vCash
    Yu-na drops defamation suit against Prof. Hwang

Source: Korea Times

ADMIN EDIT: Do not copy and paste entire articles. See Rule #13
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/anno....php?f=14&a=37

vCash
    You're really enjoying it, aren't you Simba lol

vCash
    So she really had no hope of winning and the suit was generating bad publicity. No surprises there.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I don't see anything that leads to the conclusion that she couldn't win legally. The question seems to be whether it would cost her more in terms of reputation and marketability if she went on with it. I think the mistake was not to realize that it would and to take another approach.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I don't know that the lawsuit would have cost her anything with respect to reputation. My sense was the lawsuit was keeping the issue in the media, and this was giving the professors lots more exposure than he would have otherwise. So removing the lawsuit was taking away his platform.

In that respect, I think that was a smart decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I don't know that the lawsuit would have cost her anything with respect to reputation. My sense was the lawsuit was keeping the issue in the media, and this was giving the professors lots more exposure than he would have otherwise. So removing the lawsuit was taking away his platform.

In that respect, I think that was a smart decision.

If it was a "smart decision" to drop the lawsuit that means it was not a smart decision to file one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    If it was a "smart decision" to drop the lawsuit that means it was not a smart decision to file one.
    your logic kills me.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    your logic kills me.
    Does that mean you will stop posting, or will you have an internet connection from beyond the grave?

I happen to agree with her logic. YMMV.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Simba, your post is kinda an infringement of copyright. You and FSU could be confronted with being filed.

And the article from Korea times is as hostile as always with comments from nowhere. No surprise at all.

ETA: I reported simba's post.
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 06-15-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    So she really had no hope of winning and the suit was generating bad publicity. No surprises there.
    No one, no judge and no lawyer can confirm the result. I am working at a court and visited courts in US and Japan several times. And I couldnt find any difference with this among HERE and THERE.

I mean legal system is not that predictable.
    This too will pass away.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Simba, your post is kinda an infringement of copyright. You and FSU could be confronted with being filed.
    Well, could be, but probably wouldn't be. Most reporters and publishers contact us with a request to take the copied and pasted article down if we haven't caught it already, and we comply, and that's the end of it.

Some rattle their sabers at us, but really? Suing over something like that would be a major headache and hardly worth the time or expense.

That doesn't mean we don't want to be compliant with the law or that we don't appreciate it when someone reports such posts, just that it's usually not some major deal.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Well, could be, but probably wouldn't be. Most reporters and publishers contact us with a request to take the copied and pasted article down if we haven't caught it already, and we comply, and that's the end of it.

Some rattle their sabers at us, but really? Suing over something like that would be a major headache and hardly worth the time or expense.

That doesn't mean we don't want to be compliant with the law or that we don't appreciate it when someone reports such posts, just that it's usually not some major deal.
    Don' take it that serious. It was a joke. I'd rather add this icon
    Apology!
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Here's a symbolic example.

• 2007 some insisted "Tablo, a frontman of premier Korean rap group Epik High, did not graduate Stanford University." He, Tablo, didn't feel to react. They kept insisting the slander and asking him to prove it. Media treated it. Finally, he posted his diploma and wrote "I graduated!" at his homepage. But they insisted "That's a lie and the diploma is fabricated."
    • 2010 They gathered 120,000 registered users and kept calling him a liar. Finally Tablo sued them. The admin who lived in the States suddenly disappeared and was wanted by Interpol. Anyway, some of them were found guilty but appealed against the decision.
    • 2012 Nine people from the forum were sentenced up to 2 1/2 years of jail time in the court of appeals.

This is the real. Don't ask Yuna to stay calm.

Korean pop star battles attacks on Stanford record from Stanford Daily.
    [TABLO] Wins Case vs. Tajinyo from koreanupdates.com
    I just read about this in a late issue of Wired magazine. Tablo lost everything, it sounds like, and never did regain his reputation. Based on that mess, and the facts of this case, I think Yu-Na had to take this path.

vCash
    Following the suit, reactions have turned favorably toward Hwang.
    This Korea Times's reporter doesn't know or pretends not to know how professor Hwang's reputation got damaged.
    After this issue, the masses' idea about him turned from 'a famous university's professor who appears often in TV' to 'a authoritarian psycho'.
    It is somewhat fatal for him who loves the media activities more than lectures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Team YuNa had no idea this guy is really a psycho. It was clear that YuNa can win but only after a series of noises this guys would make. So they droped it.

Anyway, this guy, Hwang who is a attnetionb-seeker, got really his reputation damaged and will never be invited by TV or raido.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    Team YuNa had no idea this guy is really a psycho. It was clear that YuNa can win but only after a series of noises this guys would make. So they droped it.

Anyway, this guy, Hwang who is a attnetionb-seeker, got really his reputation damaged and will never be invited by TV or raido.
    Generally before you file suit a lawyer does this little thing call "due dilegence"

That's where you find out that one or both parties are "psycho" or if the suit has any basis.

That way you reduce the risk of embarassment by filing what appear to be "waste of time" lawsuits which require your supporters to trash talk to make you look good.

Team YuNa appears to be from the "fire then aim" school at times.

vCash
    I don't even like Yu-na all that much, and I was all set to agree with the people who said Yu-na had overreacted until I realized that this was a professor from a different university!

I completely agree that it's unfair that some celebrities/athletes just skirt by at colleges and are given special treatment, but in this case he wasn't speaking "in general", he was making an individual accusation, which was completely unfounded as he doesn't even teach at her university.

Many people assume all celebrities who want to attend college aren't actually earning the degree, or only got in due to their name. This is often true, but not always. I would be absolutely fuming if someone discredited my hard work based upon the actions of others.

With that said, I do agree that perhaps a simple public statement would've sufficed, rather than a lawsuit..maybe even with the support of one of her actual professors.

EDIT: I have read about the whole Tablo fiasco and honestly my blood was boiling. The extent to which these people had gone, the high level of delusion, the obsession. It's frightening.
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 07-29-2012 at 06:42 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    You miss the point. The facts were easily verifiable. So easily, in fact, that the ensuing uproar about whether or not he had in fact graduated, was ridiculous. Anyone could have gone to the university's website and confirmed whether or not he was listed as a graduate.

How can you lose trust if the facts can be so easily verified? I would say that the fault lies with the celebrity for not correcting the error in the first place. He allowed the situation to continue for too long when a simple clarification at the beginning would have solved everything.

This type of hyper-active over-reaction by all parties involved seems like a huge waste of energy to me.
    I'm not sure any random person can just go to a school's website and verify if someone graduated. Sometimes schools publish articles about commencements with list of current graduates but those can expire or go offline.

One of the reasons that whole controversy grew to the extent it did was that his very own cousin (a very bitter, delusional individual I might add) fanned the flames (although he later retracted much of it). To Tablo's haters, who could be a more credible source than his own cousin? After it was verified that someone with his name did graduate (and Stanford professors even stepped forward to verify), they then tracked down another Stanford graduate with the same name and even accused him of being paid off by Tablo to play along with the fact that Tablo had graduated. The person in question was legit stalked online just because he had the same name!!!

It literally RUINED Tablo's life for many years, and ruined the lives of his relatives, including his brother (who lost his job because of it!!). Wired did a really amazing story on the entire ordeal that will boggle your mind:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/04/ff_koreanrapper/
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 07-29-2012 at 07:03 AM.

vCash
    ^ Very, ridiculously overdue comments on your part, don't you think? People have moved on and facts came out immediately already back then. I recommend you to move on as well

vCash
    *Initial rude reply edited out*

I didn't realize it was so old when I first responded to it
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 07-29-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast