Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash

vCash
    You miss the point. The facts were easily verifiable. So easily, in fact, that the ensuing uproar about whether or not he had in fact graduated, was ridiculous. Anyone could have gone to the university's website and confirmed whether or not he was listed as a graduate.

How can you lose trust if the facts can be so easily verified? I would say that the fault lies with the celebrity for not correcting the error in the first place. He allowed the situation to continue for too long when a simple clarification at the beginning would have solved everything.

This type of hyper-active over-reaction by all parties involved seems like a huge waste of energy to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Every year Yu-Na is involved in a law suit for some reason or another. This is very poor business practice. A law suit should be seen as a last resort in settling disputes as they are expensive, time consuming, and take both time and energy away from more profitable pursuits.

This case is especially bad from a PR point of view: Yu-Na is very wealthy and the professor is not. This could be seen as bullying someone with a legitimate point, into silence. If athletes are being gifted with degrees they don't have the class time to merit, then Yu-Na could have said that while she is aware that this has gone on, it wasn't true in her case. Instead, she has attacked the man who criticized the system.

In her previous law suits, Yu-Na has taken on corporations with enormous assets. In this case, she has attacked a working man. Not the same thing at all.

Whoever is managing her business affairs is making her seem like a very contentious person to deal with. Not a good image for prospective employers.
    False! This is her 2nd lawsuit in 6 years of her senior career.

You (and others) are too fast in making a conclusion that team YuNa are too inexperienced and stupid to make a judgement. Don't you think it is a non-sense? She is advised by top lawyers. There must be some reason she has to file a suit. You are not YuNa and you are not in Korea. She and people around her have their own thoughts. You may not agree with them. Fine, but it doen't mean they are all stupid and you are far smarter than them.

vCash
    You miss the point. The facts were easily verifiable. So easily, in fact, that the ensuing uproar about whether or not he had in fact graduated, was ridiculous. Anyone could have gone to the university's website and confirmed whether or not he was listed as a graduate.

How can you lose trust if the facts can be so easily verified? I would say that the fault lies with the celebrity for not correcting the error in the first place. He allowed the situation to continue for too long when a simple clarification at the beginning would have solved everything.

This type of hyper-active over-reaction by all parties involved seems like a huge waste of energy to me.
    So true.

Easily verified from many sources BUT they refused to believe. When Tablo opened his diploma and academic card, they said it's fabricated. When Tablo went to Stanford to prove it, they didn't believe what Stanford officially announced. On the website, they strongly denied and added "Another person lookalike".

And they still don't believe the fact even after they convicted.

Conspiracy!

Sorry for getting off the subject!
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 06-12-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Table -> Tablo ;)
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    You (and others) are too fast in making a conclusion that team YuNa are too inexperienced and stupid to make a judgement. Don't you think it is a non-sense? She is advised by top lawyers. There must be some reason she has to file a suit. You are not YuNa and you are not in Korea. She and people around her have their own thoughts. You may not agree with them. Fine, but it doen't mean they are all stupid and you are far smarter than them.
    Don't put words into people's posts that are not there. No one called anyone stupid nor was it implied and it is very rude of you to suggest that they did.

Either Korea is a very litigious society, or Yu-Na is a very litigious young woman.

vCash
    I was hoping for some news about Yu-na, but this was not it. What is she doing skating wise these days?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I was hoping for some news about Yu-na, but this was not it. What is she doing skating wise these days?
    AFAIK, she is training as always. Plan to announce her next schedule in July or Aug.

ETA: This Friday, leave for Shanghai to perform at Shen/Zhao's last ice show.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Oh dear me.... the different opinions probably arise out of difference in culture and thinking (East vs West).
    Let me briefly quote a case many years ago.. Michael Fay's canning case in Singapore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay
    At the height of this case, Americans thought Singapore was inhumane to cane this boy (note that according to Singapore law, such actions are punishable and attract canning and this is applicable to both foreigners and locals) whilst locals thought Michael deserved to be punished according to the law and see no reason why a foreigner deserved special treatment compared to a local. Many locals do not sympathise with Michael compared to Americans. A case in 'different perceptions brought on by difference in culture and attitudes'.

vCash
    It's so easy to blame everything on the cultural difference and avoid finding true answers.
    Lawsuit is a lawsuit, and the mechanism is pretty similar whereever you go.
    As a country, Korea isn't that strange.

vCash
    Graduating classes are listed on the university's website
    Really? Where?
    Anyone could have gone to the university's website and confirmed whether or not he was listed as a graduate.
    Could you post a link to that?

vCash
    I am of the school of thought that there are some culturally-specific factors at play here (though, having said that, I also do think that Yuna---or maybe her mother?? Or both??---have brash and confrontational style of going about doing things, established not only by this incident but by other countless episodes).

I am not Korean, but I have been informed that being a female entertainer in Korea is regarded as akin to being a high-class whore. (So apparently, it's common for even the most popular actresses in Korea to be forced to sleep with sponsors by their production company, right?) In other words, being an entertainer is a low status occupation. However, being a national athlete is a very high status position/occupation.

During the time that Yuna was competing, she could reap the financial benefits of appearing in commercials much in the style of an 'entertainer' without being treated like/seen as an entertainer because she was a national athlete, but now that she's not competing regularly, she's coming closer to just being an entertainer and that makes it difficult for Korean society to place her, I think, and so she's apparently getting alot of 'unreasonable' bashing, right??

Also, I think Korea is a male-oriented, Confucianist society, and a society like that will probably find it even more difficult to know how to treat her. Until few years ago, men around her could probably afford to cut her alot of slack because she was a 'national hero' and also lived abroad so that made her different from just being a regular Korean woman, but now, she lives in Korea, doesn't compete, and so hence, alot of angst and uncertainty in terms of how Korean society should treat her.

(Similarly, with the hiphop male star, it was important for him to absolutely establish that he had a degree from Stanford because that was the only thing that would protect him from being seen within Korean society as just an entertainer---i.e., male whore or pimp---and Korean society couldn't readily accept that this guy who should normally be regarded as 'low status' had a 'high status' attribute---i.e., a degree from a famous American university. (Korea is a country that prizes academic degrees, I believe.)

vCash
    Every year Yu-Na is involved in a law suit for some reason or another.
    She is? Can you refresh my memory? I remember only one other suit, where she sued her former agent to get out of her contract, or something like that, a few years ago.

vCash
    magnolia, I was lost for words.

If it's logical I can contradict line by line but what you wrote were just
    Hope you to have a chance to learn more and study harder at school.

ETA: If possible, learn correctly.
    Even though you're a lecture in a Univ in an island, you can learn if you want. Is this professional courtesy?
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 06-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    . Freedom of speech (Article 21 of the Constitution or Korea) must be protected and inviolable fundamental human rights (Article 10) as well.
    There's freedom of speech, but nobody has freedom of slander. Here in the US if you make false statements about someone, you can be sued. Same for lying under oath etc.. Same goes for Korea.

I don't know if Yu-na was right to sue or not. BUT, the Professor absolutely had no right to make false accusations about Kim's education or predict she'd commit suicide...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    There's freedom of speech, but nobody has freedom of slander. Here in the US if you make false statements about someone, you can be sued. Same for lying under oath etc.. Same goes for Korea.

I don't know if Yu-na was right to sue or not. BUT, the Professor absolutely had no right to make false accusations about Kim's education or predict she'd commit suicide...
    I also don't believe it was the best reaction. She should take periphrastic reaction in as kindly a manner as possible.

It's very sorry but he, a self-claimed world-class psychologist, is the last man to communicate with.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    She is? Can you refresh my memory? I remember only one other suit, where she sued her former agent to get out of her contract, or something like that, a few years ago.
    She also sued another former agency for withholding income from her. She received judgement on this case in January of this year. And now this lawsuit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    I am not Korean, but I have been informed that being a female entertainer in Korea is regarded as akin to being a high-class whore.
    Those kooky Koreans

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    During the time that Yuna was competing, she could reap the financial benefits of appearing in commercials much in the style of an 'entertainer' without being treated like/seen as an entertainer because she was a national athlete, but now that she's not competing regularly, she's coming closer to just being an entertainer and that makes it difficult for Korean society to place her, I think, and so she's apparently getting alot of 'unreasonable' bashing, right??
    oh no you di'int. Yuna's fans will make you pay for that one.

vCash
    Here is my take on dilemma that YNK is facing.

She used to be a star athlete who represented her country very well.
    Korean companies were keen on using her image to sell their stuff and as a result, she made lots of money from endorsements.

After Vancouver Olympics were over, she was pretty much done with competitive skating. After a short while, Korean companies were becoming less interested in using her. Sensing this, Mummy forced her daughter to compete again at the 2011 Worlds. This backfired and YNK flopped, loosing to zzzzzz Ando.

Although, YNK's motivations for competitive skating dropped even further, mummy wasn't done making $$$. What they decided to do was keep the image of national athlete alive by refusing to announce retirement, and make as many public appearence as they can, in order to maintain level of attention they receive.

No matter how hard they tried, endorsement business wasn't like how it used to be. In the good old days, YNK handpicked companies or products she would endorse, out of numerous candidates. She marketed latest and coolest version of Samsung mobile phones. She endorsed a low-fat yogurt rightfully named 'Pure'. These days, she endorses less glamorous items like gasoline, and even appears in commercials for less healthy and wholesome items, such as beer.

As choice of endorsements gets narrower, and purse gets thinner, YNK seems to pursuit harder for ways to receive public attention. Naturally, more people raise their criticisms towards her, and BAM!, a dispute develops eventually and turns into a law suit.

Her problem is not wanting to compete any more, but at the same time, wanting to maintain all the lucrative endorsement fees that she made when she was an Olympic athlete IMO.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 06-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.

vCash
    Yuna volunteered to do the high school teaching in order to fulfill the requirement to get her college degree. And this is weeks-long commitment (not paid of course), and not a one-day publicity stunt. How can anyone call this a "show?"

The professor is the one who is hungry for some public attention, and he is a total idiot. He just said today on air, "how can a student dare criticize a college professor" and said that this is an example of how college education today has fallen... He is a disgrace to higher education and should be banned from teaching ever again, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaia View Post
    Yuna volunteered to do the high school teaching in order to fulfill the requirement to get her college degree. And this is weeks-long commitment (not paid of course), and not a one-day publicity stunt. How can anyone call this a "show?"
    If it's a requirement for her college degree, it cannot be said that she "volunteered" to teach.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast