Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Pool fences are not the answer, watching the kids you are responsible for is.

Two five-year-old girls drowned in a backyard pool after one of the girls’ grandmother, responsible for looking after them, allegedly chatted on a phone indoors.
    Sounds like grandma/housekeeper is to blame, get off the phone and watch your kids.
    Last edited by julieann; 06-12-2012 at 11:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    There are reasonable precautions that can be taken without ruining the aesthetic of the pool area.
    JMHO, but I don't see how a kiddie gate of any design wouldn't ruin this pool's aesthetic.

If you don't have kids and your property is fenced, you aren't in need of those precautions. It's like requiring every car to be outfitted with a baby car seat whether you have a child or not. Not everyone needs one, and those that do should take responsibility for getting one without having to legislate everyone in the country having one too.

Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    You can't legislate common sense.
    This

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    JMHO, but I don't see how a kiddie gate of any design wouldn't ruin this pool's aesthetic.
    Since that home is in CA, which has a pool safety law, I'd assume it meets the requirements already.
    Last edited by milanessa; 06-12-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: punctuation
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    For this pool I would recommend electric eels.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    So if tresspassers die of pool-related causes other than drowning, all is well?

If the goal is to keep children and others out of the pool without spoiling the landscape with a fence, then how about picturesque visible threats outside the pool that will scare folks away before they get there?

Attack dogs? Attack swans? Scantily clad models with designer assault weapons?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Pool fences are not the answer, watching the kids you are responsible for is.

Sounds like grandma/housekeeper is to blame, get off the phone and watch your kids.
    And apparently she didn't even realize where they were until the family got home. Small children left to run amok get into trouble. Wasn't the pool's fault.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    So if tresspassers die of pool-related causes other than drowning, all is well?

If the goal is to keep children and others out of the pool without spoiling the landscape with a fence, then how about picturesque visible threats outside the pool that will scare folks away before they get there?

Attack dogs? Attack swans? Scantily clad models with designer assault weapons?
    Ron Jeremy sipping mai tais in a Speedo could work, too.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    For any pool easily accesible (no fenced property) I can see the argument, but if the pool is on a private, fenced lot, I don't see why you would need the fence.
    You need more than just a fence surrounding the yard/property, you need a fence surrounding the actual pool. Otherwise, a child could just slip out the back door and have full access to the pool.

btw - as an aside - this summer we will be staying at my in-laws summer house, which has a small water feature (pond, about 30 cm deep?). Any good ideas about how to temporarily fence it off or otherwise close it so we don't have to hawk over our 16 month old? Considering getting some cheap wooden boards and place on top?
    Why wouldn't you be hawking a child that age? My grandparents had a brook on their property that, in certain places, was deep enough for a child to become completely submerged, and it also had a dam and a 15-20' waterfall about 60' from the back of the house. Some times during the year, you could walk right across on the stones; other times (Spring thaw) it was rushing fast and deep enough that it could sweep a small child right off their feet. Between 1959 and 1970, there were ten grandchildren coming to visit between the ages of 10 years and 16 months, and you can bet damn straight that my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and my own parents (the youngest 2 kids were my older brothers) were "hawking" all those kids so they wouldn't fall in. I myself was "hawked" by my parents, other adult relatives as well as my cousins, who are 7 to 15 years older than I am. Guess what, none of us either drowned or had a near-drowning.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Second, many don't realize that drowning is a silent death. People who are drowning generally don't call out or thrash about like you see on TV. The body goes into a mode to save energy and they will hover just above, just below the the water line before finally going under. If you can't see the pool, you won't hear a kid drown.
    I'm 52 years old with three children. I read all the parenting magazines, took swimming lessons myself and for my kids, and I've taken multiple first aid courses, and I DID NOT KNOW THIS until someone posted this link (Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning) on Facebook last year.

I sent the link to all my colleagues at work who have children.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash

This
    I think the stiff incline is more of danger than the pool in that house. And those endangered would more likely be drunken socialites than children.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Since that home is in CA, which has a pool safety law, I'd assume it meets the requirements already.
    I can't get the link to open, but the law in California requiring fencing for the pool itself only applies to pools that are built or remodeled after 2007.

vCash
    I don't know why people expect parents to watch their kids every darn second. My parents were strict as all get out (hello, Asian!), but I wasn't watched every darn second.

Anyways, I have no real opinion on this but the pool in my condo building is outdoors and is surrounded by a glass fence and trees. It's actually quite pretty.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I can't get the link to open, but the law in California requiring fencing for the pool itself only applies to pools that are built or remodeled after 2007.
    This home was built in 2007 so may be grandfathered. It is an 11,000 sq ft place that cost over $34M to build and is now for sale for $19.3M - hardly an example most of us can relate to as far as landscaping a pool and worrying about the aesthetics of a fence.

This link may work.

http://www.thepinnaclelist.com/profi...ego-ca-by-day/
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I don't know why people expect parents to watch their kids every darn second. My parents were strict as all get out (hello, Asian!), but I wasn't watched every darn second.
    I didn't watch mine every second, nor did my parents do that to me. But water is different. My fil had a swimming pool, in the summer time when we were visited him, I was with my kids everytime they went outside. Both kids took swimming lessons starting at 3, wore life jackets, water wings and every flotation device going. When they were old enough and adept enough, they were on their own. And we drilled into them many rules about what you can and can't do in or around the pool. It takes a lot of work, but water is unforgiving. It only takes 3 minutes to drown. So for any of you with small kids around water, no matter if it's a mud puddle, you're on the hook. There have been 4 people drown in my area in the last couple of years, they were adults. It only takes 3 minutes to drown.

I understand why people wouldn't want to double fence their pool. It really makes it too much trouble to take care of, to use. And I don't think they should have to if they've made a reasonable effort to keep out unwanted visitors. Others have to respect it's private property. That means parents with kids have to go that little bit extra. (shrug) ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice
    In some states, yes. Horses also fall (in certain states*) under "attractive nusiance", meaning the homeowner has to make an effort to keep people out. However, if they HAVE made the effort, and trespassers ignore the warning, the homeowner is not in fact liable--.........
    I think all over Canada pools are attractive nuisances. Living in the country, you have a tendency not to fence in pools etc.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    I didn't watch mine every second, nor did my parents do that to me. But water is different.
    Exactly. My mother didn't watch us ever instant of the day, but if we went to the neighbor's pool, she went and watched us. When we went to the pool at grandma's apartment complex, grandma came with us and watched. If it's your own house and you have kids, having the extra fence might be sensible. If you're visiting somewhere that has a pool, best to pay attention.

And if it's a pool on private property that you're not supposed to be in, teach your kids to stay the eff out and don't let ones too young to understand wander off on their own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    And why does it have to be an eyesore kiddie gate? Fences can be quite decorative and add to the ambiance.
    not to an infininty pool they can't !

vCash
    I was fortunate enough to grow up with a pool. My sisters and I had strict rules regarding the pool and pool safety. The grandchildren have these same rules. Very simple, if the rules were broken, priviledges were revoked, no exceptions. No one swims alone, no child is in the backyard unattended - ever, no bathing suit means no going on the cement surrounding the pool, under 5 must wear life jackets.

When we were small, the fence was immediately around the pool. As we aged and money was there, the fence moved outward until it eventually ended up at the perimeter of the yard. All doors leading to the backyard do have chimes. I can't speak for my sisters but it never crossed my mind to be in or around the pool without permission - it would have made for a miserable summer not being allowed to swim.

Drownings infuriate me, especially when it seems majority are from "supervisory" lapses. I understand that accidents happen but choosing to not supervise children around water is not acceptable. I always wonder if these same people would leave their children unattended in the bathtub.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    not to an infininty pool they can't !
    Well, the infinity part is generally built in a way that you can't access the pool from that side anyway.

But I'm sure a good architect and engineer could figure out how to use tempered glass fences appropriately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

Anyways, I have no real opinion on this but the pool in my condo building is outdoors and is surrounded by a glass fence and trees. It's actually quite pretty.
    No one thinks you have to supervise every kid every minute, but the example was a 16mo old. Why would you let a toddler be outdoors with or without a pool handy & not watch them every minute?

As a child, we got swimming lessons every summer but I don't ever remember being in a pool without an adult watching until I was in my teens & then it was only if I was swimming with a buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckSk8r View Post
    I always wonder if these same people would leave their children unattended in the bathtub.
    Probably. There are plenty of idiots in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    No one thinks you have to supervise every kid every minute, but the example was a 16mo old. Why would you let a toddler be outdoors with or without a pool handy & not watch them every minute?
    well, if it was my example - it isn't a pool, it is small pond in a completely fenced back yard. And if it wasn't for the pond, I don't think I need to watch him all the time, I can sit in the yard and mind my own stuff, or get in and get a glass of water. I honestly think toddlers need to explore and not be coddled.

However, I wanted to secure the water feature, since with the pond there, I would be reluctant to take my eyes off him even to read a book.

There is a difference to keeping tabs on someone in a secure place, and what you need to do in an dangerous environment, and any pool is that to a small child.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast