• Daisuke Takahashi

7 2.70%
  • Patrick Chan

5 1.93%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Figure Skating Champions SURVIVOR: Men's ROUND 2

And so we progress to Round 2.

The original contestants were the last twelve men to win a World or Olympic title.

Alexei Urmanov was voted out in the first round.

The remaining choices are:

Who is the weakest link? Use whatever criteria you want, but be forewarned that I will be posting additional Elvis Stojko links each week until he is voted out.

Stojko's 1995 Worlds SP
    Stojko's 1995 Worlds FS

vCash
    Eldredge should definitely go next (he should have gone 1st round but oh well), followed by Lysacek.

vCash
    I liked Eldredge and winning world medals from 1990 to 2001 is very impressive. But he's the weakest overall here and I can hardly remember any of his programs.

So bye bye Todd.

vCash
    I never liked Evans style. And his jumps were never amazing, he was just kind of mediocre. However i liked todds style and he had a magnificent triple axel. That is why im voting off lysacek now, then buttle, then todd

vCash
    That first result

"Yay, I stood up on stuff" Lysacek or Stojko out next please.

vCash
    I was not a fan of Eldredge (Zzzzz), but he is a better skater than Lysacek, IMO.
    Lysacek again, for me

vCash
    Lysacek.

Because a 3A is supposed to look like a 3A, not a 3S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Lysacek.

Because a 3A is supposed to look like a 3A, not a 3S.
    ITA and I think that Eldredge's skates in 1996 and 2001 were miles better than Lysacek's world or olympic LPs by far. I also found them superior to Lysacek's national performance in 2007, but that's a lot closer. The only thing Lysacek did better than Eldredge was the quad, and he was hardly ever successful with it at the big events.

vCash
    Why is this poll so much weirder than the ladies?

Poor urmanov.

Anywho, what's up with all the Joubert love? He a one note presentation wise, and as entertaining as that one note was the first 100 times we saw it, it was still pretty cheesy. He has the competitive fire of a scared rabbit, regularly bombing easy comps like Lalique where he basically had it onthe bag yet still lost to lesser skaters. It seemed to take him a century to win worlds and eventhenthey was a forgettable victory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Anywho, what's up with all the Joubert love?
    His turn is coming. Speedily, and in our days.

vCash
    Haven't voted yet but am thinking of Joubert. Talk about a skater who never developed in terms of presentation....

Kulik's eligible career was also pretty short (did leave on a high note though....)

Waiting to see how things develop.

Eldridge is off the table for the time being. I think of him as the last of the great truly allround skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    ITA and I think that Eldredge's skates in 1996 and 2001 were miles better than Lysacek's world or olympic LPs by far. I also found them superior to Lysacek's national performance in 2007, but that's a lot closer. The only thing Lysacek did better than Eldredge was the quad, and he was hardly ever successful with it at the big events.
    His footwork was definitely better IMO. Todd never had any complicated footwork that I recall. Evan's jumps outside the triple axel were bigger and stronger I felt too.

vCash
    Someone voted for Lambiel? I guess we should never be surprised by anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    His footwork was definitely better IMO. Todd never had any complicated footwork that I recall. Evan's jumps outside the triple axel were bigger and stronger I felt too.
    Well, I definitely disagree. They both lipped and I thought Eldredge carried more speed into and out of his jumps. And Todd's 3A is in another galaxy compared to Evan's.

Re: footwork, Eldredge may not have had complexity, but I'll take speed and good edging with musicality over mindless bee-swatting at a near stand still any day.

Either way, they need to be the next two to go. I just think Lyscek should go first

vCash
    Eldredge would have won many many more medals, if they had kept compulsory figures. Should we believe Toller... His ISU comment was ludicrous, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qh_T...tailpage#t=70s

vCash
    Well, I love Evan and Todd; they're the type of solid, all-around skater I go for. I voted for Buttle last round and this one. I loathed his inconsistent jumps; cold, cluttered programs; and stumble-and-fumble Olympic performance. I don't dispute his Worlds win; it was the first time and maybe only time I actually enjoyed his skating.
    Last edited by MichelleTodd; 06-12-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo/grammatical error

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I'm voting Eldredge or Lysacek. When I see those 2 names in the poll, all I can think of is how much better Matt Savoie was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I'm voting Eldredge or Lysacek. When I see those 2 names in the poll, all I can think of is how much better Matt Savoie was.
    I loved Matt too, but he pretty much never brought it in international competition. That has to count for something.
    Todd and Joubert are on deck for me, with Todd most likely walking the plank first.

vCash
    Am I the only one here that likes Todd Eldredge? I am not saying he is the greatest skater or anything like that, but he had many really good qualities. He landed a 3A3t combination as early as 1990, when very few were attempting it. He had excellent spins, lines, and he was a very consistent skater. He developed artistically after he turned pro. He did not win an Olympic medal but that's because he was competing in an era that was dominated by quad jumpers (Yagudin, Plushenko, Stojko, Goebel, Kulik). He started learning the quad quite late in his career, and never mastered it. I like him better than many other skaters listed here.

vCash
    Vash, those are good points about Todd. I liked him. I think he suffers not only for being a quadless skater in a quad-filled era but also for being kind of boring (or at any rate, not flashy) during his amateur career. Everything was solid but no "wow" features in his skating. His spins were excellent quality but not flashy like Lambiel's. He was a solid competitor but not an outstanding one. He did win Worlds in 1996 but he also let opportunities to win an Olympic medal and a World title slip away in 1998.

(Actually, I'm tempted to vote for Joubert this round, but I fear the vote would be wasted as there's no groundswell of support to oust him just yet!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast