Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Men of 2009 Worlds revisited

I was at this competition, and at the time I was unhappy with the men's results. How would you rank these men and their performances?

Lysacek
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiAu8WI2WIY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK9ojmYIvt8

Chan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTSgo2KbeT8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwiGq...eature=related

Joubert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlhseikAVXM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnq4hj5kyZ0

I was really surprised that Patrick was only in third after the short. I thought he deserved first by a long shot (and I'm not a fan of his whatsoever). Brian's opening combo was a mess, and the triple toe should NOT have been ratified. That was a really bad call. Evan's short program to Bolero had a bunch of spastic movements, none of which showed any rhythmic relation to the music whatsoever...which pretty much defeats the purpose of a bolero. And then there's his wonky axel.

In the free program, Evan was much better but a bit slow and unmusical...Joubert had some great highlights but some sloppy moments as well, and his program didn't really hold together. Patrick doubled a loop and only did a 1toe after the second 3A, but I thought his program and skating skills were far superior to the others even if the performance was a bit flat. Even if he had lost the free by a slight bit to Evan, I though he should have been ahead by enough points in the short that he would overcome it. Below the top three Kozuka was mediocre, Oda crashed in the short and zayaked in the long, Contesti was clean, but I couldn't tell his footwork from his posing because he was so slow, Abbott had a bad short and a mediocre long...Mroz was Mroz...I think Denis Ten should have finished several places higher...I enjoyed him more than Lysacek and Joubert to be honest.

I would have placed Chan first and 2-3 is a toss up between Lysacek and Joubert. Here are the top three shorts and longs.
    Just my thoughts. Share yours?

vCash
    Soul crushing diaster of epic proportions and a horrible foreshadow of the equally soul crushing disaster vancouver olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Soul crushing diaster of epic proportions and a horrible foreshadow of the equally soul crushing disaster vancouver olympics.
    Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Any thoughts on Verner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Any thoughts on Verner?
    Maybe I'm biased but I personally would have had him 3rd and Joubert 4th. I knnow Verner had those doubles in the FS but it was still a better performance than Joubert's FS with that awkward, disruptive fall at the end. Then 1st and 2nd would stay as is. Joubert's Matrix Reloaded/Requiem program was just overall pretty crappy while Verner's Piazolla Tango medley program was one of the best he's ever had, IMO, and the same goes for his Gypsy Swing SP.

vCash
    I do remember being surprised that Chan didn't win the SP, but the judges seemed keen on Joubert winning Worlds...but of course Joubert had to change up his freeskate jump layout as he went along and the program suffered for it. Why can't he ever stick to a program? That 2A splat into the boards was a particularly bad choice on his part. I don't think he deserved anything more than third there, for sure.

I would have had Chan and Lysacek closer together points-wise, but the overall results didn't seem unjust. I didn't care for that Bolero SP (that was a TT program, right?), but I thought Evan's freeskate was well executed, probably the second strongest FS he's done (after 2007 Nationals FS). The big championships like Worlds and Olympics place a high premium on skating clean, and that Evan did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    The big championships like Worlds and Olympics place a high premium on skating clean, and that Evan did.
    That doesn't exactly explain Patrick's results at Worlds this year.

Just months before Worlds 09 at 4CC Evan delivered a better FS IMO (clean quad and a mistake on a 3A) but lost soundly to Chan who popped an axel and had no quad.

vCash
    My strongest memory from the 09 Worlds is all about Joubert. He looked so crushed at the end of the FS that I felt like rushing to him and give him a big hug to comfort him. He made me cry that day.
    In what concerns Lysacek, in my mind there's no doubt that he won fair and square.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    That doesn't exactly explain Patrick's results at Worlds this year.
    Yeah, Patrick seems to be the exception to the general rule. But note the French crowd booed that result mightily. I was fine with that result but it's really unpopular to let a messy skate beat a close rival's clean skate.

