.

vCash

No, you certainly are not! I'm not too sure about some of the others, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I definitely don't hate Lambiel, for sure; I find him far more watchable than Plushenko and many other skaters on this list. But it annoys me how much people act like he's an infallible god on ice or something. Musicality and style are subjective, and shouldn't totally overrule his failings. Full credit from me for learning a quad, but much like Sasha Cohen, he rarely skated clean, and it detracted from the overall enjoyment for me.
    Well, no one is an infallible god on ice - probably Plushenko has come closest to that, but so many people still dislike him (and for a reason). As for Lambiel, seems that his artistry indeed overrides his failings in many people's minds. I too can view him as weaker than some other skaters on this list only if I totally separate his achievements in competitive skating from what he's done in his many exhibition programs/performances outside of competition, and from how he's grown as an artist. As for musicality - I don't think that it's so subjective, because, after all, it's not about whether someone likes the music or the style, but rather about how much the skater accentuates the nuances of the music and how much into music he does that.

Still, I don't see why Lambiel should go before Lysacek, Buttle and even your beloved Takahashi (actually I love him too, just a bit less than Lambiel). Yes, Takahashi has more international golds, but his worlds and olympic medals set is not more impressive. But, of course, it's not just about that. Takahashi has a good triple axel, but he has even greater problems with quads than Lambiel. I realize that his skating skills are better now than Lambiel's were at the time when he won his two worlds. Spins - here Lambiel wins. As for artistry - both have always set themselves apart from everyone else with their style. I admit that, all in all, Takahashi is a slightly better performer in competition, as Lambiel was always more subject to his own mood (so, if he was not in the mood for whatever reason, it showed - more in the later years, though). Musicality - again, they are both good, but I personally give Lambiel a slight edge. So, they are pretty much equal and it's only up to each voter's personal preference for whom they are going to vote first.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Each skater in this poll has different strenghts, different weaknesses, and different styles. However, they are all CHAMPIONS. Skaters that win World or Olympic titles are the 'best of the best.' A skater does not win World or Olympic medals if they are mediocre or 'second rate' skaters. A look at the competitive resumes of these skaters shows that they are all very accomplished skaters on the international level.
    Of course, you are right. Even Lysacek is not a mediocre skater, if we compare him to many of those who have never risen above some fifteenth/twentieth place in WCH. He's just not one of the greatest.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 06-15-2012 at 07:59 PM.

vCash
    and vote for the false God Yagudin for the last 2 standing oops !
    Plushy is the only real God of Skating it will be Blasphemy !

Banned Member
    vCash

Well, in Joubert's favor is this Youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC-5i...ting%20joubert

And then there's Todd: http://hottywoodhelps.files.wordpres...d_sandals1.jpg

Todd's next on the chopping block.

Also, these links might be NSFW.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    It seems all the North American skaters will be kicked off before any Euro skaters (other than Urmanov) will be in danger.
    Funny, but you may be right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Funny, but you may be right.
    I think Chan will survive at least one of the Euro guys. I would vote for Kulik before Chan anyway.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast