Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post

However, I wanted to secure the water feature, since with the pond there, I would be reluctant to take my eyes off him even to read a book.
    You said small and about 30 cm deep but how large is it (width)?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    You said small and about 30 cm deep but how large is it (width)?
    hmm, I'm trying to remember - maybe 2 m x 3 m? its back is kinda obscured by foliage, and it is mostly a pond for salamanders and frogs - no fish. The bottom is quite slippery and its full of mush/leaves/algae (honestly, it is more like a waterhole than pond . If it was my summer house I would either fix it up with a pump or remove it - the rest of the garden is really beautifully landscaped, so it doesn't really fit with a 'natural' pond).

I still think just boarding it over when we want to hang out on the garden might be most efficient. Of course, it may just rain the whole time (this being Denmark), and we all just go out in the rain together, no relaxing sun time for the parents

(and yes, I know this is thread drift, sorry everyone)

vCash
    When I was married, we bought a house with an inground pool. The whole yard had a 6 ft. high privacy fence, with a padlock on the gate. And all around the pool was a knee high "picket fence" with a spring lock gate. You had to reach over the lift up the latch.

The people we bought the house from had little kids. I always made sure everybody kept the spring lock closed because of our dog, Sadie. She wouldn't even get close to the fence when anyone was in the pool splashing around or anything. She hated water. But I was afraid she might be chasing something in the yard and not pay attention to where she was going.

Funny story - I was getting ready for work one morning and looked out the second story window to the back yard and saw something in the water. I went down (left Sadie in the house) and there was a little bunny swimming around. I got the skimmer net thing and fished him out. He was breathing, but worn out. I put him on a towel on the picnic table and then had to go to work. He wasn't there when I got home, so I am hoping he got his second wind and hopped away!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Exactly. My mother didn't watch us ever instant of the day, but if we went to the neighbor's pool, she went and watched us. When we went to the pool at grandma's apartment complex, grandma came with us and watched. If it's your own house and you have kids, having the extra fence might be sensible. If you're visiting somewhere that has a pool, best to pay attention.

And if it's a pool on private property that you're not supposed to be in, teach your kids to stay the eff out and don't let ones too young to understand wander off on their own.
    My ex had two preteen boys who could swim like fish by the time they could walk, but they were not allowed in our pool if I was the only one home because I could not swim. My idea!!!

Funny (again) - the morning we were moving into the house, I took some stuff there by myself and looked outside and there was a floating lounge chair in the pool (for me). Awwwww.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    I didn't watch mine every second, nor did my parents do that to me. But water is different. My fil had a swimming pool, in the summer time when we were visited him, I was with my kids everytime they went outside. Both kids took swimming lessons starting at 3, wore life jackets, water wings and every flotation device going. When they were old enough and adept enough, they were on their own. And we drilled into them many rules about what you can and can't do in or around the pool. It takes a lot of work, but water is unforgiving. It only takes 3 minutes to drown. So for any of you with small kids around water, no matter if it's a mud puddle, you're on the hook. There have been 4 people drown in my area in the last couple of years, they were adults. It only takes 3 minutes to drown.
    Right. The neighbor who babysitted my sister and I had a pool, not separately fenced, but we were only allowed to go in if she was watching us.

Whereas my parents let us go wild in the front yard without supervision. We were trusted to be smart enough not to run in front of cars. But all it takes is a slip by the pool, you never know...
    Last edited by Anita18; 06-14-2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Argh WTF grammar...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Right. The neighbor who babysitted my sister and I had a pool, not separately fenced, but we were only allowed to go in if she was watching us.

Whereas my parents let us go wild in the front yard without supervision. We were trust not to be stupid enough not to run in front of cars. But all it takes is a slip by the pool, you never know...
    So true. In the mid-50's, my 18-month old brother drowned in a irregation ditch next to my grandma's house in Arizona. She was watching him inside her house, when somebody used the screen door and forgot to latch it. It only took seconds for him to scoot out the door. My grandpa found him further down the ditch, where the current had carried him.

I wasn't born until 1958, but as a result of the drowning my mother was by then very paranoid about the water, and I guess it had rubbed off on me. She did let my sister and I swim, but she never took her eyes off of us. Now, I'm the same way - paranoid!

Of course, my brother didn't drown in a swimming pool, and not every ditch on a farm is going to be fenced in, but water really is unforgiving, and it can happen so quickly. You will never get that moment back.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    hmm, I'm trying to remember - maybe 2 m x 3 m? its back is kinda obscured by foliage, and it is mostly a pond for salamanders and frogs - no fish. The bottom is quite slippery and its full of mush/leaves/algae (honestly, it is more like a waterhole than pond . If it was my summer house I would either fix it up with a pump or remove it - the rest of the garden is really beautifully landscaped, so it doesn't really fit with a 'natural' pond).

I still think just boarding it over when we want to hang out on the garden might be most efficient. Of course, it may just rain the whole time (this being Denmark), and we all just go out in the rain together, no relaxing sun time for the parents

(and yes, I know this is thread drift, sorry everyone)
    The pond doesn't sound like a good combination, a slippery bottom and foliage covering the top of it. Can you buy a tarp to cover it rather than boarding it over? I'd think it would be easier and it wouldn't damage the plants and in my experience, walking on boards is a fun thing to do for small children, tarps not so much.

Your little guy might not be interested in it at all, but better to be safe rather than sorry.

vCash
    We had a pool (above ground) when our kids were little. We had exterior fence per city regulations, life jackets and removed the ladder when when we were not home to hopefully deter any neighborhood children from wandering and getting into the pool. Since there was no decking around the pool, you needed the ladder to climb in.

Responsibility begins with the adults around the child, but even at that we know that children are curious beings and some will wander off and into a pool. We have a responsibility to do reasonable measures to avoid accidental drownings, but there is not even regulation to avoid every drowning death. Some of those deaths are from non-swimming pool accidents.
    Babies who accidentally slip or crawl into bathrooms, unsupervised by adults, are known to drown in toilets, buckets and pools, even with all the supporting ring devices.

vCash
    We have a 6 ft privacy fence with a locked gate but we still lock our hot tub when we are not home. I'm not sure if a child could open the cover - we have a cover lifter but it's hard for me to lift it anyway - but I don't want to come home & find out that it was doable. It only takes a moment to lock it.

vCash
    When we were kids and had a pool... We had very strict rules from very forceful parents... And the minute they left and turned the corner to the main road..... My youngest sister was lookout.... It was "everybody in the pool". My brother used to jump in from the bbq chimney with my little sister on his shoulders. Really I don't know how we survived.

I will try to remember to do some research into CALIFORNIA law... But IIRC when we were buying and selling homes in the 70's and 80's thenpool fencing lws were in force.

And as to ambiance...... A pool where a child has drowned probably does more harm to the ambience than a fence. Just saying......
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    A wonderful dog saves a child. No fence, of course.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#...s-toddler.wood

Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Yes, that is what I meant to say. The pool should have a fence surrounding it, not the just the yard.
    Not only do you need to have a fence around the pool with a locked gate, you should also post rules for pool use (e.g. children cannot swim without adult supervision, no running or horseplay, no glass containers, etc). And the pool should have a cover that is attached at the sides when it is not in use, so as to prevent anyone from accidentally falling into it. God forbid that anyone would drown or be seriously injured, but if that happens the insurance companies will be looking for the presence of a fence, locked gate, posted rules, adult supervision, and a pool cover in order to determine who is negligent. Anyone who owns a pool needs to have adequate liability insurance. I know someone who was sued by his neighbor for an accident involving the neighbor's kid on his trampoline, and these are the things the judge looked for in determing negligence.

vCash
    Swimming is a sport that is not natural to everyone.I'm totally agree with everyone.Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had.All pools should have a barrier around them and high enough.

vCash
    In Australia I am pretty sure it is mandatory throughout every Australian state that if you have a pool you have a fence. No questions - it has to be done. And here a lot of kids learn to swim as part of just growing up. It is seen as the responsible thing to do.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234