Just months before Worlds 09 at 4CC Evan delivered a better FS IMO (clean quad and a mistake on a 3A) but lost soundly to Chan who popped an axel and had no quad.
    Yeah, I remember that, it's part of why I was surprised that Chan found himself in third place after the 2009 Worlds SP. It's a bit conspiracy theory, but I think, coming off of the 2008-09 GP season and 2009 Nationals, Jeremy was starting to look like the #1 US man, meanwhile Evan had been weak all year long, which lowered him in the judges' esteem and caused his marks to suffer at 4CCs. But then Jeremy flopped at 4CCs : and then subsequently at 2009 Worlds :: and Evan quickly regained his unofficial #1 US man status in time to grab the gold medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Sadly true....

vCash
    I agree with the results. Lysacek had a great competition despite competing with a stress fracture in his foot that was diagnosed shortly after 4CC. Lysacek went on to back up his 2009 WC performance by winning the men's event at the 2009 World Team Trophy. (Lysacek 1st, Joubert 2nd, Oda 3rd, Chan 4th, Abbott 5th)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    (Lysacek 1st, Joubert 2nd, Oda 3rd, Chan 4th, Abbott 5th)
    :

vCash
    I thought Chan should have won to be honest, and I am every bit as anti Chan as I am anti Lysacek. His short program should have beaten Evan by several points on more, and even his two mistakes in the LP wouldnt have pulled him behind overall, although possibly in the LP. If you just give the two skaters the same PCS in both programs I believe Chan wins, and there is no way a close to clean Chan (let alone a clean Chan like the SP) should ever be below Evan in PCS. Anyway I have ZERO doubt if Worlds were held in Moscow, Nice, Vancouver, Brisbane, basically anywhere outside the U.S, heck possibly even outside Evan's home territory, he would not have won. He probably would have been 3rd behind Joubert based on rep points in fact. Also his win there gave him a huge boost for the Olympics and I doubt he ever wins there had he not won the 2009 Worlds.

Why do the judges have to gift Chan numerous wins even with stumbly performances over a stud skater like Takahashi, and rob him of a win vs Evan of all people. Skating judges are infuriating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

Why do the judges have to gift Chan numerous wins even with stumbly performances over a stud skater like Takahashi, and rob him of a win vs Evan of all people. Skating judges are infuriating.
    That's roughly how I feel about the situation. Interesting to note that Patrick, the king of PCS, scored lower than both Lysacek AND Joubert in both phases of that competition. (see: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2009/ )

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I also thought Chan should have won Worlds that year. He actually had great programs that year! It's so strange how he was sort of dumped by the judges in the SP by being placed 3rd with a clean performance.

My results would have been:
    1. Chan
    2. Lysacek
    3. Verner
    4. Joubert
    5. Ten
    6. Contesti

If Abbott had delivered his SP from Nationals and LP from the GPF, he would have been a very worthy World Champion! *le sigh*

vCash
    If Abbott delivered any of his international programs like the ones he does at Nationals, who knows where he could be...

vCash
    I really wish Verner had managed to win a World medal that year...it's eluded him for so long and it's highly unlikely he'll manage to win one now. Le sigh. I thought he did enough to be placed ahead of Joubert but maybe I'm in the minority.

I agree that it's a toss up btwn 1st and 2nd though...I understand why Lysacek won, but I think Chan could have reasonably won as well.

vCash
    Any thoughts on Verner?
    I remember having the same reaction to both of his programs. Amazed in the opening and then underwhelmed/let down by the conclusion. In addition to the missed jumps, the energy and speed just seemed go and the programs deflated.

I really loved Oda's lp, his 4/3 was one of the most gorgeous I've seen and wished that he had been able to pull up to the podium but losing 9-10 points on a 3/2/2 combo because you've done too many combinations pretty much made that impossible

vCash
    Any thoughts on Verner?
    He's adorable.

vCash
    Any thoughts on Verner?
    He wuzrobbed in the short program but finished where he should have overall.

2009 Worlds were awful and I try to pretend they never happened. It's much better to go from Jeff winning in 2008 to Dai's fantastic showing in 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast