Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Next Food Network Star

Anyone watching Next Food Network Star?

I like the cast this year a lot. I was iffy on the Pageant Girl and the Italian Stallion, but they seem to have actual culinary chops. I've noticed that some FN seasons they're doing it just because the show itself gets ratings and fills a gap, and some years they use it to build up a stable of potential stars. This year seems to be about building up a stable of potential stars. At this point, there are several I would watch and I think some of the non-winners could very well end up with show on FN's sister station. I like the cowboy and the butcher. I don't like farm to table girl.

I'm often very good at picking the winner of FN, but never good at whether their actual show would be very good. Loved Damaris on FN. Thought her show would be a sure-fire hit. It's awful; I've yet to get through a single show of hers. Thought Jeff Morrow as a winner was just dumb--who the hell wants a show about just sandwiches, but it's so good, it's one of the few shows where I've actually made something I've seen.

Early favorites? Early ones you want to push under a food truck?
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I watched the first episode a week or two ago. I love this show because it's the closest thing to my favorite reality TV show of all time, Superstar USA: They take totally shameless famewhores, bombard them with a mixture of convoluted criticism and hubris-enhancing compliments, and we get to watch them believe they are going to become "stars" (and I do realize that some of them have become stars or "stars," but still).

Hopefully Cowboy Daddy will serve a dish on his Texas-sized belt buckle and cause the smug FN-exec judges to spontaneously combust and/or spontaneously masturbate. And Chris, with his man-child schtick and bow-tie, is another potential goldmine for unintentional hilarity. Referring to one of the other contestants as "zippity," as if that is or will ever become an accepted English adjective, was endearing. Endearing in the sense that I wanted someone with a hook (perhaps Sandra Lee, as long as her hook was thick, rich, and licious) to show up and remove him from live television forever.

Keep it fame-whorish, keep it zippity, and always keep it pie style.

vCash
    I'm mad that hunky Luca got chopped. Am convinced it was because another Italian guy named Luca won another similar contest a year or two ago. Some of the women contestants talk like kindergarten or meditation teachers. They know who they are and I want them out asap. Go, cowboy! That is all I have to say about the show. My husband is a Food Network addict.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I'm mad that hunky Luca got chopped. Am convinced it was because another Italian guy named Luca won another similar contest a year or two ago. Some of the women contestants talk like kindergarten or meditation teachers. They know who they are and I want them out asap. Go, cowboy! That is all I have to say about the show. My husband is a Food Network addict.
    You may be thinking of Fabio from Top Chef. Luca is no Fabio.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Luca won Master Chef last season.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm pretty sure Luca will be back. He's the only one whose show I'd watch just because he's really pretty. The cowboy is annoying. It's not just being able to cook.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I don't care for contestants with a "gimmick".
    FN has too many of those already.

Give me someone who really can cook. please.

vCash
    Obviously, Cowboy Lenny is an early frontrunner.

He's got a persona but personable (but still calls out people on their bs), and can cook.

I also like Christopher (the executive chef), Nicole (boring #1) and Emma (boring #2). I also think Reuben (bearded guy) has that it factor. Hopefully they'll come out of their shells.

I think POV and polish are less important over personality. I mean, who would've thought Russell "7 Deadly Sins" and Rodney "Pie Style" would make it to the top 3 last year over Nikki and Stacy, who were both excellent?

I think Kenny (Asian guy) will have a spectacular temper tantrum. He's like the total opposite of Viet. And unless Aryen gets her food together she won't last long either. Luca had to go though; I really couldn't understand what he was saying at all.

vCash
    Is anyone still watching?

Did I call elimination #3 and #4 correctly or what?

Christopher was obviously the best chef and could make a comeback via Star Salvation.

Nice to see Nicole and Emma come out of their shells. I could see a final three with them and Lenny.

vCash
    I watch, sporadically.

vCash
    As do I!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Luca won Master Chef last season.
    It was another Luca, though.

Christopher was awful in front of the camera, but it was ironic that the only consistently good cook got tossed. Apparently it was a 2-1 decision with Bobby Flay getting overruled. The next ones I want to see leave are the "butcher babe" and the blonde from Texas who are both truly annoying. Ruben, who isnt very good either on camera or in the kitchen, should go after them, even though he seems like a nice guy.

I agree with all_empty on the final three, though it would be great if either Chris could get it togethet, as he's so adorable, or hunky Luca could return thanks to the Salvation show. I didnt expect Nicole and Emma to emerge the way they have either, so that's been fun. At this point I just hope whoever wins can actually cook. After last night, you have to wonder.

vCash
    I think the Food Network is running out of contestants for this. That would be the only thing that would explain this sad final 6. I would have eliminated both Sarah and Chris
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Ditto!
    I dislike their current emphasis on persona rather than ability to cook.
    Who cares about their personality if they have no skills?

vCash
    Lenny makes sense to be the winner. He has personality and can actually cook, and they don't have anyone like him on the network. Put like this, I'd watch his show.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I dislike their current emphasis on persona rather than ability to cook.
    This is exactly why I feel that Food Network in general is in serious decline. Most of the shows just don't interest me at all any more.

vCash
    ^^Agreed, I mean I welcome competition shows, but all they seem to show at this point is Guy Fieri shows or seeing what someone can cook in 30 minutes with one hand behind their back while being attached to a koala( or whatever) it gets after a while, shows with quality cooking would be nice to get, but idk about too much of that happening anytime soon

vCash
    They need to remember that great chefs who had personality and cared about making good food "accessible" to the viewer, made the network successful.

vCash
    Was anyone else disgusted that Chris went home before Sarah? She spent the whole show whining and did badly on every assignment. I felt that was a terrible decision. I also would have been fine with Nicole being disqualified for lying outright about an ingredient. I cant believe she got away with that.

Go, Lenny! Even before last night my husband was saying he couldnt imagine anyone else winning. I love his "whatever it takes" attitude.

On another, but related note: I'm really looking forward to Chopped: Teen Tournament, all week at 10 pm starting tomorrow night. I'm a sucker for talented, hardworking, no-excuses teenagers!

vCash
    It's true that sarah was so weak but its like Chris didn't even know how to even come close to reaching potential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast