vCash

Cool Technology and Talking Dogs

In the first video (No more woof) they are begging for money but it's still a fun concept. I'm thinking they were inspired by Pixar's Up and even though it's more of a marketing ploy I bet they make money with it. They are trying to recognize common brainwave patterns in dogs and program their device to say things like "I'm hungry" instead of relying on your dog barking. This one inspires giggles from me more than thinking it's actual science.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/tal...ry?id=22680323

The 2nd video that played for me (the bond between man's best friend and their owner) is a study to see if dogs can recognize human emotion. This one was actually more fascinating to me because the same human brain centers for humans seem to be active in dogs. This one would be fascinating to keep an eye on.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I would love to be able to talk to my dog and have her talk back. Wouldn't it be fun to hear what they were really thinking!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I would love to be able to talk to my dog and have her talk back. Wouldn't it be fun to hear what they were really thinking!
    Except that, you should be able to figure out without the device: food food food, poop poop poop, play play play, chase chase chase.

Where this could really be interesting is if it's ever able to help humans - can you imagine someone who has lost their ability to speak, and who, instead of having to use the "text to speak" devices, as Stephen Hawking does, where you have either canned phrases to use or else you must write your lecture in advance - can instead simply... talk? I know that scientists are currently experimenting with brain-controlled interfaces for stuff like this, but they aren't quite there yet.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I hadn't thought about this in terms of using it with humans but should have. That would be a great use for this device.

I found a show on Netflix called Prophets of Science Fiction. It's pretty fascinating to see how science has influenced authors/movies and how authors/movies inspired science. It kind of reminded me of this situation because the whole talking dog just screams influence from Up.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot